Investigation about the emission spectrum of Mercury

In summary, during an investigation using a diffraction grating spectrometer to observe the emission spectrum of mercury, faint lines were observed surrounding the brightest emission lines. These lines are likely caused by sidelobes in the diffraction grating, which are equivalent to sidelobes in a uniformly illuminated antenna array. However, without experimentation, it is difficult to determine if these lines are secondary maxima or part of the primary maximum. It is also worth noting that mercury has many other emission lines besides the prominent ones, which can also contribute to the observed faint lines.
Zibi04

Homework Statement

For our investigation, we used a diffraction grating spectrometer to observe the emission spectrum of mercury.
We conducted the experiment in a pitch black room to avoid any unwanted light pollution, etc.
Whilst conducting the experiment we observed a number of 'faint' lines surrounding each of the brightest emission lines. For example, several faint blue spectral lines were observed surrounding the blue spectral line with the greatest luminosity. You can see these here: http://imgur.com/a/6KsOh

I was wondering if what we observed was perfectly normally, and if there is a name for it as well as a good explanation to include in my report.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have noticed that what we observed are somewhat similar to the following image of the Mercury emission spectra: https://i.stack.imgur.com/onjhd.png
There appears to be some sort of light with a lower luminosity in-between each of the bright spectral lines, especially the red. However, I don't know the meaning of this.
My Physics teacher is ill and has been on leave, and I have been unable to make contact with him. I asked the other physics teacher at my school and he was unable to explain our observations.

Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that a diffraction grating is equivalent to a uniformly illuminated antenna array.
Such an array has a succession of sidelobes each side of the main beam and these gradually get less as we move off axis. The Wiki reference below gives sidelobe levels as -13dB (intensity 0.05) for the first and-17dB (intensity 0.02) for the second.
I should mention that although this is the principle of the effect, for the optical case we are working very close to the array, in the Fresnel Region, so that these numbers will not necessarily be correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_lobe

Likes Zibi04
tech99 said:
My understanding is that a diffraction grating is equivalent to a uniformly illuminated antenna array.
Such an array has a succession of sidelobes each side of the main beam and these gradually get less as we move off axis. The Wiki reference below gives sidelobe levels as -13dB (intensity 0.05) for the first and-17dB (intensity 0.02) for the second.
I should mention that although this is the principle of the effect, for the optical case we are working very close to the array, in the Fresnel Region, so that these numbers will not necessarily be correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_lobe

Thanks for the reply :) This seems to support what we observed in the investigation. I just wanted to clarify whether these side lobes are what can be seen circled in the following image: http://imgur.com/a/BzJWL ?

Zibi04 said:
Thanks for the reply :) This seems to support what we observed in the investigation. I just wanted to clarify whether these side lobes are what can be seen circled in the following image: http://imgur.com/a/BzJWL ?
My picture here is not very sharp and I cannot see the lines in a group of three (or five etc) as I was expecting.

Likes Zibi04
It's difficult to assess without additional experimentation. If you used a lens to focus onto the entrance slit to illuminate much of the diffraction grating (giving the beam a healthy f #), or even illuminate more than a very small region on the diffraction grating, there are enough lines on the grating that you would not get secondary maxima that far away from the spectral line that are that prominent. ## \\ ## If you have no ghost reflections occurring in your spectrometer (e.g. reflections off of a detector window that cycle through again), my guess is that these are additional and much dimmer lines in the Hg spectrum that you are also observing. ## \\ ## Note: If the diffraction grating is used in the proper manner as a many-lined grating, where you use at least approximately100 lines on the grating (the beam incident on the grating should be at least 1/4" across approximately), any significant secondary maxima will be so close to the primary maximum that they basically become part of the primary maximum. ## \\ ## Editing...I don't have a copy handy of a Handbook of Spectroscopy, but as I recall, mercury does have quite a number of other emission lines besides the very prominent ones. (That normally is the case with these larger atoms=e.g. the emission spectrum of iron consists of many many lines.) Also, an additional bit of googling showed a couple of spectral images that were taken that show this is the case.

Last edited:
Likes Zibi04, TSny and SammyS

1. What is the emission spectrum of Mercury?

The emission spectrum of Mercury is the range of wavelengths of light that are emitted by the element when it is excited by heat or electricity. It is unique to Mercury, and is made up of distinct lines of different colors.

2. How is the emission spectrum of Mercury used in scientific research?

The emission spectrum of Mercury is used by scientists to identify the element in various substances, such as in stars or in laboratory experiments. It can also provide information about the temperature and composition of a substance.

3. What causes the emission spectrum of Mercury?

The emission spectrum of Mercury is caused by the movement of electrons within the element's atoms. When the electrons are excited, they jump to higher energy levels and then release energy in the form of photons, creating the distinct lines of the spectrum.

4. How is the emission spectrum of Mercury different from other elements?

Each element has its own unique emission spectrum, and the spectrum of Mercury is different from other elements due to its unique electron configuration and energy levels. This allows scientists to differentiate Mercury from other elements based on its emission spectrum.

5. Can the emission spectrum of Mercury be used for practical applications?

Yes, the emission spectrum of Mercury has practical applications in areas such as lighting and fluorescent lamps. The distinct lines of the spectrum can be used to create specific colors of light, making it useful in various industries and everyday life.