Find the sets of real solutions

In summary: But check that again. You have a sign error somewhere.Bingo. But check that again. You have a sign error somewhere.Yes, i see it now, i'll solve it again. Looks like i got the sign wrong in the last step.##x= \frac{log_e(3) - log_e(4)}{log_e(4) - log_e(3)}##, how do i proceed from here?Yes, i see it now, i'll solve it again. Looks like i got the sign wrong in the last step.##x= \frac{log_e(3) - log_e(4)}{log_e(4) - log_e(3)}##, how
diredragon
[b[1. Homework Statement [/b]

##|4^{3x}-2^{4x+2}*3^{x+1}+20*12^x*3^x| \ge 8*6^x(8^{x-1}+6^x)##

The sets containing the real solutions for some numbers ##a, b, c, d,## such that ##-\infty < a < b < c < d < +\infty## is of the form ##(-\infty, a] \cup [b, c] \cup [d, +\infty)##. Prove it by obtaining the solution set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the problem is asking me to solve the inequality by finding some numbers ##a, b, c, d## and find the form of the real solution set that should be in the form given above.

Here is my current work:

1) ##4^{3x}-2^{4x+2}*3^{x+1}+20*12^x*3^x \geq 8*6^x(8^{x-1}+6^x) ##

2) ##4^{3x}-2^{4x+2}*3^{x+1}+20*12^x*3^x \leq -8*6^x(8^{x-1}+6^x) ##

1)

##2^{6x}-2^{4x+2}*3^{x+1}+20*2^{2x}*3^{2x} \geq 8*3^x*2^x(2^{3x-3}+2^x*3^x) ##

##2^{6x}-12*2^{4x}*3^{x}+20*2^{2x}*3^{2x} \geq 8*3^{2x}*2^{2x}+8*3^{x}*2^{4x-3} ##

##2^{6x}-12*2^{4x}*3^{x}+12*2^{2x}*3^{2x} \geq 3^{x}*2^{4x} ##

##2^{6x}-13*2^{4x}*3^{x}+12*2^{2x}*3^{2x} \geq 0 ##

##2^{4x}-13*2^{2x}*3^{x}+12*3^{2x} \geq 0 ##

2)

##2^{4x}-11*2^{2x}*3^{x}+28*3^{2x} \leq 0 ##

not sure now how to continue, am i on the right track? (latex: messed up something again, can't find what.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:
##2^{4x}-13*2^{2x}*3^{x}+12*3^{2x} \geq 0 ##
See if you can factorise that.

haruspex said:
See if you can factorise that.
I can factor out ##3^x## out of the last two. ##2^{4x} - 3^x(13*2^{2x} + 3^x) \geq 0##

diredragon said:
I can factor out ##3^x## out of the last two. ##2^{4x} - 3^x(13*2^{2x} + 3^x) \geq 0##
Right, and do you notice a common factor of the first two? Does that suggest a way of factorising the whole?
It might help if you substitute a for 2x and b for 3x.

haruspex said:
Right, and do you notice a common factor of the first two? Does that suggest a way of factorising the whole?
It might help if you substitute a for 2x and b for 3x.
##a^4 - b(13*a^2 + b) \geq 0##
Sorry, but i don't see a way to fact out the whole thing... what do ##a^4## and ##b## have in common. This kind a looks like a quadratic if i set ##g= a^2## and if ##b=constant##. Other than that i don't know

diredragon said:
##a^4 - b(13*a^2 + b) \geq 0##
Sorry, but i don't see a way to fact out the whole thing... what do ##a^4## and ##b## have in common. This kind a looks like a quadratic if i set ##g= a^2## and if ##b=constant##. Other than that i don't know
Sorry, I made two mistakes. I didn't notice some errors in your post #3, and I meant to say write a for 4x. Going back to the original form but using the a, b substitution, you have a2-13ab+12b2.
If you can't spot the factors just apply the quadratic formula.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I made two mistakes. I didn't notice some errors in your post #3, and I meant to say write a for 4x. Going back to the original form but using the a, b substitution, you have a2-13ab+12b2.
If you can't spot the factors just apply the quadratic formula.
How can i apply the formula when there are two square terms in here?
I tried this:
##x_1=\frac{13ab + \sqrt{169a^2b^2 - 48b^2}}{2}## is this right?

diredragon said:
How can i apply the formula when there are two square terms in here?
I tried this:
##x_1=\frac{13ab + \sqrt{169a^2b^2 - 48b^2}}{2}## is this right?
No. You have been inconsistent regarding the role of a. In some terms you have treated it as the x in a standard quadratic, in other terms as a coefficient. Try it again.

