Find the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pdf of S, given that it is the sum of three independent and uniformly distributed variables on the interval (0,1). The pdf of S is found to be a square pulse function, with a value of 2 in the range 0<S<1 and a value of 2-S in the range 1<S<2. The conversation then moves on to discussing the convolution of two random variables, S and Z, to find the pdf of W. The appropriate integral is provided, but there is some uncertainty about the intervals of integration.
Dwolfson
I am stumped.

I have that W=X+Y+Z and that S=X+Y

These are all X, Y, & Z and Independent and Uniformly Distributed on (0,1)

I found the pdf of S to be (Assume all these < rep. less than or equal to):

S when 0<S<1
2-S when 0<S<1

So I continued:

To do pdf of S+Z=W

I figured there will be 3 intervals:

when 0<W<1, 1<W<2, and 2<W<3:

I Have figured out the one from 0<W<1

to be integral from 0 to W pdf(w)=S(pdf(W-S))ds

= W^2/2

For the other two intervals I am struggling on which pdf of S to use and what is the interval of integration..

Thank you in advance for your help,
--Derek

Physics news on Phys.org
so the sum of 2 RVs is given by their convolution, in particular the square pulse integral
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution

so for S = X+Y, with [itex] p_X(X=x), \ p_Y(Y=y) [/itex]
[tex] p_S(s) = \int dx p_X(x) p_Y(s-x)[/tex]

similarly, it should just follow that for W = S + Z
[tex] p_W(w) = \int dz p_Z(z) p_S(w-z)[/tex]

Dwolfson said:
I am stumped.

I have that W=X+Y+Z and that S=X+Y

These are all X, Y, & Z and Independent and Uniformly Distributed on (0,1)

I found the pdf of S to be (Assume all these < rep. less than or equal to):

S when 0<S<1
2-S when 0<S<1

and i assume you mean
2-S when 1<S<2

Hello Derek,

Thank you for providing your progress and thoughts on this problem. I can see that you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified and corrected.

First, let's define our variables. You have correctly stated that W=X+Y+Z and S=X+Y. However, it would be better to use different letters for the variables to avoid confusion. Let's use U for W and V for S. So, U=X+Y+Z and V=X+Y.

Next, let's define the ranges for each variable. You have stated that X, Y, and Z are uniformly distributed on (0,1). This means that their values can range from 0 to 1. Therefore, the ranges for U and V would be 0<U<3 and 0<V<2.

Now, let's find the pdf of V. We can do this by finding the cdf of V first and then differentiating it. Since X, Y, and Z are independent, we can use the product rule for cdfs. So, the cdf of V would be:

Fv(v) = P(V<v) = P(X+Y<v) = integral from 0 to v integral from 0 to v-x 1 dx dy = integral from 0 to v (v-x) dx = v^2/2

Differentiating Fv(v) with respect to v, we get the pdf of V as:

fV(v) = dFv(v)/dv = v

Now, let's find the pdf of U. We can do this by using the convolution formula, which states that the pdf of the sum of two independent random variables is the convolution of their individual pdfs. So, the pdf of U would be:

fU(u) = integral from 0 to u fV(v)fZ(u-v) dv

Since Z is also uniformly distributed on (0,1), its pdf would be 1. Substituting this in the above formula, we get:

fU(u) = integral from 0 to u v dv = u^2/2

Therefore, the pdf of U is a triangular distribution with a range of 0<U<3.

To find the pdf of U+V, we can use the same convolution formula. So, the pdf of U+V would be:

fU+V(u+v) = integral from

Related to Find the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution

1. What is the definition of a Uniform Distribution?

A Uniform Distribution is a probability distribution in which all possible outcomes are equally likely to occur. This means that the probability of any particular outcome is the same as the probability of any other outcome.

2. How do you find the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution?

To find the PDF (Probability Density Function) of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution, you need to first find the individual PDFs of X, Y, and Z. Then, you can use the formula for the sum of independent random variables, which states that the PDF of the sum of independent random variables is equal to the convolution of their individual PDFs.

3. What is the formula for the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution?

The formula for the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution is:

fW(w) = (1/(b-a)^3) * ∫∫∫ fX(x) * fY(y) * fZ(z) dz dy dx

where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the Uniform Distribution, and fX(x), fY(y), and fZ(z) are the individual PDFs of the random variables X, Y, and Z, respectively.

4. How do you interpret the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution?

The PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution gives the probability of the random variable W taking on a particular value. It shows the distribution of possible values for W and their corresponding probabilities. A higher value of the PDF at a certain point indicates a higher probability of W taking on that value.

5. Can the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution be used to find the mean and variance of W?

Yes, the PDF of W = X + Y + Z on a Uniform Distribution can be used to find the mean and variance of W. The mean can be calculated by taking the integral of W * fW(w) over all possible values of W, and the variance can be calculated by taking the integral of (W-mean)^2 * fW(w) over all possible values of W.