Find the sum of all these electric currents

In summary: With the information you provided, I think you'd have to make the assumption that wiring is zero resistance.
quee
Homework Statement
The electrical circuit consists of amperemeters. Constant voltage was applied to ´E and F. In the result, one of the amperemeters showed 7 mA and another showed 18 mA. What does the sum of results of all amperemeters equal to?
Relevant Equations
$$I_4 = maximim$$
$$I_1 = I_2$$
$$I_3 = I_5$$
$$I_7 = I_ {10} = I_8 = I_6$$
2019-11-07 01.00.35.jpg

First, I got rid of amperemeters with 0 values. These are 9. 11 and 12.
Amperemeter 4 will show the maximum value of electric current as it is placed directly between E and F. But how to know its value? Will it be 18 mA? I doubt because 18 mA is not said to be the maximum value.
All other amperemeters will show smaller results. Number 1 and 2 will show equal results. Number 5 and 3. And number 7, 10, 8 and 6 as current will not go to the 12-9-11 line and the resistance of wires is neglected. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
quee said:
First, I got rid of amperemeters with 0 values. These are 9. 11 and 12.
What reasoning are you using to conclude that no current flows through 9, 11 and 12?

If 9 carries no current then it follows that the node to its right is at the same potential as F.
If 11 carries no current then it follows that the node down and to its left is also at the same potential as F.
It then would follow that 8 carries no current because its ends are at equal potential.
It would also follow that 6 carries no current because any current would have no place to go. So it then follows that the node to the left of 6 is also at the same potential as F.
Then we conclude that 3 carries no current and that 2 carries no current.
It follows then that E is at the same potential as F. Which is patently false.

So whatever reasoning was used to conclude that no current flows through 9, 11 and 12 is questionable.

My first inclination looking at this network is to simplify by folding bottom onto top. By symmetry it is immediately obvious that all of the nodes on the bottom are at equal potential with all corresponding nodes on the top.

Edit: Looking ahead without actually solving the problem, it looks like the network can be solved from that point by further collapsing it one piece at a time.

Last edited:
Drat, @jbriggs444 was faster. Here's my two cents (one being I fully agree with him) the other being: we are braiinwashed to see circuits as one line (E) at the top and one line (F) at the bottom. Very enlightening in this case. (even though you are rapidly foirced to draw two lines at the top (2-6-11 // 1-7-12) )

So if they are identical ammeters, you can represent each one by identical resistors. With the information you provided, I think you'd have to make the assumption that wiring is zero resistance.

Make sure you understand why some of them may have zero current. Think about a bridge circuit.

jbriggs444 said:
So whatever reasoning was used to conclude that no current flows through 9, 11 and 12 is questionable.
I thought incorrectly that 9, 11 and 12 were out of the field made by E and F so the current wouldn't go that line.

jbriggs444 said:
is to simplify by folding bottom onto top.
I thought about that. Thank you. But it still remains unclear to me how to get what will be the maximum value.

jbriggs444 said:
it looks like the network can be solved from that point by further collapsing it one piece at a time
Using symmetry?

scottdave said:
you can represent each one by identical resistors
And then use Kirchhoff's circuit laws?

Sketch I had in mind in #3

1573231793885.png
working from right to left should be feasible.

Likes quee and phinds
BvU said:
Sketch I had in mind in #3

View attachment 252562working from right to left should be feasible.
Thank you! But why are 2, 3, 6, 8, 11 included? Isn't it possible to just fold the symmetrical scheme and rewrite it with resistors 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12?

Likes BvU
quee said:
Thank you! But why are 2, 3, 6, 8, 11 included? Isn't it possible to just fold the symmetrical scheme and rewrite it with resistors 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12?
Good plan.

Is the next step -- to me it dawns only after I've made the sketch (did I mention brainwashing 😉 ?)

1. What is the purpose of finding the sum of all these electric currents?

The purpose of finding the sum of all these electric currents is to determine the total amount of current flowing through a circuit. This can help in understanding the overall behavior and efficiency of the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the sum of electric currents?

The sum of electric currents can be calculated by adding all the individual currents together. This can be done by using Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R. By calculating the current for each individual component in the circuit and then adding them together, you can find the total current.

3. What units are used to measure electric currents?

Electric currents are measured in units called amperes (A), named after the French scientist André-Marie Ampère. One ampere is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

4. Can the sum of electric currents be negative?

Yes, the sum of electric currents can be negative. This can occur when the direction of current flow is opposite to the assumed direction. It is important to pay attention to the signs and directions of currents when calculating the sum.

5. What factors can affect the sum of electric currents in a circuit?

The sum of electric currents in a circuit can be affected by the voltage, resistance, and the number and arrangement of components. Changes in any of these factors can alter the total current flowing through the circuit.