Find V rms and MM using density

In summary, the gas has a density of 1.89 x 10-5 grams per cubic centimeter at a pressure of 1.28 x 10-2 atm.
bmartz

Homework Statement

At 332 K and 1.28 x 10-2 atm, the density of a gas is 1.89 x 10-5 g/cm3. (a) Find vrms for the gas molecules. (b) Find the molar mass of the gas.

Homework Equations

Vrms=√(3RT/M) (RMS speed)
PV=nRT (Ideal Gas Law)
D=m/V (Density)
M = m/n (Molar mass = mass/number of moles)

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I doing this wrong or is Wiley Plus wrong?

From Ideal Gas Law: V = nRT/P
Sub into Density: D = m/(nRT/P) = mP/nRT = (m/n)(P/RT)
Sub Molar mass: D = MP/RT
So M = DRT/P

Sub into RMS speed: Vrms = √(3RT/(DRT/P)) = √(3P/D)

After converting the pressure to Pa, and the density to kg/cm3, I got:
a) 4.53x105 = 453000
b) 4.04x10-3 = .0000000404

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bmartz said:

Homework Statement

At 332 K and 1.28 x 10-2 atm, the density of a gas is 1.89 x 10-5 g/cm3. (a) Find vrms for the gas molecules. (b) Find the molar mass of the gas.

Homework Equations

Vrms=√(3RT/M) (RMS speed)
PV=nRT (Ideal Gas Law)
D=m/V (Density)
M = m/n (Molar mass = mass/number of moles)

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I doing this wrong or is Wiley Plus wrong?

From Ideal Gas Law: V = nRT/P
Sub into Density: D = m/(nRT/P) = mP/nRT = (m/n)(P/RT)
Sub Molar mass: D = MP/RT
So M = DRT/P

Sub into RMS speed: Vrms = √(3RT/(DRT/P)) = √(3P/D)

After converting the pressure to Pa, and the density to kg/cm3, I got:
a) 4.53x105 = 453000
b) 4.04x10-3 = .0000000404

What does Wiley Plus say, does it show you are off by several orders of magnitude or the that your solution is wrong altogether? Your dimensional analysis of your solution yields velocity units. Which shows you should be on the right track, but your units are inconsistant. You converted pressure from atm to Pa(N/m^2). You converted density to kg/cm^3. To be consistent convert your density to kg/m^3. You'll get a different answer, how it compares to Wiley I don't 'know.

Last edited:
Hi bmartz,

Your equations for the RMS speed and molar mass are correct, but the results are wrong without the units. Check your units. What are they for the RMS speed and molar mass?

Also check if 4.04 x 10-3 is really 0.0000000404?
ehild

Sorry about that, units that I got:
a) m/s
b) kg

Also for b that was a typo, I meant to put in 4.04x10-8.

Vrms=√(3RT/M)=√(J/(mole*K)*K*mole/kg)
moles cancel and Kelvin cancel giving √(J/kg)=√(kg*m2/(s2*kg))=m/s

your solution gives
√(3P/D)=√(Pa/(kg/cm3))=√((N*cm3)/(m2*kg))
=√((kg*m*cm3)/(s2*m2*kg))
=√((cm3)/(s2*m)
in order to get m/s you need to convert cm3 to m3

Thank you. Now I feel silly for missing that :smile:.

1. What is V rms?

V rms, or root-mean-square voltage, is a mathematical concept used to describe the average voltage of an alternating current (AC) signal. It is calculated by finding the square root of the mean of the squared values of the voltage over a period of time.

2. How do you calculate V rms?

To calculate V rms, you first need to find the square of the voltage values at regular intervals over a period of time. Then, add all of these squared values together and divide by the total number of values. Finally, take the square root of this result to find the V rms.

3. What is MM in relation to density?

MM, or molecular mass, is a measure of the average mass of molecules in a substance. In the context of density, MM is used to calculate the density of a gas using the ideal gas law, where density is equal to the molecular mass multiplied by the gas constant and divided by the temperature and pressure.

4. How do you find MM using density?

To find MM using density, you can rearrange the ideal gas law equation to solve for MM. This would involve multiplying both sides of the equation by the temperature and pressure, then dividing by the gas constant and density. The resulting equation would give you the MM in units of grams per mole.

5. Can V rms and MM be used interchangeably?

No, V rms and MM are two completely different concepts and cannot be used interchangeably. V rms is a measure of voltage in an AC signal, while MM is a measure of the average mass of molecules in a substance. These two concepts are not related and cannot be used in place of each other.