Find the Cartesian equation given the parametric equations

In summary, the equations for x and y can be solved for when both x and y are positive, but when x or y are negative, the equations become inconsistent.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the cartesian equation given the parametric equations;

##x=\cos ^3t, y=\sin^3 t ##
Relevant Equations
parametric equations
hmmmmm nice one...boggled me a bit; was trying to figure out which trig identity and then alas it clicked :wink:

My take;

##x=(\cos t)^3 ## and ##y=(\sin t)^3##

##\sqrt[3] x=\cos t## and ##\sqrt[3] y=\sin t##

we know that

##\cos^2 t + \sin^2t=1##

therefore we shall have,

##x^{\frac{2}{3}} + y^{\frac{2}{3}}=1##

Any other way is highly appreciated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider negative x y case.

anuttarasammyak said:
You should consider negative x y case.
I seem not to get you. Consider negative cases in what way?

I interpreted the equation as well as Wolfram do as below shown.

1674349062272.png
1674349135976.png

As for your
[tex]\sqrt[3] x=\cos t ,\sqrt[3] y=\sin t[/tex]
I am not sure whether [tex]\sqrt[3]{-1}=-1[/tex] is a conventional expression. Say it is so,
[tex](-1)^{2/6}=1^{1/6}=1 \neq (-1)^{1/3}[/tex]
That seems inconvenient.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I am not sure whether [tex]\sqrt[3]{-1}=-1[/tex] is a conventional expression.
Sure it is. A negative real number has a real and negative root, plus a couple complex roots.

If we allow negative x for ##x^{m/n}##
[tex]x^{m/n}=x^{2m/2n}=(x^2)^{m/2n}=(|x|^2)^{m/2n}=|x|^{m/n}[/tex]
for an example
[tex]\sqrt[n]{-1}=\sqrt[n]{1}=1[/tex]
which is a false statement. So I think we had better use ##x^{m/n}## for only positive x.

[EDIT] In order the defnition of imaginary number unit,
[tex]\sqrt{-1}=i[/tex], remains sound, we should just watch as it is and never apply the procedures above.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I am not sure whether
[tex]\sqrt[3]{-1}=-1[/tex] is a conventional expression. Say it is so,
[tex](-1)^{2/6}=1^{1/6}=1 \neq (-1)^{1/3}[/tex]
That seems inconvenient.
I don't believe there is any problem with ##\sqrt[3]{-1} = (-1)^{1/3}##, both of which are equal to -1.
However, when you start manipulating the exponent, using the properties of fractional exponents, then I agree that you run into trouble when the base is negative.

Having thought about things a bit longer, @anuttarasammyak, I agree with what you are saying. The parametric equations ##x = \cos^3(t)## and ##y = \sin^3(t)## agree with the resulting equation that @chwala got: ##x^{2/3} + y^{2/3} = 1## only when both x and y are positive. For negative values of x or y, which map to values of t in the parametric equations, you run into problems of inconsistency in the non-parametric equation.

Likes anuttarasammyak and chwala

1. What are parametric equations and Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of variables as functions of one or more independent variables. Cartesian equations, also known as rectangular coordinates, are a way to represent points on a plane using the x and y axes.

2. Why do we need to convert parametric equations to Cartesian equations?

Parametric equations are useful for describing curves and motion in a more intuitive way, but Cartesian equations are often preferred for graphing and solving equations algebraically.

3. How do you find the Cartesian equation given the parametric equations?

To find the Cartesian equation, you need to eliminate the parameter from the parametric equations by solving for it in terms of x and y. Then, substitute the expression for the parameter into the other equation to get a single equation in terms of x and y.

4. What are some common techniques for converting parametric equations to Cartesian equations?

One common technique is to use the Pythagorean identity to eliminate the parameter. Another technique is to use the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine to express the parametric equations in terms of x and y.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the Cartesian equation given the parametric equations?

Yes, for example, if the parametric equations are x = t^2 and y = 2t, we can eliminate the parameter t by solving for t in the first equation: t = √x. Then, substitute this into the second equation to get y = 2√x. This is the Cartesian equation for the given parametric equations.