Find the phase velocity of the wave (Plasma Physics)

In summary, an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of 1.4 GHz is propagating in the z-direction in a plasma with a magnetic field of 0.1T in the z-direction. The plasma has a density of 1.0*10^17 particles/m^3. The wave is separated into a R-wave and L-wave in the plasma. Using the given equations and values, the phase velocity for the R-wave is calculated to be 1.329 * 10^8 m/s, while the L-wave has no phase velocity as it is imaginary. To determine the polarization of the wave after z=1 m, further information or calculations are needed.
Firben

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave with the frequency f = 1.4 GHz is propagating in the z-direction from vacuum in a plasma with the magnetic field B_0 = 0.1T z^. The plasma density is 1.0*10^17 particles/m^3. The wave is the separated into a R- and L-wave in the plasma.

Homework Equations

w_c = |q|*B/m cyclotron angular resonance
w_p = (n_0*e^2/(ε*m_e))^(1/2) plasma angular frequency
(ck/w)^2 = 1-(w_p^2*w^2)/(1-(w_c/w)) R-Wave (whistler)
(ck/w)^2 = 1-(w_p^2*w^2)/(1+(w_c/w)) L-wave

(v_ph)_R = (w/ck)_R = ((w(w-w_c))/(w^2-w*w_c-w_p^2))^(1/2)
(v_ph)_L = (w/ck)_R = ((w(w+w_c))/(w^2+w*w_c+w_p^2))^(1/2)

B_0 = 0.1T z^
f = 1.4 GHz = 8.8*10^9 rad/s
w_p = 1.78*10^10 rad/s
w_c = 1.76 * 10^10 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Inserting these values into the formula for the phase velocity, i get the following

(v_ph)_R = c*0.443 = 1.329 * 10^8 m/s,
since the phase velocity is defined as w/k = v_ph. So i multiple it with c
correct value is v_ph = 6.6*10^6 m/s
(v_ph)_L = no wave, since it is imaginary

Then i want to know which polarization the wave has after z=1 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write it with in LaTeX?

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave with the frequency f = 1.4 GHz is propagating in the z-direction from vacuum in a plasma with the magnetic field ## B_0 = 0.1T \hat z ##. The plasma density is ## 1.0*10^{17} ## ## \frac {particles} {m^3} ##. The wave is then separated into a R- and L-wave in the plasma.

2. Homework Equations
## w_c = \frac {|q|*B} m ## cyclotron angular resonance

## w_p = \sqrt \frac {n_0*e^2 } {ε*m_e} ## plasma angular frequency

## (\frac {ck} {w})^2 = 1- \frac {w_p^2/w^2} {1-(w_c/w)} ## R-Wave (whistler)
## (\frac {ck} {w})^2 = 1- \frac {w_p^2/w^2 } {1+(w_c/w)} ## L-wave

Phase Velocity:

## (v_{ph})_R = (\frac {w} {ck})_R = \sqrt \frac {w(w-w_c) } {w^2-w*w_c-w_p^2} ##
## (v_{ph})_L = (\frac {w} {ck})_L = \sqrt \frac {w(w+w_c) } {w^2+w*w_c-w_p^2 } ##

## B_0 = 0.1T \hat z ##
## f = 1.4 GHz = 8.8*10^9 ## rad/s
##w_p = 1.78*10^{10} ##rad/s
##w_c = 1.76 * 10^{10} ## rad/s

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Inserting these values into the formula for the phase velocity, then i got the following

## (v_{ph})_R = c*0.443 = 1.329 * 10^8 ##m/s,
since the phase velocity is defined as ## \frac {w} {k} = v_{ph} ##. So i multiple it with c.
The correct value is ## v_{ph} = 6.6*10^6 ##m/s
##(v_{ph})_L ## = no wave, since it is imaginary

How can i know which polarization the wave has after z=1 m ?

Why is my solution wrong ?

Im still stuck, why do i get a different answer ?

What is the definition of phase velocity?

The phase velocity of a wave is the speed at which the phase of the wave propagates in space. It is the rate of change of phase in a given direction per unit time.

How is the phase velocity related to the frequency and wavelength of a wave?

The phase velocity can be calculated by dividing the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This relationship is described by the equation v = λf, where v is the phase velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

What factors can affect the phase velocity of a wave?

The phase velocity of a wave can be affected by the properties of the medium through which it is propagating, such as density, temperature, and magnetic field strength. It can also be influenced by the frequency and wavelength of the wave itself.

Is the phase velocity of a wave always the same as the group velocity?

No, the phase velocity and group velocity are two different concepts. While the phase velocity is the speed at which the phase of the wave propagates, the group velocity is the speed at which the overall shape or envelope of the wave propagates. In some cases, the two velocities may be equal, but in others, they can differ significantly.

How is the phase velocity of a wave in a plasma different from that in a vacuum?

In a plasma, the phase velocity of a wave can be significantly reduced due to interactions with the charged particles in the medium. This can result in a lower phase velocity compared to the speed of light in a vacuum. Additionally, the phase velocity in a plasma can be affected by the presence of magnetic fields.