Find the source of quote in Wikipedia that is not attributed?

In summary, the conversation suggests searching for the exact quotation in Google using quotation marks or searching for a part of the quotation to find a suitable reference for attributing a quote from Wikipedia in a paper.
ppppparker
How do I find the primary source of some quote in Wikipedia that is not attributed? I mean how am i supposed to attribute something like that in a paper? paper due basically yesterday, that's why i need help quick.thanks for any help

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
ppppparker said:
How do I find the primary source of some quote in Wikipedia that is not attributed? I mean how am i supposed to attribute something like that in a paper? paper due basically yesterday, that's why i need help quick.thanks for any help
What's the quote and link us to the wiki article. Someone might be able to figure something out.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Try searching for the exact quotation in Google, by enclosing it in quotation marks " " . It might appear on some other website that provides a suitable reference.

If it's a very long quotation, searching for only part of it will probably work also.

1. How can I find the source of a quote in Wikipedia that is not attributed?

To find the source of a quote in Wikipedia that is not attributed, you can use the "Cite this page" feature. This can be found on the left side of the page under the "Tools" section. Click on "Cite this page" and it will provide you with the citation information, including the source of the quote.

2. What if the "Cite this page" feature is not available for the page I am viewing?

If the "Cite this page" feature is not available for the page you are viewing, you can try using the "View history" feature. This can be found under the "View history" tab at the top of the page. From there, you can view previous versions of the page and see if any of them include the citation for the quote.

3. Is there a way to search for the source of a quote in Wikipedia?

Yes, there is a way to search for the source of a quote in Wikipedia. You can use the search function at the top right of the page and enter the quote in quotation marks, followed by the word "source". This will bring up any pages that mention the quote and its source.

4. Can I contact the editors of a Wikipedia page to ask about the source of a quote?

Yes, you can contact the editors of a Wikipedia page to ask about the source of a quote. At the top of the page, under the "View history" tab, there is a "Talk" tab. This will bring you to the talk page where you can leave a message for the editors to see. Be sure to be polite and provide as much information as possible about the quote you are looking for.

5. What should I do if I am unable to find the source of a quote in Wikipedia?

If you are unable to find the source of a quote in Wikipedia, you can try searching for the quote in other reliable sources, such as books or articles. If you are still unable to find the source, you may want to consider not using the quote or finding an alternative quote with a known source. It is important to only include information in Wikipedia that can be verified by reliable sources.