Find the set of points that satisfy:|z|^2 + |z - 2*i|^2 =< 10

In summary, Makadamij is struggling with a problem relating to the equation of a circle, but is unsure about how to proceed. He asks for help from the community, and is grateful for any advice and solutions that are provided.
Makadamij
Homework Statement
Find and draw the set of all points that satisfy the following condition: |z|^2 + |z - 2*i|^2 =< 10, where z is a complex number.
Relevant Equations
|z| = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
z = a + b*i
Hello everyone,

I've been struggling quite a bit with this problem, since I'm not sure how to approach it correctly. The inequality form reminds me of the equation of a circle (x^2 + y^2 = r^2), but I have no idea how to be sure about it. Would it help just to simplify the inequality in terms of solving the absolute value of z and z-2i ?

I would be very thankful for any advices and solutions.

Best wishes,

Makadamij

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you express ##z = x + iy## and expand the inequality?

Hello, thank you for participating in my problem. By expressing and expanding I get:

|x+yi|^2 + |x+(y-2)i|=< 10
x^2 + y^2 + x^2 + (y-2)^2 =< 10
2x^2 + 2y^2 - 4y + 4 =<10
2x^2 + 2y^2 - 4y =< 6 /:2
x^2 + y^2 - 2y =< 3

This can be transformed to the equation of a circle

x^2 + (y-1)^2 - 2 =< 3
x^2 + (y-1)^2 =< 5

So I get the formula of a cirlce with radius sqrt(5), which centre point is at S(0,1).
Are my calculations therefore correct or am I missing something?

Makadamij said:
Hello, thank you for participating in my problem. By expressing and expanding I get:

|x+yi|^2 + |x+(y-2)i|=< 10
x^2 + y^2 + x^2 + (y-2)^2 =< 10
2x^2 + 2y^2 - 4y + 4 =<10
2x^2 + 2y^2 - 4y =< 6 /:2
x^2 + y^2 - 2y =< 3

This can be transformed to the equation of a circle

x^2 + (y-1)^2 - 2 =< 3
x^2 + (y-1)^2 =< 5

So I get the formula of a cirlce with radius sqrt(5), which centre point is at S(0,1).
Are my calculations therefore correct or am I missing something?
You made a small mistake near the end.

You could check this yourself by setting ##w = z - i##. Now that you think it's a circle centred at ##0 + i##. You should get ##|w| \le R##.

I've spotted the mistake, thank you. The radius is supposed to be 2, not sqrt(5). And also a kind thank you for all the advices. Problem is now solved :)

Likes scottdave and PeroK

1. What is the equation for finding the set of points that satisfy the given condition?

The equation is |z|^2 + |z - 2*i|^2 =< 10.

2. How do you graph this equation?

To graph this equation, you can plot the points on a Cartesian plane, with the real part of z on the x-axis and the imaginary part of z on the y-axis. Then, you can plot the points that satisfy the equation and connect them to create a shape.

3. What does the shape of the graph represent?

The shape of the graph represents all the points that satisfy the given equation. In this case, it will be a circle with a radius of sqrt(10) centered at the point (0, 2).

4. How can this equation be used in real life applications?

This equation can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to model physical systems, analyze data, and solve optimization problems.

5. How can I solve this equation for specific values of z?

To solve this equation for specific values of z, you can plug in the values of the real and imaginary parts of z into the equation and check if they satisfy the condition. Alternatively, you can use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation and solve for z.