Find the Speed of a Falling Meter Stick

In summary: L as the rod rotated about one end, the other end was at distance L from the centre of rotation. L is the radius of the circle the endpoint moves. You know that a point of a roting body at distance R from the centre has the linear velocity Rω.
nchin
A meter stick is held vertically with one end on the floor and is then allowed
to fall. Find the speed of the other end just before it hits the floor, assuming that the end
on the floor does not slip. (Hint: Consider the stick to be a thin rod and use the
conservation of energy principle)

Solution on page 6 # HRW 10.63
http://www.nvcc.edu/home/tstantcheva/231files/hrwch10hw.pdf

Can someone explain the solution to me please??

I do not understand why PE = 1/2 mgl? where did 1/2 come from?
How did the first step become ω^(2) equal 3g/L?
does v = ωL?
how did ωL = sqrt (3gL)?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

nchin said:
A meter stick is held vertically with one end on the floor and is then allowed
to fall. Find the speed of the other end just before it hits the floor, assuming that the end
on the floor does not slip. (Hint: Consider the stick to be a thin rod and use the
conservation of energy principle)

Solution on page 6 # HRW 10.63
http://www.nvcc.edu/home/tstantcheva/231files/hrwch10hw.pdf

Can someone explain the solution to me please??

I do not understand why PE = 1/2 mgl? where did 1/2 come from?
How did the first step become ω^(2) equal 3g/L?
does v = ωL?
how did ωL = sqrt (3gL)?

thanks!

The potential energy of the rod is the sum of the potential energies of its pieces. A little piece at the top has potential energy mgL while the bottom piece has zero PE. The whole potential energy is the same as if all the mass concentrated into the centre of mass, at half the height of the rod.

ehild.

Last edited by a moderator:

ehild said:
The potential energy of the rod is the sum of the potential energies of its pieces. A little piece at the top has potential energy mgL while the bottom piece has zero PE. The whole potential energy is the same as if all the mass concentrated into the centre of mass, at half the height of the rod.

ehild.

so how did 1/2mgL = 1/2(mL^(2)/3)ω^(2) become ω^(2) = 3g/L?

[tex]\frac {1}{2}mgL=\frac {1}{2}\frac{mL^2}{3}\omega ^2[/tex]

Isolate ω2.

ehild

ehild said:
[tex]\frac {1}{2}mgL=\frac {1}{2}\frac{mL^2}{3}\omega ^2[/tex]

Isolate ω2.

ehild

im sorry, i don't really understand. how would you isolate ω^2?

Divide both sides of the equation by mL^2, and multiply by 6. What do you get?

ehild

ehild said:
Divide both sides of the equation by mL^2, and multiply by 6. What do you get?

ehild

oooohhhh i got it! ω = sqrt (3g/L)

so can you explain this part to me

v = ωL = sqrt (3gL)

so i know they multiplied L to both side

but why do we need to find the linear velocity instead of the angular velocity?

nchin said:
oooohhhh i got it! ω = sqrt (3g/L)

so can you explain this part to me

v = ωL = sqrt (3gL)

so i know they multiplied L to both side

but why do we need to find the linear velocity instead of the angular velocity?

You need it because that was the question in the problem. :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
You need it because that was the question in the problem. :smile:

ehild

haha ok thanks for your help!

ω was multiplied by L as the rod rotated about one end, the other end was at distance L from the centre of rotation. L is the radius of the circle the endpoint moves. You know that a point of a roting body at distance R from the centre has the linear velocity Rω.

ehild

1. How do you find the speed of a falling meter stick?

In order to find the speed of a falling meter stick, you will need to use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height from which the meter stick was dropped. This equation is derived from the laws of motion and can be used to calculate the velocity at which the meter stick is falling.

2. What is the significance of finding the speed of a falling meter stick?

Finding the speed of a falling meter stick can help us understand the principles of motion and gravity. It can also be useful in engineering and designing structures to withstand certain speeds of falling objects.

3. Can the speed of a falling meter stick vary?

Yes, the speed of a falling meter stick can vary depending on the height from which it was dropped and the air resistance it experiences during its fall. However, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant at 9.8 m/s^2.

4. How accurate is the calculated speed of a falling meter stick?

The calculated speed of a falling meter stick is dependent on the accuracy of the measurements taken for the height and the time it takes for the meter stick to fall. The more precise the measurements, the more accurate the calculated speed will be. However, factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the actual speed.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the speed of a falling meter stick?

Calculating the speed of a falling meter stick can be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. It can also be used to understand the motion of objects in free fall, such as skydivers or objects dropped from a height. Additionally, it can be used to determine the impact force of falling objects, which is important in fields such as safety and construction.