Finding a light source that produces an absorption spectrum?

In summary, the conversation is about an observational exercise where the speaker needs to find light sources and observe their spectra through a diffraction grating. They mention needing two sources of each type (continuous, emission, absorption) and are struggling to find a way to observe an absorption spectrum. A suggestion is made to use a coloured liquid or filter in front of a simple tungsten lamp. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestion and mentions feeling silly for not thinking of it earlier.
Persimmon
This is an observational exercise where I have to find several different light sources and observe their spectra through a diffraction grating, then record my observations. I need two sources of each (i.e. continuous, emission, absorption).

Continuous and emission are fairly easy, but for the life of me I can't think what I could observe that would produce an absorption spectrum. I know that absorption spectra come about when there is an absorbing material like cool gas in front of a black body but I don't really know how I could find something like that. I thought maybe if I looked at a light source from far away in cold weather that might do it, but I still didn't see an absorption spectrum. Any help or hints would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sun itself produces absorption spectrum of its outer atmosphere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines.

You can make a "light source" showing absorption spectrum by placing a coloured liquid (solution of some dye, or solution of KMnO4...) in front of a simple tungsten lamp.

ehild

Brilliant, thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I feel a bit stupid now.

Or it can be a colour filter glass or a simple coloured glass in front of the tungsten lamp... :smile:

ehild

Thank you for reaching out about your observational exercise. It is great that you have a good understanding of continuous and emission spectra. Let me provide some guidance on how you can observe an absorption spectrum.

Firstly, let's define what an absorption spectrum is. It is a spectrum of electromagnetic radiation transmitted through a substance, showing dark lines or bands due to absorption of specific wavelengths. This means that the light source you are observing needs to have a substance in front of it that is capable of absorbing certain wavelengths of light.

One way to find an absorption spectrum is to use a gas discharge tube. These tubes contain a specific gas at a low pressure and can emit light when an electric current is passed through them. When you observe the spectrum of this light through a diffraction grating, you will see dark lines or bands where the gas has absorbed specific wavelengths. This is because the gas atoms have absorbed the energy of those wavelengths and re-emitted them in different directions, resulting in a dark line in the spectrum.

Another way to observe an absorption spectrum is by using a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the amount of light absorbed by a substance at different wavelengths. You can use different substances, such as colored liquids or solutions, and observe their absorption spectra using the spectrophotometer.

I hope these suggestions help you find a light source that produces an absorption spectrum. Remember to always be curious and open to trying new methods in your scientific experiments. Best of luck!

1. What is an absorption spectrum?

An absorption spectrum is a graphical representation of the wavelengths of light absorbed by a substance. It is unique to each substance and can be used to identify the substance and its chemical composition.

2. What determines the absorption spectrum of a substance?

The absorption spectrum of a substance is determined by its molecular structure. Different molecules will absorb different wavelengths of light, resulting in a unique absorption spectrum.

3. How do scientists find a light source that produces an absorption spectrum?

Scientists use a spectrometer to measure the absorption spectrum of a substance. The spectrometer emits light at different wavelengths and measures the amount of light that is absorbed by the substance. By analyzing the absorption spectrum, scientists can determine the wavelengths of light that are absorbed and therefore the molecular structure of the substance.

4. Why is finding a light source that produces an absorption spectrum important?

Identifying the absorption spectrum of a substance is important for various scientific fields, including chemistry, biology, and astronomy. It allows scientists to identify and analyze the chemical composition of substances, including elements, compounds, and molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to using absorption spectra?

While absorption spectra are a powerful tool for identifying substances, there are some limitations. For example, the substance being analyzed must be in a gaseous state, and the spectrometer must be able to detect the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed. Additionally, overlapping absorption bands can make it difficult to accurately determine the exact composition of a substance.