Find the wingspan and sweep angle of a V-tail

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of aspect ratio and sweep angle for a V-tail on a fixed wing UAV. The approach suggested is to use the vertical and horizontal projections of a conventional tail to dimension the V-tail. Examples of proven designs and high performance jets are also mentioned as references. The conversation ends with the speaker sharing their personal experience flying a V-tail Beech Bonanza without electronics.
gregh
Hello guys this is my fisrt post on this forum ; I can't find anywhere how to calculate the aspect ratio and sweep angle of a V-tail. in my project I have a fixed wing uav with a normal tail that has Har = 3.1 and a Var = 1.7.

following this site: " http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/design/markdrela_vtailsizing.htm " , I converted the area of my tail in a v-tail that has an area of 0.052m^3 for each wing and a dihedral angle of 34°.

so I thought I'd go like this: I find the wingspan in my case: Hws = 0.495m Vws = 0.250m, divide them by two and then apply some trigonometry.

ex: wingspan of the V-tail of each surface = cos (34) * (Hws / 2) + sin (56) * (Vws / 2)

Do you think this is a correct approach? Can I use the same approach to determine the sweep angle?

thanks in advance for any reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, gregh! :cool:

I would simply use the vertical and horizontal projections of your conventional tail to dimension your new V-tail.
I see no reason to divide the vertical wingspan by two.

Likes berkeman
It's good idea to check your calculations against proven designs. Some examples:
Beech Bonanza
Monerai
Waiex-B
SubSonex
Cirrus Vision SF50

Depending on the configuration of your design, you may want to look at some high performance jets:
Lockheed F-117
Fouga CM 170 Magister

BTW, back in the 1970's, I did my commercial cross country in a V-tail 1947 Beech Bonanza. California to Wisconsin and back. The trip got interesting after the generator burned out in Wyoming on the return trip, and I flew the rest of the trip with the electronics turned off.

• Wow
Likes Lnewqban and berkeman

What is a V-tail?

A V-tail is a type of aircraft tail configuration where the horizontal stabilizers and elevators are combined into a single surface in a V-shaped arrangement.

Why is it important to find the wingspan and sweep angle of a V-tail?

Knowing the wingspan and sweep angle of a V-tail is important for determining the overall aerodynamic performance and stability of the aircraft. It also helps in designing and optimizing the V-tail for different flight conditions.

How do you measure the wingspan of a V-tail?

The wingspan of a V-tail can be measured by taking the distance from one wingtip to the other wingtip, passing through the center of the fuselage. This can be done using a measuring tape or a ruler.

What is the sweep angle of a V-tail?

The sweep angle of a V-tail is the angle formed between the leading edge of the V-tail and the imaginary line perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. It is usually measured at the quarter-chord point of the V-tail.

How is the sweep angle of a V-tail determined?

The sweep angle of a V-tail can be determined by measuring the distance between the leading edge and the quarter-chord point of the V-tail, and then using trigonometry to calculate the angle. It can also be determined using specialized tools such as a protractor or a digital angle finder.