Find the Value of c for Normal Distribution of Lemon Juice Cans | Homework Help

In summary, the actual volume of juice in a can of lemon juice is normally distributed with a mean of 445 ml and a standard deviation of 3.6 ml. 94% of the cans contain between 445-c ml and 445+c ml of juice, and the value of c is approximately 6.77 ml.
vanceEE

Homework Statement

"Cans of lemon juice are supposed to contain 440 ml of juice. It is found that the actual volume of
juice in a can is normally distributed with mean 445 ml and standard deviation 3.6 ml."

It is found that 94% of the cans contain between 445−c ml and 445+c ml of juice.
(ii) Find the value of c

Homework Equations

X~N(445,3.6)
$$p(445-c ≤ x ≤ 445+c) = 0.94$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$p(445-c ≤ x ≤ 445+c) = 0.94$$
$$p(x≤ 445+c)-p(x≥445-c)= 0.94$$
$$p(x≤ 445+c)-p(x≥445-c)= 0.94$$
$$p(x≤ 445+c)-[1-p(x≤445-c)]= 0.94$$
$$p(x≤ 445+c)+p(x≤445-c)= 1.94$$

..whenever I standardize this normal distribution, the terms cancel out. How would I go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please disregard, I came up with a solution!

$$P(445-c≤x≤445+c) = 0.94$$
$$P(\frac{-c}{3.6}≤z≤\frac{c}{3.6}) = 0.94$$
$$\phi(\frac{c}{3.6})-\phi(\frac{-c}{3.6}) = 0.94$$
$$\phi(\frac{c}{3.6})-[1-\phi(\frac{c}{3.6})] = 0.94$$
$$2\phi(\frac{c}{3.6}) = 1.94$$
$$\phi(\frac{c}{3.6}) = 0.97$$
$$\frac{c}{3.6} = \phi^{-1}(0.97)$$
$$ c = 3.6(1.88079...) = 6.77 $$

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a probability distribution that is symmetrical around its mean value. This means that most of the data values are clustered around the mean, and the probabilities for values further away from the mean decrease equally in both directions.

2. What are the characteristics of a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is characterized by its mean, standard deviation, and shape. The mean is the center of the distribution and represents the average value of the data. The standard deviation measures the spread or variability of the data. The shape of a normal distribution is bell-shaped and symmetrical.

3. How is a normal distribution used in statistics?

A normal distribution is used in statistics to model real-world phenomena that are naturally distributed. It is also used as a basis for many statistical tests and calculations, such as calculating probabilities and confidence intervals, and determining whether a sample is representative of a larger population.

4. What is the 68-95-99.7 rule for a normal distribution?

The 68-95-99.7 rule, also known as the empirical rule, states that for a normal distribution, approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

5. How can I check if my data follows a normal distribution?

There are several methods to check if your data follows a normal distribution. One way is to create a histogram and visually inspect if it has a bell-shaped curve. Another method is to calculate the skewness and kurtosis of the data; if they are close to zero, the data is likely to be normally distributed. Additionally, statistical tests such as the Shapiro-Wilk test can be used to determine the normality of the data.