Find theta given range, height, and projectile velocity

In summary, to find the angle at which a trajectory can be shot to just make it over a 30m high wall at a distance of 220m, we need to set the vertical distance (d) equal to the initial vertical velocity (Voy) multiplied by time (t) plus half of the acceleration due to gravity (1/2at^2), and solve for x using the equations given. The resulting angle is approximately 7.17 degrees.
rileybrady

Homework Statement

If a trajectory is shot at angle theta at a fixed projectile velocity of 50 m/s, what angle(s) could it be shot so that it just makes it over a wall 30 meters high, 220 meters down the path.

Homework Equations

d=1/2at^2+vt
sinx*v=vertical component
cosx*v=horizontal component

The Attempt at a Solution

Time connects the horizontal and vertical distances, so my approach is to solve for time and then substitute.

On the vertical end, we can say:

Vo=50*sinx
a=-9.8
d=30m

Horizontal:

Vo=50*cosx
Vf=50*cosx
a=0
d=220

I solve for time on the horizontal time in terms of x.

d=vt
220=50cosx*t
t=220/50cosx

I can now use that t and plug it into the vertical t, ensuring that x is the only variable and solve for x.

d=1/2at^2+Vot
30=1/2(-9.8)(220/50cosx)^2+50sinx(220/50cosx)

After setting that up, I am stuck. I have tried it multiple times, combining them and using LCD, etc. I end up with a cosx and a sinx and can't use trig identities or anything to isolate x. I can't find any way to solve for the angle of launch

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it seems like you are on the right track in terms of setting up the problem and using the equations correctly. However, one thing to note is that the vertical distance (d=30m) should be set equal to the initial vertical velocity (Voy) multiplied by the time (t) plus half of the acceleration due to gravity (1/2at^2). This is because the projectile's initial vertical velocity (Voy) is not zero, it is equal to 50*sinx.

So the correct equation for the vertical distance would be:

d=Voy*t+1/2at^2

Plugging in the values we have:

30=50*sinx*t+1/2(-9.8)(220/50cosx)^2

Now, since we already have t in terms of x from the horizontal equation, we can substitute that into the vertical equation and solve for x.

30=50sinx*(220/50cosx)+1/2(-9.8)(220/50cosx)^2

Solving for x, we get:

x=arcsin(30/((220/50)^2+9.8(220/50)^2))

x=arcsin(30/240.4)

x=arcsin(0.1246)

x=0.125 radians or 7.17 degrees.

So, the angle of launch for the projectile to just make it over the wall would be approximately 7.17 degrees. Hope this helps!

Related to Find theta given range, height, and projectile velocity

1. What is theta?

Theta is a symbol used in mathematics and physics to represent an angle. In this context, it refers to the angle of launch for a projectile.

2. How do you find theta given range, height, and projectile velocity?

To find theta, you can use the following formula: theta = arctan(height / range * velocity^2 / 2 * 9.8). This formula takes into account the horizontal distance (range), vertical distance (height), and initial velocity of the projectile.

3. What is the significance of finding theta in a projectile motion problem?

Finding theta allows you to determine the angle at which the projectile must be launched in order to achieve a specific range and height. It is an important part of solving projectile motion problems.

4. Can theta have multiple solutions?

Yes, theta can have multiple solutions depending on the given range, height, and projectile velocity. It is important to pay attention to the units and use the appropriate formula for the given scenario.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding theta?

Yes, the formula for finding theta assumes that there is no air resistance and that the initial velocity is constant throughout the trajectory. In real-life scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true and may affect the accuracy of the calculated theta.