Find the percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss
Thanks all for the input. In summary, the cost price of 10 bananas is equal to the selling price of 12 bananas, resulting in a loss of 1/6 or 16.66666% per banana. This is calculated by finding the difference between the cost price and the selling price, dividing by the cost price, and multiplying by 100.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The cost price of ##10## bananas is equal to the selling price of ##12## bananas. Find the percentage loss.
Relevant Equations
Buying price and selling price
Ok my approach on this, i let the cost price = ##x##, then it follows that cost price per banana will be given by;

##\frac {x}{10}##=##\frac {x}{12}##
##\frac {x}{10}-\frac {x}{12}##= loss
##x####\left[ \frac {1}{10}-\frac {1}{12}\right]##=loss
##x####\left[ \frac {1}{6}\right]##=loss
therefore the percentage loss is ##\frac {1}{6}##×##100##= ##16.666666##%

note;
i do not have the solution...and my working steps may not be correct...

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: The cost price of ##10## bananas is equal to the selling price of ##12## bananas.
Find the percentage loss.
Relevant Equations:: Buying price and selling price

Ok my approach on this, i let the cost price = ##x##, then it follows that cost price per banana will be given by;

##\frac {x}{10}##=##\frac {x}{12}##
This equation makes no sense. The only solution is x = 0.
chwala said:
##\frac {x}{10}-\frac {x}{12}##= loss
##x####\left[ \frac {1}{10}-\frac {1}{12}\right]##=loss
##x####\left[ \frac {1}{6}\right]##=loss
therefore the percentage loss is ##\frac {1}{6}##×##100##= ##16.666666##%

note;
i do not have the solution...and my working steps may not be correct...

Likes MatinSAR
I am not good at economics at all and assumed that gain ratio is ##\frac{s-c}{s}=1-\frac{c}{s}## where c is cost or buying price and s is selling price. It would become loss ratio with minus sign when it is negative, e.g. -25% gain equals 25% loss.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
This equation makes no sense. The only solution is x = 0.
Mark hi, true the very first equation ##\left[ \frac {x}{10}=\frac {x}{12}\right]## does not make sense.

On follow up (my thinking is based on) let us let the cost price be ##x=40##=selling price,... then loss will be given by; the equation,
##\left[ \frac {40}{10}-\frac {40}{12}\right]##=loss per banana. From this i should get the loss percentage directly as indicated in post ##1##. The problem i have probably is on the required form of the equation.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I am not good at economics at all and assumed that gain ratio is ##\frac{s-c}{s}=1-\frac{c}{s}## where c is cost or buying price and s is selling price. It would become loss ratio with minus sign when it is negative, e.g. -25% gain equals 25% loss.
Profit and loss are normally measured against the initial capital, not the income. For example, if you start with $100 and end up with $75, then that is a 25% loss, not a 33.3% loss.

Certainly if you lost all your money that would be 100% loss and not an undefined loss!

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thanks. I am poor at literacy of these kinds. In more physical sense output/input is ##\frac{s}{c}##. Say it is 75%, loss is 25%. I hope I am on a right way.

"The cost price of 10 bananas is equal to the selling price of 12 bananas."

Doesn't that mean that you're selling at 10/12 (5/6) of your buying price, and buying at 12/10 (120%) of your selling price? ##-## if so, then you're paying 12 and getting 10, so out of every 12 you're putting in, you're losing 2, and 12 divided by 2 is 6, so you're losing 1/6 (16(recurring 6)%), right?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Your answer is correct, but your working is not - or at least, you're missing out some steps, which makes it unclear. You write:
chwala said:
x[1/10−1/12]=loss
x[1/6]=loss
Now 1/10 - 1/12 = 1/60, and the loss per banana is x/60. But since the cost per banana is x/10, the fractional loss is (x/60)/(x/10) = 1/6.

Likes chwala
mjc123 said:
Your answer is correct, but your working is not - or at least, you're missing out some steps, which makes it unclear. You write:

Now 1/10 - 1/12 = 1/60, and the loss per banana is x/60. But since the cost per banana is x/10, the fractional loss is (x/60)/(x/10) = 1/6.
Just check your subtraction again...I see a mistake in your working.
True, my steps are not entirely correct...

1/10 - 1/12 = 6/60 - 5/60 = 1/60. Confirm with a calculator.

Likes chwala
mjc123 said:
1/10 - 1/12 = 6/60 - 5/60 = 1/60. Confirm with a calculator.
True, i missed that...:frown:

mjc123 said:

...that makes sense...i.e in business math we know that;
Loss/Profit=##\left[\frac {cost price- sale price}{cost price}\right]##...then percentage loss or profit would follow by,
Percentage Loss/Profit=##\left[\frac {cost price- sale price}{cost price}\right]×100##.

1. What is the formula for calculating percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas?

The formula for calculating percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas is: (Original Price - Selling Price) / Original Price x 100.

2. How do I determine the original price and selling price of bananas?

The original price of bananas is the price at which they were purchased, while the selling price is the price at which they were sold. Both prices can be found on the receipt or invoice.

3. Why is it important to calculate percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas?

Calculating percentage loss helps to determine the efficiency and profitability of the business. It also helps in making informed decisions about pricing and purchasing strategies.

4. Can the percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas be negative?

Yes, the percentage loss can be negative if the selling price is higher than the original price. This indicates a profit rather than a loss.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the percentage loss in the purchase and sale of bananas?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the percentage loss, such as transportation costs, storage fees, and spoilage of bananas. These should be taken into consideration when calculating the overall loss.