Find the velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field

In summary, you need to find the potential energy between two points and use the work-energy theorem to calculate the kinetic energy of a charge.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Ring of radius 10cm and charge of 3##\mu C## at the origin.
Ring axis aligned with z.
Electric potential along z is V=## \frac{kQ}{\sqrt{z^2+R^2}}##
Then another charge of -5##\mu C## and mass of 0.1kg released from the origin at u = 7m/s in k direction.
Find the velocity of q at z=3m
Relevant Equations
##E = k\frac{\lambda a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}##
1568982671512.png

Okay, I am not even sure how to startr with this question. But here's my theory:

First I will need to the electric field produced by the ring using the formula:

##E = k\frac{\lambda a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}##

After finding out electric field produced by ring, am I supposed to find out the acceleration on the charge using ##a=\frac{eq}{m}## ? If so, the direction will be the k axis I assume?

If the above holds true, then I will proceed to use kinematics equation to solve for speed using ##v^2=u^2+2as## ? Since I have final displacement and acceleration (if I am correct)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach would be right if the electric field (and hence the acceleration) were constant along the z-axis, but they are not.

You don't need to calculate the electric field ,neither the acceleration. You are given the potential ##V## as function of ##z##. Use that the work of electric field on a charge ##q## between two points A and B along the z-axis is ##W_{AB}=(V(z_A)-V(z_B))q## and also use the work-energy theorem.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Your approach would be right if the electric field (and hence the acceleration) were constant along the z-axis, but they are not.

You don't need to calculate the electric field ,neither the acceleration. You are given the potential ##V## as function of ##z##. Use that the work of electric field on a charge ##q## between two points A and B along the z-axis is ##W_{AB}=(V(z_A)-V(z_B))q## and also use the work-energy theorem.
I actually kind of understood what you meant, but my workings doesn't reflect it. Here's my workings:
##W_{AB}=(V(z_A)-V(z_B))q##
##W_{AB}=3*10^{-6}(\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{R^2+3^2}}-\frac{kQ}{\sqrt{R^2}}) = 3*10^{-6}(\frac{(9*10^9)(-5*10^{-6})}{\sqrt{0.1^2+3^2}}-\frac{(9*10^9)(-5*10^{-6})}{\sqrt{0.1^2}}) = 1.30502...##
Since change in kinetic energy = Work done
##1.30502... = \frac{1}{2}mv_{f}^2-\frac{1}{2}mv_{i}^2 ##
##1.30502... = \frac{1}{2}(0.1)v_{f}^2-\frac{1}{2}(0.1)7^2 ##
##v_{f} = 8.666...##
which is incorrect. Any ideas?

There is a sign error in the work ##W_{AB}## and that's because you took as point A the point at z=3. Take as point A the point at z=0 and point B the point at z=3.

The formula for work is for movement from point A to point B.

Last edited:
Likes jisbon
Delta2 said:
There is a sign error in the work ##W_{AB}## and that's because you took as point A the point at z=3. Take as point A the point at z=0 and point B the point at z=3.

The formula for work is for movement from point A to point B.
I got it :) 4.79m/s.
Thanks so much

Likes Delta2

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical particle that has a finite amount of electric charge concentrated at a single point in space.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is a vector quantity and is represented by lines of force that point in the direction of the force at each point in the field.

3. How do you find the velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field?

The velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field can be found using the equation v = E/q, where v is the velocity, E is the strength of the electric field, and q is the charge of the particle. This equation assumes that the particle is moving in a circular path around the ring.

4. Is the velocity of a point charge constant in a ring of electric field?

No, the velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field is not constant. It depends on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle. As the electric field or charge changes, the velocity will also change.

5. How does the velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field affect its trajectory?

The velocity of a point charge in a ring of electric field affects its trajectory by determining the shape and size of its circular path. A higher velocity will result in a larger radius of the path, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller radius.