Find the radius of 2 circles

In summary: The line goes through the middle point between P1 and P2. In summary, the middle point of (1,3)(2,4) is (1.5, 3.5)
Lifeforbetter
Homework Statement
Two circles go through 2 points (1,3) (2,4)
Both circle touches y-axis. Find r1*r2
The mutiple of the radius of both circle
Relevant Equations
d = ##\sqrt{(x2^2-x1^2) (y2^2 - y1^2) }##
Middle point of (1,3)(2,4) is (1.5, 3.5)
r1 to r2 passing through (1.5, 3.5)
I cannot grasp on what should i do to find r1 and r2 from the line

Without graph*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you take the known information and put it on a graph. It's a start.

magoo said:
Without graph it should be

If the center of a circle of radius R is on the line [itex]y = mx + c[/itex] and the circle touches the y-axis, then the equation of that circle must be [tex]
(x - R)^2 + (y - (mR + c))^2 = R^2.[/tex] If you know [itex](x,y)[/itex] (a point on the circle) and [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] then this is a quadratic you can solve to find [itex]R[/itex].

Here you know two points on the circle, [itex](x_1,y_1) = (1,3)[/itex] and [itex](x_2,y_2) = (2,4)[/itex]. There are at least two ways of using this information to find [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex].

Likes Lifeforbetter
Lifeforbetter said:
Without graph it should be
Who will know if you made a sketch for yourself? You can see the problem better from a graph. Solution without graph means that you can not read the results from the graph.
Both circles go through both points P1(1;3) and P2(2;4). And both circles touch the y axis. The centers of the circles are O1(x1;y1) and O2(x2;y2), there radii are r1, r2. See the "forbidden" graph (not in scale).

How is the x position of the center of a circle related to the radius if the circle touches the y axis?
(The y-axis is tangent to the circle, the radius drawn to the tangent point is perpendicular to the tangent line.)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/246567

Last edited:
Likes Lifeforbetter
ehild said:
How is the x position of the center of a circle related to the radius if the circle touches the y axis?
(The y-axis is tangent to the circle, the radius drawn to the tangent point is perpendicular to the tangent line.)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/246567
If a1, b1 were the center point of circle 1. Then a1 = r1, then b1 = mr1 + c
Just what @pasmith says right?
The graph does help too.

Last edited:
pasmith said:
If the center of a circle of radius R is on the line [itex]y = mx + c[/itex] and the circle touches the y-axis, then the equation of that circle must be [tex]
(x - R)^2 + (y - (mR + c))^2 = R^2.[/tex] If you know [itex](x,y)[/itex] (a point on the circle) and [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] then this is a quadratic you can solve to find [itex]R[/itex].

Here you know two points on the circle, [itex](x_1,y_1) = (1,3)[/itex] and [itex](x_2,y_2) = (2,4)[/itex]. There are at least two ways of using this information to find [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex].
y =mx + c
You mean the line go through middle point between P1 and P2? Which also go through r1 and r2 right?
That's m = -1 c = 5
Plug into
[tex](x - R)^2 + (y - (mR + c))^2 = R^2.[/tex]
Either using (1,3) or (2,4)
Give me r = 1 or r = 5 right?

magoo said:
Yes.

1. How do I find the radius of a circle?

To find the radius of a circle, you need to know either the diameter or the circumference of the circle. If you know the diameter, you can simply divide it by 2 to get the radius. If you know the circumference, you can use the formula: radius = circumference / (2 * pi).

2. Can I find the radius of a circle if I only know its area?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle if you know its area. The formula for finding the radius from the area is: radius = square root of (area / pi).

3. How do I find the radius of two circles if they intersect?

If the two circles intersect, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the radius of each circle. First, find the distance between the centers of the circles. Then, use the formula: radius = (distance between centers) / 2.

4. Is there a different way to find the radius of a circle without using formulas?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle by measuring it with a ruler. Place the ruler on the circle's edge and measure from the center to the edge. This measurement is the radius of the circle.

5. Can I find the radius of a circle if I only know the coordinates of its center?

Yes, you can find the radius of a circle if you know the coordinates of its center. You will also need to know the coordinates of any point on the circle's edge. Use the distance formula to find the distance between the center and the point on the edge. This distance is the radius of the circle.