Sending a sound wave of 1cm wavelength through a 0.1Pascal medium

In summary, the conversation is discussing the estimation of the radius of ##O_{2}## and the behavior of molecules in a standing sound wave. The first part of the question involves calculating the pressure using a formula and the second part involves understanding the behavior of molecules in a standing wave. The person is unsure about the second part and is seeking clarification and insights.
PhysicsKush
Homework Statement
At what pressure (at room temperature) would the mean free path of air molecules reach a macroscopic scale like ##10## cm ? Explain (qualitatively) what would happen if we tried to propagate a sound wave of wavelength ##1## cm in these conditions.
Relevant Equations
$$ l \approx \frac{1}{4 \pi r^{2}}\frac{kT}{p}, $$
I answered the first part of the question where I estimate the radius of ##O_{2}## is ##\approx 1.5 \times 10^{-10} \ \text{m}##:
$$ p = \frac{KT}{l 4 \pi r^{2}} = \frac{(20+273.15)(1.38\times 10^{-23})}{(0.1)(4\pi)(1.5 \times 10^{-10})^{2}} = 0.143 \ \text{Pa}.$$

The confusion arises on the second part of the question. Intuitively I'm thinking that a wave sent through a medium compresses and decompresses periodically the molecules it goes through. If the wavelength is ##1##cm and the mean free path is ##10##cm , then I believe the mean free path will increase by a factor of ##10##? I'm not sure what to think of this problem. Any insights would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a standing wave. Between two nodes, the molecules are bouncing back and forth. What are they bouncing off?

haruspex said:
Consider a standing wave. Between two nodes, the molecules are bouncing back and forth. What are they bouncing off?
Sorry , I am not sure to understand the setup. Are they just bouncing off the nodes?

Mihail Anghelici said:
Sorry , I am not sure to understand the setup. Are they just bouncing off the nodes?
In a standing sound wave, what is happening at a node in terms of pressure variation and displacement?

What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water, and consists of compressions and rarefactions of the particles in the medium. It is created by vibrations of an object, which cause the particles in the medium to vibrate and transfer the energy of the sound wave.

What is the wavelength of a sound wave?

The wavelength of a sound wave is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that have the same phase, such as two consecutive compressions or two consecutive rarefactions. It is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

What is the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave is the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is inversely proportional to the wavelength. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases.

What is a medium?

A medium is the substance or material through which a sound wave travels. It can be a solid, liquid, or gas, and its properties, such as density and temperature, can affect the speed and behavior of the sound wave.

How does the amplitude of a sound wave affect its intensity?

The amplitude of a sound wave refers to the maximum displacement of the particles in the medium from their equilibrium position. The greater the amplitude, the more energy the sound wave carries and the greater its intensity. This means that a sound wave with a larger amplitude will be perceived as louder than one with a smaller amplitude.