Likes diredragon
haruspex said:
No. You have been inconsistent regarding the role of a. In some terms you have treated it as the x in a standard quadratic, in other terms as a coefficient. Try it again.
oops, i see. so ##x_1=\frac{13b + \sqrt{169b^2 - 48b^2}}{2}##, ##x_1=\frac{13b - \sqrt{169b^2 - 48b^2}}{2}##, ##x_1=12b##, ##x_2=b##
##(a - 12b)(a-b) \geq 0##
##(4^x - 12*3^x)(4^x-3^x) \geq 0##
i now want to solve for ##=0##
##(4^x - 12*3^x)(4^x-3^x) = 0##
##(4^x - 12*3^x)=0## or ##(4^x-3^x) = 0## from this i only see ##x_1=0## as the solution to ##(4^x-3^x) = 0## and that's because its obvious, the first one however i can't find x.

diredragon said:
##(4^x - 12*3^x)=0## or ##(4^x-3^x) = 0## from this i only see ##x_1=0## as the solution to ##(4^x-3^x) = 0## and that's because its obvious, the first one however i can't find x.
You can make the 12 go away by merging it into the power terms. Then take logs.

diredragon said:
(latex: messed up something again, can't find what.)
@diredragon, please don't try to mix BBCode bold tags with the LaTeX markup. They don't play well together.

I fixed your first post here, and this was the second time that I fixed the mess that you made. Please try to be more careful in the future.

haruspex said:
You can make the 12 go away by merging it into the power terms. Then take logs.
Do you mean i can make it to ##4^x - 4*3^{x+1} = 0##, ##4(4^{x-1} - 3{x+1}) = 0##, how now to take logs? Log the both sides? I am not sure what to do.

diredragon said:
Do you mean i can make it to ##4^x - 4*3^{x+1} = 0##, ##4(4^{x-1} - 3{x+1}) = 0##, how now to take logs? Log the both sides? I am not sure what to do.
I assume you meant ##4(4^{x-1} - 3^{x+1}) = 0##.
Since it is zero, you can drop the factor 4. Then move one term to the other side and take logs.

haruspex said:
I assume you meant ##4(4^{x-1} - 3^{x+1}) = 0##.
Since it is zero, you can drop the factor 4. Then move one term to the other side and take logs.
##(x-1)log_e(4) =(x+1)log_e(3)##
##xlog_e(4) - xlog_e(3)=log_e(3) + log_e(4)##
##x= \frac{log_e(3) + log_e(4)}{log_e(4) - log_e(3)}##

diredragon said:
##(x-1)log_e(4) =(x+1)log_e(3)##
##xlog_e(4) - xlog_e(3)=log_e(3) + log_e(4)##
##x= \frac{log_e(3) + log_e(4)}{log_e(4) - log_e(3)}##
Bingo.

Related to Find the sets of real solutions

1. What does it mean to "find the sets of real solutions"?

When we talk about finding the sets of real solutions, we are referring to the process of finding all possible values for a variable that satisfy a given equation or system of equations. These values are known as solutions and must be real numbers, meaning they can be represented on the number line.

2. Why is it important to find the sets of real solutions?

Finding the sets of real solutions is important because it allows us to determine the solutions to a problem or equation, which can then be used to make predictions or solve real-world problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of a system or function and can lead to further mathematical discoveries.

3. What are some strategies for finding the sets of real solutions?

There are several strategies for finding the sets of real solutions, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Substitution involves solving for one variable and then plugging that value into the other equations to find the remaining variables. Elimination involves canceling out one variable by adding or subtracting equations. Graphing involves plotting the equations on a coordinate plane and finding the points of intersection.

4. Can an equation have more than one set of real solutions?

Yes, an equation can have multiple sets of real solutions. This can happen when the equation is quadratic or higher order, as it can have two or more solutions. It can also occur in systems of equations with multiple variables, where each variable has its own set of solutions.

5. Are there any cases where an equation has no real solutions?

Yes, there are cases where an equation has no real solutions. This can happen when the equation has imaginary solutions, meaning that the solutions involve the square root of a negative number. It can also occur when there is a contradiction in the equations, meaning that the equations cannot be true at the same time.