Find the stretch of a steel wire in a static equilibrium problem.

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the stretch of a wire by calculating the weight of a heavy object placed on a plank. However, using the second condition for static equilibrium leads to two unknowns, even when choosing a point of rotation. Without knowing the weight of the object, it is not possible to solve this problem.
greenrichy
Homework Statement
A large wooden plank with p=471 kg/m^3 and dimensions of 20 cm by 35 cm by 10 m is attached to a wall so that the left side of the plank is connected to the wall with a single pin. Using a 2.83 m long steel wire with a diameter of 3 mm, the plank is also attached to the ceiling with the wire, so the wire is oriented vertically from the ceiling to the plank while the plank is oriented horizontally. A heavy object is also sitting, stationary atop the plank, precisely 3.1 m from the right end of the level plank.

- Given that the steel wire is attached to the plank 2 m away from the pin and that the plank has a uniform density, determine the final length of the wire (Young's modulus for the steel wire = 200 GN/m^2).
Relevant Equations
∑ τ = 0
If I can determine the weight of that heavy object placed on the plank, I will be able to determine the stretch of that wire. But, when using the second condition for static equilibrium (torques of the system equal to 0), I always end up with two unknowns, no matter what point of rotation I choose. For example, if I choose the pin to be the axis of rotation, I will eliminate the force that the pin exerts on the plank but will end up with two unknown forces: the tension in the wire and the weight of the object at the end of the plank.

Is it possible to solve this with the given information?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. You need to know the heavy objects mass or weight.

Likes greenrichy

1. How do you determine the stretch of a steel wire in a static equilibrium problem?

To determine the stretch of a steel wire in a static equilibrium problem, you need to use Hooke's Law. This law states that the force applied to a spring or elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the material.

2. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that states the force applied to a spring or elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the material. This law is often used in static equilibrium problems to determine the stretch or compression of a material.

3. What factors affect the stretch of a steel wire in a static equilibrium problem?

The stretch of a steel wire in a static equilibrium problem is affected by several factors, including the applied force, the material properties of the wire (such as its Young's modulus), and the length and cross-sectional area of the wire.

4. How does the length of the steel wire affect its stretch in a static equilibrium problem?

The length of the steel wire directly affects its stretch in a static equilibrium problem. According to Hooke's Law, the amount of stretch is directly proportional to the length of the wire. This means that a longer wire will experience a greater amount of stretch than a shorter wire when the same force is applied.

5. Can the stretch of a steel wire ever reach a point of equilibrium?

Yes, in a static equilibrium problem, the stretch of a steel wire will eventually reach a point of equilibrium where the force applied to the wire is balanced by the restoring force of the wire. This means that the wire will no longer experience any additional stretch or compression, and the system will remain in a state of static equilibrium.