Factor an equation second order in ##x,y## with other variables

• Thread starter brotherbobby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Resolve into two or more factors : ##\large{\boldsymbol{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy}}##.
Relevant Equations
1. ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)##
1706337399659.png
Statement of the problem :
Let me copy and paste to the right the problem as it appears in the text.

Attempt : I couldn't go far into the solution. Below is my hopeless attempt.

1706337172892.png

Request : Any hints would be welcome.

[There are no solutions provided, but the answers are at the back of the text. I don't want to cheat my way out by looking at the factorised answer and then working my way back, though I admit it can lead to some learning too in the process]

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm not sure, wolfram does this very fast and it gives 2 factors with 3 terms each that is $$(A+B+C)(D+E+F)$$

Thanks but how to go about it? I have the answer already at the back of the text, am sure, but that doesn't help. :-(

Well I don't know, looking at the wolfram answer the terms are +-(ax) +-(by) +-(cy), so I guess something like full expand the expression and then try to identify these terms and/or their squares.

The website is good as a check, but not one to learn mathematics from.
I'd like to do it the old way, not least because my text is from the 1800's!

• Informative
Likes DaveE, fresh_42 and Delta2
My original idea before looking at wolfram was to write $$(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2=3(b-c)^2y^2-c(b-c)y^2$$ and see if that helps but I abandon it maybe this idea inspires you but I very much doubt it.

Why so? Not bad at all. Let me give it a try.
I am clueless with this problem so every little helps.

brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement: Resolve into two or more factors : ##\large{\boldsymbol{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy}}##.
Relevant Equations: 1. ##a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)##

View attachment 339261Statement of the problem : Let me copy and paste to the right the problem as it appears in the text.

Attempt : I couldn't go far into the solution. Below is my hopeless attempt.

View attachment 339259

Request : Any hints would be welcome.

[There are no solutions provided, but the answers are at the back of the text. I don't want to cheat my way out by looking at the factorised answer and then working my way back, though I admit it can lead to some learning too in the process]
Why not multiply back your factored form see if you get back your initial expression?

What comes to mind is "completing the square". We have ...
\begin{align*}
2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy&=2a^2x^2-(6b^2-14bc+8c^2)y^2+abxy\\
&=2a^2x^2-(6b^2-14bc+(49/6)c^2)y^2+abxy + (1/6)c^2y^2\\
&=2a^2x^2 -(\sqrt{6}b-(7c/\sqrt{6}))^2 +abxy + (1/6)c^2y^2\\
&\ldots
\end{align*}
... but I admit that I don't have a clue how to go on.

Another idea is to use only the terms with a coefficient ##a## first ...
\begin{align*}
2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy&=\left(\sqrt{2}ax+\dfrac{by}{2\sqrt{2}}\right)^2-\dfrac{b^2}{8}y^2 \ldots\\
\phantom{2a^2x^2-2(3b-4c)(b-c)y^2+abxy=}&\ldots -\left(\sqrt{6}b-\dfrac{7c}{\sqrt{6}}\right)^2 + \dfrac{c^2}{6}y^2\\
&=\ldots
\end{align*}
... which looks as if ##(A-B)(A+B)=A^2-B^2## could now be applied twice.

This exercise looks like it is meant to practice all variations of the formulas ##(A\pm B)(A\mp B)=\ldots ## and completing the square.

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR and Delta2
Cant see the full solution in wolfram cause I don't have subscription there but it claims as first step to split the product $$4a^2y^2(3b-4c)(b-c) $$into two factors that have sum ##aby##. Those AI engines can be amazing but I don't think a human could think that unless of course he was thinking this for like days.

Delta2 said:
Cant see the full solution in wolfram cause I don't have subscription there but it claims as first step to split the product $$4a^2y^2(3b-4c)(b-c) $$into two factors that have sum ##aby##. Those AI engines can be amazing but I don't think a human could think that unless of course he was thinking this for like days.
That human didn't need to think. I guess he just expand sth like (ax+b+c)(ax+y-c) to get sth else and asks us to find first two factors. I can't see how it helps to learn sth it's more similar to a puzzle.

I don't know why Latex doesn't work in my posts anymore ...

MatinSAR said:
It requires refreshing the page occasionally.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
That human didn't need to think. I guess he just expand sth like (ax+b+c)(ax+y-c) to get sth else and asks us to find first two factors. I can't see how it helps to learn sth it's more similar to a puzzle.

as human here you mean the problem setter? I was talking about the guy that tries to solve this problem.

Likes MatinSAR
fresh_42 said:
It requires refreshing the page occasionally.
Thanks.
Delta2 said:
as human here you mean the problem setter?
Yes. I misunderstood your idea. Sorry.

Likes Delta2
Given the coefficient of [itex]x^2[/itex] is [itex]2a^2[/itex], it makes sense to look for a solution [tex]
2(ax + By)(ax + Dy) = 2a^2x^2 + 2a(B + D)xy + 2BDy^2.[/tex] Since [itex]p = B + D[/itex] and [itex]q = BD[/itex] are known, we can find [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex] as the roots of [tex]
z^2 - pz + q = 0.[/tex]

Since those factors involve square roots, we can instead try [tex](2ax + By)(ax + Dy) = 2a^2x^2 + a(B + 2D)xy + BDy^2.[/tex] which leads to [itex]B + 2D = b[/itex] and [itex]BD = -2(3b - 4c)(b - c)[/itex] which by inspection has a solution [itex]B = -(3b - 4c), D = 2(b - c)[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE, e_jane, MatinSAR and 1 other person

1. How do you factor an equation second order in x, y with other variables?

Factoring an equation second order in x, y with other variables involves identifying common factors among the terms in the equation and rearranging them to express the equation as a product of simpler expressions. This process requires careful analysis of the terms and may involve trial and error.

2. What are the steps to factor an equation second order in x, y with other variables?

The steps to factor an equation second order in x, y with other variables include identifying common factors, grouping terms, factoring out common factors, and simplifying the resulting expressions. It is important to pay attention to the signs and coefficients of the terms to ensure an accurate factorization.

3. Can factoring an equation second order in x, y with other variables simplify the expression?

Yes, factoring an equation second order in x, y with other variables can simplify the expression by breaking it down into simpler components. This can make the equation easier to analyze, manipulate, and solve for specific variables or parameters.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for factoring equations second order in x, y with other variables?

There are various techniques and strategies for factoring equations second order in x, y with other variables, such as factoring by grouping, using the difference of squares formula, or applying special factorization formulas for certain types of equations. The choice of technique depends on the structure and complexity of the equation.

5. How can factoring an equation second order in x, y with other variables help in solving mathematical problems?

Factoring an equation second order in x, y with other variables can help in solving mathematical problems by simplifying complex expressions, identifying patterns or relationships among the terms, and facilitating the process of solving for unknown variables or parameters. It can also provide insights into the underlying structure of the equation and aid in making predictions or drawing conclusions based on the factors identified.