Find the unknown values in the problem involving trigonometry graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of A in a problem and how it differs from the textbook solution of 2. The values of B and C are correct. The conversation also includes a discussion on tangent graphs and finding the period and principal axis. Ultimately, it is agreed that the correct value of A is 1.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
trigonometry
My interest is on finding the value of ##A## only. From my calculations, ##A=1##and not ##2## as indicated on textbook solution.
In my working we have; i.e ##4=A +3.##
The values of ##B##and ##C## are correct though. Kindly advise.

Find the question and textbook solution.
1650518637311.png

1650518659691.png

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
In my working
Which you don't post, so we depend on telepathy now.

But I suppose my answer would also be ##A=1## :smile:

##\ ##

• Haha
Likes chwala
Ok I will indeed post my working later. I'll get back on this..finishing on some chores @BvU

For tangent graphs, the period is given by;
## Bx= π##,
the period of the given graph is ##x##=##\dfrac {3π}{2}-\dfrac {π}{2}= π##
therefore,
## Bπ= π##, →##B=1##,
The principal axis crosses the y-axis at the point ##(0,3)##, therefore ##C=3##.
Using the given point ##P\left [\frac{π}{4},4\right]##, we shall have,
##y=A tan Bx + C##
##4=A tan \dfrac {π}{4}+3##
##4=A+3##
##A=1##

Last edited:
Likes BvU
I agree as well that A = 1. The graph of ##y = 2\tan(x) + 3## would pass through the point ##(\pi/4, 5)## rather than the point P shown on the graph. Also, I find it odd that the problem parameters are A, B, and C, but the posted answer uses a, b, and c. That's sloppy.

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and chwala

1. What is the purpose of finding unknown values in problems involving trigonometry graphs?

The purpose of finding unknown values in problems involving trigonometry graphs is to solve real-world applications and problems that involve angles, distances, and heights. Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between the sides and angles of triangles, and it is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How do you find the unknown values in a trigonometry graph?

To find the unknown values in a trigonometry graph, you can use the trigonometric ratios sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios can be applied to right triangles to find the missing side lengths or angles. You can also use the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, to find the measure of an angle or the length of a side.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used to find unknown values in trigonometry graphs?

The common trigonometric identities used to find unknown values in trigonometry graphs include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any special cases when finding unknown values in trigonometry graphs?

Yes, there are special cases when finding unknown values in trigonometry graphs. These include the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 special right triangles, where the ratios of the sides have specific values. In addition, there are also special angles, such as 0 degrees, 90 degrees, and 180 degrees, where the trigonometric ratios have specific values.

5. What are some tips for finding unknown values in problems involving trigonometry graphs?

Some tips for finding unknown values in problems involving trigonometry graphs include drawing accurate diagrams, labeling the sides and angles correctly, using the correct trigonometric ratio, and checking your answers using the unit circle or calculator. It is also helpful to review the basic trigonometric ratios and identities before attempting to solve a problem.