Find Wavelength of Standing Wave in 200 cm String: Get Help Now

• Thread starter Dark Visitor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, a standing wave is set up in a 200 cm string that vibrates in 5 distinct segments when driven by a 120 Hz source. By visualizing the string vibrating in 5 segments and using the information provided, it can be determined that the wavelength is 80 cm.
Dark Visitor
A standing wave is set up in a 200 cm string fixed at both ends. The string vibrates in 5 distinct segments when driven by a 120 Hz source. What is the wavelength?

* 10 cm
* 20 cm
* 40 cm
* 80 cm

I need some help with this problem. I can't seem to find anything with an equation or any helpful information for this. I don't even know where to start with this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Visualize the string vibrating in 5 segments. Go http://id.mind.net/~zona/mstm/physics/waves/standingWaves/standingWaves1/StandingWaves1.html" and choose 5th harmonic. You know that an up and down segment is one wavelength. So how many wavelengths fit on the string in this mode. How long is the string?

Last edited by a moderator:
5 wavelengths. And it is 200 cm, or 2 m.

Or would it be 2.5 wavelengths?

2.5! Remember a wavelength consists of the positive and negative going forms--run thru all the harmonics on that page, in the first case when there is only one deflection, that is 1/2 a wavelength.

Okay, I see. So where does the 120 Hz come in?

It doesn't unless you are asked to compute the velocity.

So what do I have to do now?

the string is 2 meters, you have 2.5 wavelengths, calculate the length of a single wavelength.

Okay, let me make sure I did this right:

(2 m)/(2.5 m) = .8 m

Is that right? So 80 cm is my final answer then if that is correct.

Thats my best guess as well.

Okay, thank you. Another one down! 2 to go! :biggrin:

Related to Find Wavelength of Standing Wave in 200 cm String: Get Help Now

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a wave that appears to be stationary because it is formed by two waves of the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions. This wave pattern does not move or propagate through space, but rather oscillates in place.

2. How do you find the wavelength of a standing wave?

To find the wavelength of a standing wave, you need to measure the distance between two consecutive nodes (points of no displacement) or two consecutive antinodes (points of maximum displacement). This distance is equal to half of the wavelength of the standing wave.

3. Why is the standing wave's wavelength important to know?

The wavelength of a standing wave is important because it is directly related to the frequency and speed of the wave. It also determines the energy and properties of the wave, such as nodes and antinodes, and can be used to calculate the tension and mass density of the medium in which the wave is propagating.

4. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of a standing wave?

The formula for calculating the wavelength of a standing wave is λ = 2L/n, where λ is the wavelength, L is the length of the string, and n is the number of nodes or antinodes present in the standing wave.

5. Can you use this formula for finding the wavelength of a standing wave in any medium?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the wavelength of a standing wave in a string or similar linear medium. For other mediums, such as air or water, the formula may differ depending on the properties of the medium and the type of standing wave being produced.