Finding a Drum for Motor Shaft to Lift 5kg Box

In summary, the person is looking for a way to use a gearbox motor as a winch to lift a 5kg box. They need to find a suitable drum to mount on the motor shaft for the string to wrap around, and they are considering using a fishing reel for this. The motor specifications are 12v DC and 15 kg.cm. The person is also concerned about the stress on the drum and the number of turns that can be wound onto it. They plan to use the motor to wrap the line around a fishing reel and then use a pulley to lift the box.
TechTree
Hello, I'm trying to use this gearbox motor as a winch to lift up a small box (5kg), however it needs to have some sort of drum that's mounted to the motor shaft to wrap the string around. Although I'm unable to find anything suitable that I could use. Is there already something that exists that could work for this, if so how would I go about attaching it to the motor shaft? Here are a few images of the motor:

51sAMEx3wLL._SL1001_.jpg

51QAVdDgx2L._SL1001_.jpg

(Motor Specifications: 12v DC 15 kg.cm)
Any suggestions?

Thanks. :wink:

Attachments

• 51sAMEx3wLL._SL1001_.jpg
    51sAMEx3wLL._SL1001_.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 51QAVdDgx2L._SL1001_.jpg
    51QAVdDgx2L._SL1001_.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 947
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe something like this?
upload_2018-9-25_19-55-58.png

From McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). You would need to get one for a 3/16" shaft and drill it out to 5.5 mm. Substitute a socket head cap screw for one of the setscrews, then tie the string to it. McMaster-Carr is a good place to browse around looking for ideas.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-25_19-55-58.png
    upload_2018-9-25_19-55-58.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 875
Likes TechTree
Thanks for your reply!
jrmichler said:
Substitute a socket head cap screw for one of the setscrews, then tie the string to it.
I'm just slightly confused, which part of the pulley the string should be attached to? If it's connected to one of the screws how will it warp around the pulley?
Timer_Pulley.jpg

Thanks. :wink:

Attachments

• Timer_Pulley.jpg
    Timer_Pulley.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 767
TechTree said:
Thanks for your reply!

I'm just slightly confused, which part of the pulley the string should be attached to? If it's connected to one of the screws how will it warp around the pulley?

Sometimes the shaft is slotted, so you can stick the end of the string in the slot. Otherwise, I would tie it around the drum with a constrictor knot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrictor_knot

Likes TechTree
TechTree said:
it needs to have some sort of drum that's mounted to the motor shaft to wrap the string around.
When wrapping string or cable around a drum, it can be important to have a guide mechanism that moves back and forth to ensure that the wraps are even (to get the most string or cable on the drum that can fit). Without a moving guide, the wraps can become a mess and even bind.

Maybe look at the different kinds of fishing reels to see if you can adapt one of them for what you want to do. You can find relatively inexpensive ones and even used ones. They generally will have a moving guide mechanism, since the fishing line needs to be reeled up neatly time after time without extra effort by the person doing the fishing:

http://www.reeladventurefishing.com/8-types-fishing-reels-most-commonly-used/

0F5KAI9I&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=reelad03-20.jpg

Attachments

• 0F5KAI9I&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=reelad03-20.jpg
    0F5KAI9I&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=reelad03-20.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 715
Likes Lynda Jhon, TechTree and CWatters
TechTree said:
(Motor Specifications: 12v DC 15 kg.cm)

Is that the stall torque after the gearbox? If so the drum will need to be Les than 3cm radius.

berkeman said:
Maybe look at the different kinds of fishing reels to see if you can adapt one of them for what you want to do.
A fishing reel! That's a great idea berkeman thank you for your suggestion! :wink: I'm sure I can adapt one to work for my project.

Likes Lynda Jhon and berkeman
When you wind a filament onto a winch drum, the filament is wound on with a tension due to the supported load. 5Kg might seem to be very little tension, but call it a force of 5 * 9.8 = 50 Newton. Now wind on 100 turns and you have a combined circumferential hoop stress of 100 * 50 N = 5 kN. That may be sufficient to crush the drum. The wall of the drum is in compression and must be sufficiently thick to oppose that winding stress without collapse.
How many turns of filament can you wind onto your drum?

Are you going to use the gearbox motor for fishing reels?

Lynda Jhon said:
Are you going to use the gearbox motor for fishing reels?
Yes, I'm going to try and use the gearbox motor to wrap the line around a fishing reel. Then use a pulley to lift the box. :wink:

Likes Janosh89

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of drum for my motor shaft?

To determine the appropriate size of drum for your motor shaft, you will need to consider the weight of the box you are trying to lift, the diameter and length of your motor shaft, and the amount of torque your motor can produce. You may also need to take into account the speed at which you want the box to be lifted. Consulting with a mechanical engineer or using online calculators can help you determine the appropriate size of drum for your specific needs.

2. What material should the drum be made of?

The material of the drum will depend on the specific application and environment. Some commonly used materials for drums include steel, aluminum, and plastic. Steel is the most durable but also the heaviest and most expensive option. Aluminum is a lighter and cheaper alternative but may not be as strong as steel. Plastic drums are lightweight and cost-effective but may not be suitable for heavy-duty use. Consider the weight and size of the box, as well as any potential hazards in the environment when choosing the material for your drum.

3. Can I use any type of drum for my motor shaft?

No, not all drums are suitable for use on a motor shaft. The drum must be able to securely attach to the motor shaft and be able to withstand the torque and weight of the box being lifted. It is important to choose a drum specifically designed for use on a motor shaft, rather than repurposing a drum from a different application.

4. How do I attach the drum to my motor shaft?

The method of attaching the drum to the motor shaft will depend on the specific design of your motor and drum. Some drums may have a keyway or set screws that can secure it to the motor shaft. Others may require a coupling or adapter to connect the two. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for attaching the drum to your motor shaft to ensure a secure and safe connection.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a drum on a motor shaft?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a drum on a motor shaft. First, make sure the drum is securely attached to the motor shaft and can withstand the weight and torque of the box being lifted. It is also important to regularly inspect the drum and motor for any signs of wear or damage. Additionally, always follow proper lifting techniques and make sure the area is clear of any obstructions before operating the motor and drum. If using the drum in an industrial setting, be sure to follow all safety protocols and regulations.