Find the resolving power of a microscope in terms of its diameter

In summary, the resolving power of a microscope lens is given in terms of its diameter. If the lens is made of glass with index of refraction 1.54, the focal length is in the range of 0.8-1.3 ##D##. The distance between the sample to be observed and the objective lens is approximately equal to the focal length. The distance between two points on the sample which can be barely resolved by the lens is given in terms of the wavelength λ of the light. Using the lens-makers equation, if the lens is a converging lens then the equation would be ##1/f=(n-1)(1/R_1+1/R_2)##. If the lens is
mew1033
Find the resolving power of a microscope lens in terms of its diameter

Homework Statement

In this problem, we will find the ultimate resolving power of a microscope. First of all, in order to obtain a large magnification, we want an objective lens with a very short focal length. Second, in order to obtain maximum resolution, we also want that lens to have as large a diameter as possible. These two requirements are conflicting, since a lens with a short focal length must have a small diameter. It is not practical for a lens to have a diameter much larger than the radius of curvature of its surfaces. Otherwise, the lens starts looking like a sphere. So, let us assume that the objective lens has a diameter D equal to the radius of curvature of the two surfaces, like the lens in the figure.
(a) If the lens is made of glass with index of refraction 1.54, find the focal length f in terms of the diameter D of the lens.
(b) The distance between the sample to be observed and the objective lens is approximately equal to the focal length f . Find the distance between two points on the sample which can be barely resolved by the lens. Use the result from part (a) to eliminate f from the expression. You should find that D is
also eliminated from the expression and that the answer is given entirely in terms of the wavelength λ of the light. You may use the small angle approximation, sinθ ≈ tanθ ≈ θ.

The answer for part a is given as being in the range 0.8-1.3 ##D##
The answer for part b is given as being in the range 1.0-1.6##\lambda##

Homework Equations

I think that we will use the lens makers equation: ##1/f=(n-1)(1/R_1-1/R_2)## for part a. Then for part b, I think it's Rayleigh's criterion: ##sin\theta=\lambda/a##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stuck at part a... I'm not really sure what I should use for ##R_1## and ##R_2##.
I think if I got part a, part b would make more sense.

Thanks

Attachments

• Figure.png
    Figure.png
    443 bytes · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mew1033 said:

Homework Statement

I'm completely stuck at part a... I'm not really sure what I should use for ##R_1## and ##R_2##.
I think if I got part a, part b would make more sense.

Thanks

"So, let us assume that the objective lens has a diameter D equal to the radius of curvature of the two surfaces."

Do you mean set D equal to R1 and R2? If I do that, then (1/R1-1/R2) comes out to be 0. Then the focal length is basically infinity.

What is the sign convetion for ## R_1 ## and ## R_2 ## in the equation you are using?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, sorry...

I talked to another student and they said that when you use the lens-makers equation, if it's a converging lens then you do ##1/f=(n-1)(1/R_1+1/R_2)##

Looks like that was my problem.

mew1033 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that, sorry...

I talked to another student and they said that when you use the lens-makers equation, if it's a converging lens then you do ##1/f=(n-1)(1/R_1+1/R_2)##

Looks like that was my problem.

That's the formula I would use. If it's convex to the outside it's +. So both faces are convex to the outside and so it's 1/R1 + 1/R2. It obviously makes sense too. A double-convex lens is obviously not equivalent to a flat piece of glass!

Some of these optial sign conventions seem bizarre but to be candid if you don't follow them sooner or later you get into trouble. Especially with object/image/virtual/real blah blah problems.

1. What is the resolving power of a microscope?

The resolving power of a microscope refers to its ability to distinguish two separate points or details in an image. It is a measure of the microscope's ability to produce a clear and sharp image.

2. How is the resolving power of a microscope measured?

The resolving power of a microscope is measured in terms of its numerical aperture and wavelength of light. The numerical aperture is a measure of the cone of light that can enter the objective lens, while the wavelength of light refers to the color of light used in the microscope.

3. What units is the resolving power of a microscope measured in?

The resolving power of a microscope is typically measured in units of distance, such as nanometers (nm) or micrometers (μm). It represents the distance between two points that can be distinguished by the microscope.

4. How does the diameter of a microscope affect its resolving power?

The resolving power of a microscope is directly related to its diameter. A larger diameter allows for a larger numerical aperture, which in turn leads to a higher resolving power. This is because a larger diameter allows more light to enter the lens, resulting in a better image resolution.

5. Can the resolving power of a microscope be improved?

Yes, the resolving power of a microscope can be improved by using a lens with a larger diameter or by using a shorter wavelength of light. However, there are limitations to how much the resolving power can be improved, as it is also dependent on the quality and design of the microscope's lenses.