Find time dependent torque needed to turn a wire loop in a uniform B field

In summary, a single loop of wire with radius A rotating in a uniform magnetic field at angular frequency ω drives a current through a resistor R. The torque as a function of time needed to turn the wire can be determined by finding the time-dependent flux of B through the loop and using it to calculate the Emf generated. From there, the time-dependent current can be found and used to determine the angular component of the magnetic force, which will ultimately determine the torque. Alternatively, the assumption that energy is being lost by the resistor can also be used to make an easier calculation.
JFuld

Homework Statement

a single loop of wire with radius A is rotating in a uniform magnetic field at angular frequency ω. The loop of wire drives a current through a resistor R. Determine the torque as a function of time needed to turn the wire.

Homework Equations

1) Emf = ∫Fmag.dl (integral on closed loop)

2) flux of B = [itex]\Phi[/itex] =∫B.da

3) Emf= - d[itex]\Phi[/itex]/dt

4) V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my procedure right now:

Fist find the time dependent flux of B through the loop.

flux= ∫B.da;

B.da = B*da*cos(θ), where theta = ωt

then the integral is ∫∫B*cos(wt)rdrdθ (theta goes from 0-2pi, r goes from 0-R)

=π(A^2)Bcos(wt)

From this, the Emf generated can easily be found from eq 1.

Emf =-( -sin(wt)*(π(A^2)B/w))

= sin(wt)*(π(A^2)B/w)

Then time dependent current (I) can be found. since Emf=V=IR, I(t)=Emf/R

I(t) = 1/R* sin(wt)*(π(A^2)B/w)

Im not really sure what to do next, but here is what i did:

so the magnetic force per unit charge (Fmag) depends on the velocity of the charges.

The velocity has two parts, velocity due to the angular motion (Ill designate as v) and velocity due to the current (designated as u).

v points in an angular direction (same as direction of rotation)
u points tangent to the wire circle (same direction as current)

to add to the confusion, the current (and thus u) changes direction every half rotation.

then Fmag = (v x B) + (u x B)

letting B be oriented in the +y direction, (v x B) points in the direction of the current

The direction of (u x B) is tricky, it is in the direction normal to both I and B, and has an angular component.

So to find the torque, I need to figure out how (u x B) changes with time. Since this component of Fmag is the only one with an angular component, it is this anguar component that will determine the torque.

Does this sound right? If so, any tricks on figuring out (u x B)?

Physics news on Phys.org
JFuld said:
From this, the Emf generated can easily be found from eq 1.

Emf =-( -sin(wt)*(π(A^2)B/w))

why do you have 1/w ? I don't think you did the differentiation correctly.

JFuld said:
Then time dependent current (I) can be found. since Emf=V=IR, I(t)=Emf/R

I(t) = 1/R* sin(wt)*(π(A^2)B/w)
This is right (apart from the 1/w). From here, I guess there are a couple of ways you could go. There is one easy but cheap method that I can think of. You know that energy is being lost by the resistor, so can you use an assumption to give yourself an easy calculation?

1. How do you calculate the time dependent torque needed to turn a wire loop in a uniform B field?

To calculate the time dependent torque, you can use the formula: 𝛾𝛥 = 𝛾 x B x sin(Ωt), where 𝛾 represents the magnetic dipole moment of the wire loop, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and Ωt is the angular frequency of the loop's rotation.

2. What is the significance of the uniform B field in this scenario?

The uniform B field represents a constant magnetic field, which is necessary for the torque to remain constant throughout the rotation of the wire loop. This allows for an accurate calculation of the time dependent torque.

3. Can you explain the concept of time dependence in relation to torque?

Time dependence refers to the fact that the torque needed to turn the wire loop will vary over time, depending on the angular frequency of the loop's rotation. This means that the torque will be different at different points in time during the rotation.

4. How does the magnetic dipole moment of the wire loop affect the time dependent torque?

The magnetic dipole moment represents the strength and orientation of the wire loop's magnetic field. A larger magnetic dipole moment will result in a stronger torque, while a different orientation of the dipole moment may change the direction of the torque.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this calculation?

Calculating the time dependent torque needed to turn a wire loop in a uniform B field is important in various areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It can also be applied in technologies such as electric motors and generators.