Find the order of the pole of a function

In summary: It's just the same way you computed the order of the pole. Although you flipped cosine with sine.Sorry I'm still not understanding. how does one compute the degree of the sine funciton? does ##u=2\sin z - 2 +z^2## have a degree of 2?
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 4.51.24 PM.png
I learned that ##f## has another singular point at ##z=1.715##, but i don't think this would be related to the pole at ##z=0##

I tried substitutine ##u=2\cos z-2+z^2##

and $$f(u)=\frac{1}{u^2}$$ has a pole of order 2 at ##u=0## which happens i.f.f. ##z=0## or ##z=1.715##.

so ##f## has a pole of second order at ##u=0## equivalent to ##z=0##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to be honest i feel ilke my logic is shaky at the conclusion.. I'm not sure how to draw the connection between the the orders of the pole at u=0 and the pole at z=0. like they are the equivalent pole of ##f## so its order stays the same during the ##u## substitution?

Have you considered using the series expansion of the cosine?

• Love
Likes FactChecker and docnet
fresh_42 said:
Have you considered using the series expansion of the cosine?
trying the series expansion of the cosine:

$$f=\frac{1}{(2\cos z-2+z^2)^2}=\frac{1}{(2(1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\cdots)-2+z^2)^2}=\frac{1}{(\frac{2z^4}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{z^8(\frac{2}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$

$$f=\frac{g}{z^8}\quad\text{with}\quad g=\frac{1}{(\frac{2}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$

$$g(0)=144\neq 0$$. ##z=0## is an 8th order pole of ##f##!

Likes FactChecker and fresh_42
That looks good to me.

To make a somewhat silly counterexample to your first attempt, ##f(z)=1/(z^2)^2##, let ##u=z^2##, then ##f(u)=1/u^2##. The problem is the ##u## that you picked has a zero of order 4 at ##z=0##.

• Love
Likes docnet
docnet said:
trying the series expansion of the cosine:

$$f=\frac{1}{(2\cos z-2+z^2)^2}=\frac{1}{(2(1-\frac{z^2}{2!}+\cdots)-2+z^2)^2}=\frac{1}{(\frac{2z^4}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{z^8(\frac{2}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$

$$f=\frac{g}{z^8}\quad\text{with}\quad g=\frac{1}{(\frac{2}{4!}-\cdots)^2}$$

$$g(0)=144\neq 0$$. ##z=0## is an 8th order pole of ##f##!
You can check it with WolframAlpha:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=f(z)=z^7/(2cos+z+-2++z^2)^2
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=f(z)=z^8/(2cos+z+-2++z^2)^2

• Love
Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
That looks good to me.

To make a somewhat silly counterexample to your first attempt, ##f(z)=1/(z^2)^2##, let ##u=z^2##, then ##f(u)=1/u^2##. The problem is the ##u## that you picked has a zero of order 4 at ##z=0##.
would you mind please explaining this more?

docnet said:
would you mind please explaining this more?

When you reduced f to ##f(u)=1/u^2##, your ##u(z)## was a function that looked like ##z^4##, so you couldn't use the order of the pole of ##f(u)## to compute the order of the pole of ##f(z)##, because ##u(z)## had a high degree zero at 0, i e. Looked like ##z^4##.

If it's still not clear I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you understand the technique in your first post doesn't work and you have to do a series expansion to get the answer.

Likes docnet
Office_Shredder said:
When you reduced f to ##f(u)=1/u^2##, your ##u(z)## was a function that looked like ##z^4##, so you couldn't use the order of the pole of ##f(u)## to compute the order of the pole of ##f(z)##, because ##u(z)## had a high degree zero at 0, i e. Looked like ##z^4##.

If it's still not clear I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you understand the technique in your first post doesn't work and you have to do a series expansion to get the answer.
Sorry I'm still not understanding. how does one compute the degree of the sine funciton? does ##u=2\sin z - 2 +z^2## have a degree of 2? I'm confused and I don't know how to find a degree of a zero

docnet said:
Sorry I'm still not understanding. how does one compute the degree of the sine funciton? does ##u=2\sin z - 2 +z^2## have a degree of 2? I'm confused and I don't know how to find a degree of a zero

It's just the same way you computed the order of the pole. Although you flipped cosine with sine.

##2\cos(z) -2+z^2 = z^4g(z)## where ##g(0)## is not zero, so this is a zero of order 4. I was calling it a zero of degree 4 but I think that's not actually standard terminology, sorry.

1. What is the definition of a pole in a function?

A pole in a function is a point at which the function becomes infinite or undefined. It is also known as a singularity.

2. How do you find the order of a pole in a function?

The order of a pole in a function is determined by the highest power of the variable in the denominator of the function. For example, if the denominator has a (x-2)^3 term, the pole would be of order 3.

3. Can a function have more than one pole?

Yes, a function can have multiple poles. Each pole would have its own order, which is determined by the highest power of the variable in the denominator.

4. How do you determine if a pole is a simple pole or a higher-order pole?

A simple pole is a pole of order 1, meaning the highest power of the variable in the denominator is 1. A higher-order pole would have an order greater than 1. To determine the order, you can factor the denominator and see the highest power of the variable.

5. Why is it important to find the order of a pole in a function?

Finding the order of a pole in a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function near that point. It also helps us determine the type of singularity the function has, which can provide insight into the properties of the function.