Find volume of this object using integrals

In summary, the conversation is about using multiple integrals to determine the volume of a 3D object. The person has tried using cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates but has difficulty integrating. They are seeking help with writing the limits of integration correctly. The final result is supposed to be 32/9. They also discuss the placement of origin in cylindrical coordinates and the equation for a circle in polar coordinates.
ananonanunes
Homework Statement
_
Relevant Equations
_
1685030223409.png

I am given this expression which represents an object in 3D and the goal is to determine its volume using multiple integrals.
I started by drawing what I think is the object as well as two "slices" of that object on different planes (z=2 and z=1)

1685030427777.png

I have tried using cartesian, cylindrical and spherical coorddinates but I get a final result that seems impossible to integrate. My first instinct was to try to use Cavalieri's principle but I can't find a way to write the area of each "slice" only in terms of z. I think the problem is I'm not writing the limits of integration correctly so if anyone could help me out with that, it would be much appreciated.

(Final result is supposed to be 32/9)

Physics news on Phys.org
ananonanunes said:
Homework Statement: _
Relevant Equations: _

View attachment 327066

I am given this expression which represents an object in 3D and the goal is to determine its volume using multiple integrals.
I started by drawing what I think is the object as well as two "slices" of that object on different planes (z=2 and z=1)

View attachment 327067

I have tried using cartesian, cylindrical and spherical coordinates but I get a final result that seems impossible to integrate. My first instinct was to try to use Cavalieri's principle but I can't find a way to write the area of each "slice" only in terms of z. I think the problem is I'm not writing the limits of integration correctly so if anyone could help me out with that, it would be much appreciated.

(Final result is supposed to be 32/9)
It looks to me like cylindrical co-coordinates will work.

In what order did you do the integration, when you tried them?

Added in Edit:
Maybe not...

Last edited:
Likes ananonanunes
ananonanunes said:
I think the problem is I'm not writing the limits of integration correctly so if anyone could help me out with that, it would be much appreciated.
Can you write down the equation for the circle in polar coordinates?

Likes ananonanunes
There are two options:
1) You can place the origin of the cylindrical coordinates at the origin.
(2) You can place the origin of the cylindrical coordinates at the centre of the circle [itex]x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1[/itex].

The first of these leads to a simple integral; the other does not.

Likes ananonanunes
SammyS said:
It looks to me like cylindrical co-coordinates will work.

In what order did you do the integration, when you tried them?

Added in Edit:
Maybe not...
I tried integrating first z then r then teta because i wrote z in terms of r and r in terms of teta

vela said:
Can you write down the equation for the circle in polar coordinates?
I think that might be where my problem was but now that I look at it again it should be something like 0≤r≤2sinθ ; 0θ≤π

pasmith said:
There are two options:
1) You can place the origin of the cylindrical coordinates at the origin.
(2) You can place the origin of the cylindrical coordinates at the centre of the circle [itex]x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 1[/itex].

The first of these leads to a simple integral; the other does not.
I understand what you mean, thanks for the help

What is the concept of finding volume using integrals?

The concept of finding volume using integrals is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be used to find the area under the curve. In this case, the function represents the cross-sectional area of the object and the integral is used to sum up all the infinitesimal cross-sectional areas to find the total volume of the object.

What are the steps involved in finding volume using integrals?

The first step is to determine the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the object. This can be done by visualizing the object and breaking it down into simpler shapes whose volumes can be easily calculated. The next step is to set up the integral, with the limits of integration being the boundaries of the object. Finally, the integral is evaluated to find the volume of the object.

Can integrals be used to find the volume of any object?

Yes, integrals can be used to find the volume of any object as long as the cross-sectional area can be expressed as a function. This includes regular and irregular shapes, as well as objects with varying cross-sectional areas.

What are the advantages of using integrals to find volume?

Using integrals to find volume allows for a more accurate calculation compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the calculation of volumes for complex and irregularly shaped objects. Additionally, it is a versatile method that can be applied to various shapes and objects.

Are there any limitations to using integrals to find volume?

One limitation is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for complex objects. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts. Additionally, it may not be suitable for objects with constantly changing cross-sectional areas.