Find the value of a complex number of sin and cos?

In summary, our teacher did not really teach us how to do this problem. We need to find a simpler standard expression for (1+i)^{-1} and then multiply this number by the numerator.
joey2

Homework Statement

fnd 1+i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/1+i knowing sin ∏/12 cos ∏/12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Our teacher did not really teached me how to do it...

Physics news on Phys.org
joey2 said:

Homework Statement

fnd 1+i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]/1+i knowing sin ∏/12 cos ∏/12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Our teacher did not really teached me how to do it...

You wrote
[tex] 1 + i \frac{\sqrt{3}}{1} + i = 1 + i \left(\sqrt{3}+1\right).[/tex]
Is that really what you want?

I assume you mean you want to find [itex]\frac{1+i\sqrt{3}}{1+i}[/itex]. When it comes to division by complex numbers, we use the strict axiomatic definition that we seldom bother with in real number division: [itex]\frac{a}{b} = a\cdot b^{-1}[/itex] where [itex]b^{-1}[/itex] is the unique number such that [itex]b\cdot b^{-1} = b^{-1}\cdot b = 1[/itex].
So your first job is to find a simpler standard expression for [itex](1 + i)^{-1}[/itex], and then multiply this number by the numerator. In other words, which complex number do we have to multiply by (1 + i) to get 1 ?
There is, of course, a standardized way to solve this problem that your teacher may have derived in class as well.

^?

If we write complex numbers in the (geometric) form
$$z=r \,[ \cos(\theta)+\imath \, \sin(\theta)]$$
it is easy to divide using the rule
$$\frac{z_1}{z_2}=\frac{r_1 \,[ \cos(\theta_1)+\imath \, \sin(\theta_1)]}{r_2 \,[ \cos(\theta_2)+\imath \, \sin(\theta_2)]}=\frac{r_1}{r_2} \,[ \cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)+\imath \, \sin(\theta_1-\theta_2)]$$

use this fact to find
$$\frac{1+\imath\sqrt{3}}{1+\imath} \\ \text{hint: } \\ 1+\imath\sqrt{3}=2 \left(\frac{1}{2}+\imath\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)\\1+\imath=\sqrt{2} \left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+\imath\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)$$

OK guys, no more help until the OP comes back. Also, some of the replies I see here might possibly go right over the head of the OP. You'll have him/her "drinking from a firehose."

Related to Find the value of a complex number of sin and cos?

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i representing the square root of -1.

2. How do you find the value of sin and cos for a complex number?

To find the value of sin and cos for a complex number, you can use the formula e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where x is the complex number. This formula is known as Euler's formula and it allows us to calculate the value of sin and cos for any complex number.

3. Can a complex number have a negative value for sin or cos?

Yes, a complex number can have a negative value for sin or cos. This can occur when the imaginary part of the complex number is negative, causing the overall value to be negative.

4. What is the relationship between the values of sin and cos for a complex number?

The values of sin and cos for a complex number are related through the Pythagorean identity: sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1. This means that the square of the sine of a complex number plus the square of the cosine of the same complex number will always equal 1.

5. Can the value of sin or cos for a complex number be greater than 1 or less than -1?

No, the value of sin and cos for a complex number cannot be greater than 1 or less than -1. This is because the range of values for sin and cos is between -1 and 1, inclusive.