Find the total electrostatic energy stored in the configuration

In summary: It just depends on how much effort you're willing to expend.I don't think you'll be able to avoid messy integrals either way. It just depends on how much effort you're willing to expend.
ghostfolk

Homework Statement

A spherical conductor of radius ##a## carries a charge ##q## and also there is a jelly of constant charge density ##\rho## per unit volume extending from radius a out to radius ##b##. Find the electrostatic energy stored in the configuration.

Homework Equations

##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a}=\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}##
##U=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int E^2 d^3r##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]We first find the electric field.
##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a}=4\pi r^2##
##Q_{enc}=\int_a^r 4\pi r'^2 \rho dr'+q=\frac{4\pi}{3}(r^3-a^3)\rho+q##
So then,
##E=\begin{cases}
0, r<a& \\\
\rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0}+ \frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0} \hat{r}, a<r<b\\
\rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0} +\frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0} \hat{r}, b\le r
\end{cases}##
Then
##E^2=\begin{cases}
0, r<a& \\\
\rho^2 \frac{(r^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}, a<r<b\\
\rho^2 \frac{(b^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}, b\le r
\end{cases}##
Now,
##U=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_a^b (\rho^2 \frac{(r^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2})4 \pi r^2dr+\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_b^\infty (\rho^2 \frac{(b^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}) 4 \pi r^2dr##

So far, have I done everything correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, your expression for the electric field is non-sensical. It should be
$$\vec{E}=\begin{cases}
0 & r<a \\
\left[\rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0}+ \frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & a<r<b \\
\left[\rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0} +\frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & b\le r
\end{cases}.$$ The way you wrote it, ##\hat{r}## only multiplies the last term, and you'd be adding a scalar to a vector, which doesn't make sense.

vela said:
No, your expression for the electric field is non-sensical. It should be
$$\vec{E}=\begin{cases}
0 & r<a \\
\left[\rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0}+ \frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & a<r<b \\
\left[\rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0} +\frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & b\le r
\end{cases}.$$ The way you wrote it, ##\hat{r}## only multiplies the last term, and you'd be adding a scalar to a vector, which doesn't make sense.
Yeah I forgot about the parentheses. Have I done everything else right?

can i get some help?

ghostfolk said:
So far, have I done everything correctly?
Yes, it looks like you're doing okay setting up the integrals.

gneill said:
Yes, it looks like you're doing okay setting up the integrals.
Do you think there could've been an easier method? I know there's the other equation ##U=\int \rho V d^3r##, but I felt that it would be just as tedious being that I would still need to find the electric field to get ##V##.

ghostfolk said:
Do you think there could've been an easier method? I know there's the other equation ##U=\int \rho V d^3r##, but I felt that it would be just as tedious being that I would still need to find the electric field to get ##V##.
I don't think you'll be able to avoid messy integrals either way.

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy associated with the configuration of charged particles in an electric field. It is the energy required to assemble the charges in their respective positions and is dependent on the distance between the charges and their magnitudes.

2. How is electrostatic energy calculated?

The electrostatic energy in a configuration can be calculated using the equation U = 1/2 * ∑[qi * φi], where U is the total energy, qi is the magnitude of the charge and φi is the potential at the location of the charge. This equation is also known as Coulomb's law.

3. Can electrostatic energy be negative?

Yes, electrostatic energy can be negative. This happens when the charges in the configuration have opposite signs and are attracted to each other. In this case, the energy is released when the charges come together and the total energy is negative.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electrostatic energy?

The electrostatic energy is inversely proportional to the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the energy decreases and vice versa. This is because the electric force between charges decreases with distance, thus resulting in a lower energy.

5. What is the unit of electrostatic energy?

The unit of electrostatic energy is Joules (J) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is expressed as ergs (1 erg = 1 g * cm2 / s2).