Find the value of alpha and beta (matrix equation)

In summary: No, you only need to multiply each side of the equation by the matrix itself.The result of ##A^{-1}C## is not a matrix. It's a column vector. Maybe review how matrix multiplication works.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hello, I have three matrices
A =
[3 -4
2 1]

B =

β]

C=

5]

The question now states AB = C

Find the values of (alpha) and (beta).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the inverse of A, then I multiplied each side of the equation AB=C by the inverse, and I was left with

alpha = alpha
Beta = 5

But apparently this answer is wrong.

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn(1).gif
    CodeCogsEqn(1).gif
    592 bytes · Views: 755
  • CodeCogsEqn(2).gif
    CodeCogsEqn(2).gif
    518 bytes · Views: 764
  • CodeCogsEqn(3).gif
    CodeCogsEqn(3).gif
    503 bytes · Views: 783
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I have three matrices View attachment 218962 , View attachment 218963 and View attachment 218964

The question now states AB = C

Find the values of (alpha) and (beta).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the inverse of A, then I multiplied each side of the equation AB=C by the inverse, and I was left with

alpha = alpha
Beta = 5

But apparently this answer is wrong.

Yes, it's wrong. No way to tell why unless you show some of the details of how you got that.

You cannot see the matrices pictures I posted?

Richie Smash said:
You cannot see the matrices pictures I posted?

No, I can't, just the problem statement. BTW computing the inverse is really unnecessary. Just solve the linear equations you get by multiplying the original matrix equation out.

Richie Smash said:
A =
3 -4
2 1

B =
α
β

c=
α
It looks like you are trying to do things the hard way to layout the response. I'd encourage you to learn TeX. But in the meantime, just skip to showing the equations you get by multiplying out the matrix problem.

Richie Smash said:
A =
3 -4
2 1

B =
α
β

c=
α
Use Latex:
$$A = \pmatrix{3&-4\\2&1}, \; B = \pmatrix{\alpha\\ \beta}, \; C = \pmatrix{\alpha \\ 5}$$
You can type this as quickly as the hard-to-read version you just typed avove.

Richie Smash said:
right so I found the inverse of A which is
1/11 , 4 /11
-2/11 , 3/11

Multiplied that on both sides of AB=C

and I got
α = (1/11)α, 20/11
β (-2/11)α , 15/11

You can split that into two equations, right? The first one only has ##\alpha## in it. What's ##\alpha##?

\begin{pmatrix}α \\ β \end{pmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{11}a &\frac{20}{11} \\
\frac{-2}{11}a& \frac{15}{11}
\end{bmatrix}

here is the proper end result of what I got when I multiplied AB = C by the inverse of A.

Um I do not know how I can split that into two equations.

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
\\binom{\alpha }{\beta }= \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{11}a &\frac{20}{11} \\
\frac{-2}{11}a& \frac{15}{11}
\end{bmatrix}

here is the proper end result of what I got when I multiplied AB = C by the inverse of A.

Um I do not know how I can split that into two equations.

The result of ##A^{-1}C## is not a matrix. It's a column vector. Maybe review how matrix multiplication works. You are missing two '+' signs.

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
A =
[3 -4
2 1]
The above, using LaTeX:
##\begin{bmatrix}3 & -4 \\ 2 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##

Here's the unrendered script: \begin{bmatrix}3 & -4 \\ 2 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
I prefer to write matrices with brackets (using bmatrix, as above), rather than with parentheses (using pmatrix). I think that most linear algebra textbooks use the brackets.

OK finally I've done it, Hi guys, yes I multiplied both sides of the equation after finding the inverse of A, and the result I got was in post number 8.

But now I see that Dick is right it should be a column vector and I got \begin{pmatrix}\frac{21}{11}a \\ \frac{13}{11}a \end{pmatrix}

Richie Smash said:
OK finally I've done it, Hi guys, yes I multiplied both sides of the equation after finding the inverse of A, and the result I got was in post number 8.

But now I see that Dick is right it should be a column vector and I got \begin{pmatrix}\frac{21}{11}a \\ \frac{13}{11}a \end{pmatrix}

Shouldn't that be:

\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{11}a + \frac{20}{11} \\
\frac{-2}{11}a + \frac{15}{11}
\end{bmatrix}

Not the same. Now equate that to ##\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b \end{bmatrix}##.

Sorry I don't know where I went wrong, I was following a website's instructions and reading up on this and they said to solve a matrix equation, first find the inverse of the coefficient matrix, so in this case it is the inverse of A.

Then they said multiply each side of the equation by the inverse, and then you should be left with the variables on the left and the constant on the right.

So that's what i did here and I ended up with this, is there no easier way??

Richie Smash said:
Sorry I don't know where I went wrong, I was following a website's instructions and reading up on this and they said to solve a matrix equation, first find the inverse of the coefficient matrix, so in this case it is the inverse of A.

Then they said multiply each side of the equation by the inverse, and then you should be left with the variables on the left and the constant on the right.

So that's what i did here and I ended up with this, is there no easier way??

That advice only applies if you have all of the variables in the column vector on the side of the equation with the matrix. You have variables on both sides. The inverse matrix isn't helping. Just multiply out the original matrix equation getting column vectors on both sides. Then equate the components of the column vectors. Giving you two equations in two unknowns.

Likes Richie Smash
WOW that really worked!

It was like a simultaneous equation thanks Dick!

Richie Smash said:
WOW that really worked!

It was like a simultaneous equation thanks Dick!

You're welcome and, yes, it IS a simultaneous equation problem. You could also have pushed on and solved ##\frac{a}{11}+\frac{20}{11}=a## and ##\frac{-2a}{11}+\frac{15}{11}=b## which you'd get after multiplying by the inverse. Multiplying by the inverse didn't hurt. It just didn't help.

Likes Richie Smash

What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation that involves matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables. The equation typically involves performing operations on the matrices to solve for the values of the variables.

What are alpha and beta in a matrix equation?

Alpha and beta are variables in a matrix equation. Alpha is often used to represent the coefficient matrix, which contains the constant values in the equation. Beta represents the variable matrix, which contains the values that are being solved for.

How do you find the value of alpha and beta in a matrix equation?

To find the value of alpha and beta in a matrix equation, you need to perform operations on the matrices using matrix algebra. This involves using techniques such as row operations, Gaussian elimination, or finding the inverse of a matrix.

Why is it important to find the value of alpha and beta in a matrix equation?

Finding the values of alpha and beta in a matrix equation allows us to solve for the variables and understand the relationship between them. This is important in many scientific fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, where matrix equations are commonly used to model and solve complex systems.

What are some real-world applications of finding the value of alpha and beta in a matrix equation?

Matrix equations are used in various real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, machine learning, and economics. For example, in computer graphics, matrix equations are used to transform and manipulate images, while in machine learning, they are used to solve problems in data analysis and pattern recognition. In economics, matrix equations are used to model and analyze complex systems, such as supply and demand relationships.