Find the Y-parameters for the following two-port circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ongxom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, Y-parameters are a set of parameters used to describe the behavior of a two-port circuit in terms of its input and output voltage and current. They are important in circuit analysis as they allow for easy calculation of circuit responses and can determine stability and performance. To calculate Y-parameters, open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current at the input and output ports must be measured and then plugged into the formula Y = [I]/[V]. The units of Y-parameters are siemens or mhos, which represent the ratio of current to voltage. Y-parameters differ from other sets of parameters, such as Z-parameters and S-parameters, in that they use different variables and are typically used for circuits with voltage sources
ongxom

Homework Statement

Find the Y-parameters for the following two-port circuit
6g6pXFF.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Node 1 :V1(1/3+1/4)-1/4V2=I1
Node 2 : -1/4V1 + V2(1/4+1/5)-1/5(2I1)=I2

Subtitute I1 from the first equation to second equation, we have :
I1=7/12V1-1/4V2
I2=-29/60V1+11/20V2

So y11=7/12, y12=-1/4, y21=-29/60, y22=11/20

But the solution gives me that y12=1/4 and y21=29/60, there are differences of signs. I haven't found my mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could be you haven't made a mistake! Your results look okay to me.

Your answer is correct. The "solution" is wrong.

Last edited:

1. What are Y-parameters and why are they important in circuit analysis?

Y-parameters are a set of parameters that describe the behavior of a two-port circuit in terms of its input and output voltage and current. They are important in circuit analysis because they allow us to easily calculate the response of a circuit to different input signals, and they can be used to determine the stability and performance of a circuit.

2. How do you calculate Y-parameters for a two-port circuit?

To calculate Y-parameters for a two-port circuit, you first need to measure the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current at the input and output ports. Then, you can use these values to calculate the Y-parameters using the formula Y = [I]/[V], where [I] is the short-circuit current and [V] is the open-circuit voltage.

3. What are the units of Y-parameters?

The units of Y-parameters are siemens (S) or mhos (℧), which are both equivalent to inverse ohms (Ω⁻¹). This represents the ratio of current to voltage in a circuit.

4. How do Y-parameters differ from other set of parameters, such as Z-parameters and S-parameters?

Y-parameters describe the behavior of a two-port circuit in terms of its input and output voltage and current, while Z-parameters and S-parameters use impedance and scattering parameters, respectively. Y-parameters are typically used for analyzing circuits with voltage sources, while Z-parameters are used for circuits with current sources, and S-parameters are used for high-frequency circuits.

5. Can Y-parameters be used to analyze non-linear circuits?

No, Y-parameters are only valid for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits require different analysis methods, such as small-signal analysis or large-signal analysis.