Finding a Basis for Im(T): Elementary Linear Algebra

In summary, George explains that the basis for Im(T) is the two vectors that are linearly independent and that you multiplied the wrong matrix.
Benny
Hi, I'm having trouble with some questions. I did elementary linear algebra a few months ago but seeing as I've forgotten most of it I'm effectively new to this. Anyway can someone help find a basis for Im(T) the following transformation?

[tex]T:R^4 \to R^3 ,T\left( x \right) = Ax[/tex] where [tex]A = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 & 2 & { - 1} & 1 \\
1 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\
2 & { - 4} & 6 & 2 \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex]

I tried applying T to each of the four vectors in the standard basis for R^4 and apply T to each in turn I got: (1,1,2), (2,0,-4), (-1,1,-4), (1,1,2). The basis for Im(T) is supposed to be {(1,1,2),(2,0,-4)} so I've done something wrong since my work shows that my answer should also have (-1,1,-4) in the basis.

Can someone explain what is required to find a basis for Im(T)?

Edit: I re-checked my textbook. Im(T) is just the column space of A isn't it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you did the multiplication correctly - I get (-1,1,6), not (-1,1,-4).

Show: 1) (1,1,2), (2,0,-4) are linearly independent; 2) (-1,1,6) is a linear combination of (1,1,2) and (2,0,-4).

Regards,
George

And it's not so much "multiplication" as it is just copying the columns correctly!

Thanks for the help guys. The vectors I obtained was from taking each vector from the standard basis for R^4 and applying the transformation to each of those vectors. I found that I could ge tthe correct answer by taking the columns, reducing and then taking the relevant columns. This isn't the same method that I used to get my original answer(which had 3 vectors in it).

They are the same method! George Jones' point was that you multiplied wrong: Your matrix times the basis vector (0, 0, 1, 0) is (-1, 1, 6), not (-1, 1, -4) as you give. My point was that since you are just multiplying by 1 and 0, The result of multiplying each basis vector by the matrix is just the corresponding column. Since (0, 0, 1, 0) has the one in the third place, multiplying it by this matrix is just the third column of the matrix, (-1, 1, 6).

You know that those 4 vectors can't all be independent since this is only 3 dimensional space. It turns out that only two are- the image is a two dimensional subspace of R3. Another way to find a basis, since, as you say, the image is just the "column space", is to take the transpose of the matrix and "row reduce" it.

(Taking the transpose and row reducing is simpler for most people than "column reducing"!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...I'll have to check that(the method not the calculation since I've just spotted my error). I'm more used to using the method of taking the matrix A, reducing and then taking the columns which correspond to the pivots.

Last edited:

Related to Finding a Basis for Im(T): Elementary Linear Algebra

1. What is a basis for Im(T)?

A basis for Im(T) is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the image, or output, of a linear transformation T. This means that any vector in the image can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for Im(T)?

To find a basis for Im(T), you can use the following steps:
1. Apply the linear transformation T to a set of vectors, such as the standard basis vectors.
2. Determine which of these transformed vectors are linearly independent.
3. Choose the linearly independent vectors as the basis for Im(T).

3. Can a basis for Im(T) have more than one set of vectors?

No, a basis for Im(T) must be a set of linearly independent vectors. This means that there cannot be more than one set of vectors that can span the image of a linear transformation T.

4. What happens if a linear transformation T has a zero image?

If a linear transformation T has a zero image, then the basis for Im(T) will be the empty set since there are no vectors in the image. This means that the image of T is the zero vector, and there is no way to span it with any set of vectors.

5. Is the basis for Im(T) unique?

No, there can be multiple bases for Im(T) as long as they are all sets of linearly independent vectors that span the image of a linear transformation T. However, the number of vectors in each basis will be the same, which is known as the dimension of the image.