Finding a constant from eigenfunction

In summary: Or should I just let it go?You can use \beta to verify your solution. If you plug in the values you found for b and E, \beta should come out to be equal to 0. If it is not, then you know you made a mistake somewhere in your calculations.
terp.asessed

Homework Statement

Since Hamiltonian operator is:

Ĥ = - (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2 - A/r
where r = (x2+y2+z2)
(delta)2 = ∂2/∂x2 + ∂2/∂y2 + ∂2/∂z2
A = a constant

from Ĥg(r) = Eg(r) form, where:

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

with b, D as constants, is an EIGENFUNCTION of Ĥ, find the correct b and give the eigenvalue E.

Homework Equations

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

where r = (x2+y2+z2)
D = a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)
g'(r) = -De-r/b/b - De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
= -2De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
g''(r) = 3De-r/b/b2 - Dre-r/b/b3

[delta_g(r)]2 = 5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)

Ĥg(r) = Eg(r)
- (ħ2/(2m))(5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)) - A/r * (D e-r/b(1-r/b)) = E*D e-r/b (1-r/b)
..which is then reduced to:

-5ħ2/(2mb2) + ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r + A/b = E (1-r/b)...I managed to cancel out constant D and e-r/b, but I am at loss how how to eliminate r?

Should I equivelate:
ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r = -E(r/b) ? I tried this way, and still haven't managed to find a way to cancel out r...to make b an independent number...
With regard to E, if I am not wrong, I think Energy is that of an excited state, NOT ground state, except I haven't figured it out (for I have not gotten b constant), and have no idea which energy level it is...

Any hints or notices to my mistakes would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
terp.asessed said:

Homework Statement

Since Hamiltonian operator is:

where r = (x2+y2+z2)
A = a constant

from Ĥg(r) = Eg(r) form, where:

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

with b, D as constants, is an EIGENFUNCTION of Ĥ, find the correct b and give the eigenvalue E.

Homework Equations

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

where r = (x2+y2+z2)
D = a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)
g'(r) = -De-r/b/b - De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
= -2De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
g''(r) = 3De-r/b/b2 - Dre-r/b/b3

[delta_g(r)]2 = 5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)

Ĥg(r) = Eg(r)
- (ħ2/(2m))(5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)) - A/r * (D e-r/b(1-r/b)) = E*D e-r/b (1-r/b)
..which is then reduced to:

-5ħ2/(2mb2) + ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r + A/b = E (1-r/b)...I managed to cancel out constant D and e-r/b, but I am at loss how how to eliminate r?

Should I equivelate:
ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r = -E(r/b) ? I tried this way, and still haven't managed to find a way to cancel out r...to make b an independent number...
With regard to E, if I am not wrong, I think Energy is that of an excited state, NOT ground state, except I haven't figured it out (for I have not gotten b constant), and have no idea which energy level it is...

Any hints or notices to my mistakes would be appreciated!

[itex]\hat{H} g(r) = E g(r)[/itex]

gives you an equation of the form:

[itex]\frac{\alpha}{r} + \beta + \gamma r = 0[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are combinations of your constants: [itex]A, b, E[/itex].

That equation can only be true for all values of [itex]r[/itex] if each coefficient is equal to zero, separately. So it must be that
[itex]\alpha = 0[/itex]
[itex]\beta = 0[/itex]
[itex]\gamma = 0[/itex]

So if you figure out what [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are in terms of your constants, you can get three equations for your two unknowns: [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. That's too many, but it will turn out that the equations are redundant--the third one is a linear combination of the other two. So you can solve for [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

[itex]D[/itex] cancels out, so you can't solve for it using the Schrodinger equation, but instead you have to choose [itex]D[/itex] so that the integral of [itex]|g(r)|^2[/itex] over all space is equal to 1.

Likes terp.asessed
Thank you for your reply! Btw, could you please clarify:

stevendaryl said:
the third one is a linear combination of the other two..

because, according to what you've said:

α = 4ħ2/(2mb) - A = 0 --> b = 2ħ2/(Am)
β = -5ħ2/(2mb2) + A/b = 0
γ = ħ2/(2mb3) + E/b = 0

...but I couldn't derive b from β and γ...does it mean I solved everything from the beginning wrong?

And

stevendaryl said:
[itex]D[/itex] cancels out, so you can't solve for it using the Schrodinger equation, but instead you have to choose [itex]D[/itex] so that the integral of [itex]|g(r)|^2[/itex] over all space is equal to 1.

For the last one, do you mean I need to normalize?

Last edited by a moderator:
terp.asessed said:
Thank you for your reply! Btw, could you pls clarify:
because, according to what you've said:

α = 4ħ2/(2mb) - A = 0 --> b = 2ħ2/(Am)
β = -5ħ2/(2mb2) + A/b = 0
γ = ħ2/(2mb3) + E/b = 0

...but I couldn't derive b from β and γ...does it mean I solved everything from the beginning wrong?
On the right-hand side of Schrodinger's equation for this case, you have
[itex]E g(r) = E D e^{-r/b} - (E D r/b) e^{-r/b}[/itex]

So the equation for [itex]\beta[/itex] should have [itex]E[/itex] on the right-hand side of the equals.

But you can certainly solve for [itex]E[/itex] using the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex]. You already know [itex]b[/itex] from your equation for [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Plug that into the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex]

For the last one, do you mean I need to normalize?

Yes. [itex]D[/itex] is a normalization constant.

Last edited:
Likes terp.asessed
Thank you--I guess I figured out b and E, but may I ask what I should do with β? Can I use it to check b and E I found out?

terp.asessed said:
Thank you--I guess I figured out b and E, but may I ask what I should do with β? Can I use it to check b and E I found out?

When I looked at it, it seemed that the equation for [itex]\beta[/itex] gave the same information as the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex].

What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a mathematical function that, when multiplied by a constant, is equal to itself. This constant is called the eigenvalue, and it is a characteristic of the function.

Why is it important to find a constant from an eigenfunction?

Finding a constant from an eigenfunction allows us to solve for the eigenvalue, which is a crucial step in solving many mathematical problems, particularly in the field of linear algebra.

What is the process for finding a constant from an eigenfunction?

The process for finding a constant from an eigenfunction involves solving the eigenvalue equation, which is a mathematical equation that equates the eigenfunction to the constant times itself. This often involves using techniques such as substitution or solving a system of equations.

What are some real-world applications of finding a constant from an eigenfunction?

Finding a constant from an eigenfunction is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to solve problems involving vibrations, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics, among others.

Are there any limitations to finding a constant from an eigenfunction?

While finding a constant from an eigenfunction is a powerful tool, it is not always possible to do so for every function. Some functions may not have an eigenvalue, or the process for finding it may be too complex to solve. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may be limited by the precision of the calculations involved.