Find the set of possible values of ##a## - Modulus Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a question involving a value for a and the corresponding equations that need to be satisfied. The correct solution is found to be -1.33 ≤ a < 0 or 0 < a < 2, which does not include a = -4/3. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a = 0 being a valid solution, but it is later clarified that this is not the case. The full solution can be found in a linked post.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Modulus equations
My interest is on question 9. b(i)

Find the question and solution here;
1650804314868.png

1650804343301.png
I understand that ##a## should be less than ##2## because when ##a=2##, the two equations shall have same gradients which implies that the two lines are parrallel to each other. Now to my question, this solution does not look entirely correct because we have other values of ##a## less than ##2## that will not satisfy the equations...for. e.g if ##a=-2##...
The correct solution would be ##-1.33≤a< 0## or ##0<a<2##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
-4/3 < a < 2 which does not include a= -4/3

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
-4/3 < a < 2 which does not include a= -4/3
@anuttarasammyak...but ##a≠0## the inequality
##-\frac {4}{3}####<a<2## is not continous...your inequality may not be correct.

Probably to determine the other value of ##a=-\frac {4}{3}## one would use

##y=ax+2##
##0=1.5a+2##
##0=3a+4##
##-3a=4##
##a##=##-\frac {4}{3}##

Last edited:
chwala said:
@anuttarasammyak...but ##a≠0## the inequality
##-\frac {4}{3}####<a<2## is not continous...your inequality may not be correct.

##y=ax+2##
##0=1.5a+2##
##0=3a+4##
##-3a=4##
##a##=##-\frac {4}{3}##
Why do you say ##a\ne 0 ~ ?##

To find a lower bound to ##a##, consider what the ##x##-intercept is for ##y=|2x-3|##.

Likes chwala
SammyS said:
Why do you say ##a\ne 0 ~ ?##

To find a lower bound to ##a##, consider what the ##x##-intercept is for ##y=|2x-3|##.
Arrrghh :))...true. Cheers man! ##a=0## is correct too.

chwala said:

##y=ax+2##
##0=1.5a+2##
##0=3a+4##
##-3a=4##
##a##=##-\frac {4}{3}##
So, are you saying that ##a=-\dfrac {4}{3}## is a valid solution for ##a ~ ?##

If so, what are the two distinct points of intersection ?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
So, are you saying that ##a=-\dfrac {4}{3}## is a valid solution for ##a ~ ?##

If so, what are the two distinct points of intersection ?
No, what I indicated is rather the approach that a student may use in determining the required values of ##a##...I hope that's clear.
The correct solution is as indicated in post ##2##.

My apologies on this...,

The markscheme was correct! i ought to have checked all the pages!... Kindly find the full solution here.
Thanks @anuttarasammyak and @SammyS on your contribution.

1650887679175.png

1650887654820.png

Last edited:

1. What is a modulus graph?

A modulus graph is a type of graph that shows the relationship between the modulus of a number and its value. The modulus of a number is the absolute value of that number, meaning it is always positive. The graph plots the modulus of a number on the y-axis and the value of the number on the x-axis.

2. How do you find the set of possible values of a from a modulus graph?

The set of possible values of a can be found by looking at the x-intercepts of the modulus graph. These points represent the values of a where the modulus function equals 0. The set of possible values of a will be all real numbers except for the values of a that make the modulus function undefined.

3. What does the shape of a modulus graph tell us about the set of possible values of a?

The shape of a modulus graph can tell us whether the set of possible values of a is finite or infinite. If the graph has a straight line with a slope of 1, the set of possible values of a is infinite. If the graph has a curved shape, the set of possible values of a is finite.

4. Can a modulus graph have more than one set of possible values for a?

Yes, a modulus graph can have multiple sets of possible values for a. This can occur when the graph has multiple x-intercepts or when the graph has a curved shape with multiple turning points. In these cases, each set of possible values of a will correspond to a different section of the graph.

5. How can a modulus graph be used in real-world applications?

Modulus graphs can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. They can help in analyzing data and making predictions about the behavior of certain systems. For example, in engineering, modulus graphs can be used to study the stress and strain of materials, while in economics, they can be used to analyze supply and demand curves.