Find the time when the spring force reaches max magnitude

In summary: Is sin(x) ever going to be greater than 1? For what x does it have a max value? Think of the unit circle.No, sin(x) is never going to be greater than 1. However, it does have a max value when x is on the unit circle.
SirChris93

Homework Statement

Show how you use calculus to find the time when the magnitude of the Spring Force reaches its maximum. Then, when you found that time show how you calculate the Spring force at that time as well.

m = 1.125kg
vi = .8 m/s
k = 2250 N/m
x = 0m

Homework Equations

Fs (t) = [-mvi sqrt(k/m)] sin (sqrt(k/m)t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So the homework provided the Time and we had to find the Spring Force and put them in a table, which I did. After viewing the graph I figured, that the magnitude reaches its maximum between .03 and .04, but I can't figure out how to find that.

I didn't know how to make a table on here, but I tried the best I could
Code:
time (t) | Spring Force (F)
 0            0
.01     |       -17.41
.02     |      -31.39
.03     |     -39.2
.04     |    -39.3
.05     |    -31.67
.06     |   -17.81
.07     |   -.45

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement tells you to "use calculus."

How do you usually go about finding the max/min of a function in calculus?

RedDelicious said:
The problem statement tells you to "use calculus."

How do you usually go about finding the max/min of a function in calculus?

My teacher said not to find the derivative, so that’s out of the question. The only other way I can think of is t=Fs(t)/[(-mvsqrt(k/m)]sin sqrt(k/m)), but it won’t work. Unless I would the integral of the equation...

Last edited:
SirChris93 said:
My teacher said not to find the derivative, so that’s out of the question. The only other way I can think of is t=Fs(t)/[(-mvsqrt(k/m)]sin sqrt(k/m)), but it won’t work. Unless I would the integral of the equation...

That's fine. It's not necessary to take the derivative anyway.

The only time depenendent part of your function is the sine. And so your function will have its max value when the sine function has its max value.

Is sin(x) ever going to be greater than 1? For what x does it have a max value? Think of the unit circle.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the spring force and how is it related to time?

The spring force is the force exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed. It is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. Therefore, the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude is the time when the displacement of the spring is at its maximum.

2. How do you calculate the maximum magnitude of the spring force?

The maximum magnitude of the spring force can be calculated using Hooke's law, which states that the force is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. Therefore, the maximum magnitude of the spring force is directly proportional to the spring constant and the maximum displacement of the spring.

3. What factors affect the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude?

The time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude is affected by the spring constant, the maximum displacement of the spring, and the mass attached to the spring. A higher spring constant or larger maximum displacement will result in a shorter time to reach maximum magnitude, while a heavier mass will result in a longer time.

4. Can the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude be predicted?

Yes, the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude can be predicted by using mathematical equations such as Hooke's law and the equations of motion. By knowing the relevant parameters, one can calculate the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude.

5. Is the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude constant?

No, the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude is not constant. It depends on the factors mentioned above and can vary depending on the specific situation. However, if the parameters remain constant, the time when the spring force reaches maximum magnitude will also remain constant.