Find the nth term of the sequence (Explicit formula)

In summary, the problem is to find an explicit formula for the sequence 7/6, 45/54, 275/648, 1625/9720... where each term can be represented as An = Bn/Cn. After analyzing the pattern of Bn and Cn, the explicit formula is determined to be An = (2n+5) 5^n-1 / 3(n+1) Cn-1, with Cn defined as Cn = Cn-1 * 3(n+1) and C0 = 1. This formula represents the sequence in terms of A only.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

{ 7/6 , 45/54 , 275/648, 1625/9720 ... }

Problem from a practice exam. My instructions are to find an explicit formula for the above sequence..

The Attempt at a Solution

Let An =7/6 , 45/54 , 275/648, 1625/9720 ...

Allow An = Bn / Cn

Bn = 7, 45, 275, 1625... (2n+5) 5n-1 starting at n = 1

Cn = 6,54,648,9720... 3(n+1) [ What multiplies here is the preceding term, so if we allow n = 2 , we multiply the expression by 6 to get 54, if we allow n = 3, we multiply by 54 to get 648, if we allow n = 4, we multiply by 648 to get 9720.

I have no idea how to express this, or if there is a better way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cn=Cn-13(n+1) and declare that C0=1

cpsinkule said:
Cn=Cn-13(n+1) and declare that C0=1

∴ Starting at n=1 An = (2n+5) 5n-1 / 3(n+1) Cn-1 , where we have declared C0 = 1

Noting that Bn & Cn equal what we have defined above.

Correct?

The entire sequence can't be indexed by two letters, A and C, you need to find a form where you only need A

cpsinkule said:
The entire sequence can't be indexed by two letters, A and C, you need to find a form where you only need A

So I have to rewrite Cn in terms of A only? Is this possible? I am drawing a complete blank :))

Figured it out!

1. What is the nth term in a sequence?

The nth term in a sequence is the term that occurs in the nth position of the sequence. For example, in the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, the fifth term would be 10.

2. What is an explicit formula for a sequence?

An explicit formula for a sequence is a mathematical expression that can be used to find any term in the sequence by simply plugging in the term number. It is also called a general term or a closed-form expression.

3. How do I find the nth term in a sequence using the explicit formula?

To find the nth term in a sequence using the explicit formula, you need to first identify the pattern in the sequence. Then, use the pattern to create a general term that represents the sequence. Finally, plug in the value of n to find the specific term.

4. Can an explicit formula be used for any sequence?

No, not all sequences can be represented by an explicit formula. Some sequences have irregular or unpredictable patterns that cannot be expressed by a simple formula.

5. What is the difference between an explicit formula and a recursive formula?

An explicit formula uses a mathematical expression to directly calculate any term in the sequence, while a recursive formula uses previous terms in the sequence to calculate the next term. An explicit formula is often easier to use, but a recursive formula can be more useful for certain types of sequences.