Finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping

In summary, the problem involves finding a matrix representing the mapping L(A) = A^t, using the standard basis [1, 1, 1, 1]. The resulting matrix is a 4x4 matrix with the first column as [1, 0, 0, 0], second column as [0, 0, 1, 0], third column as [0, 1, 0, 0], and fourth column as [0, 0, 0, 1]. However, there is a question about whether [1, 1, 1, 1] is a basis or if {<1, 0, 0, 0>, <0
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let L be a mapping such that L(A) = A^t, the transpose mapping. Find a matrix representing L with respect to the standard basis [1,1,1,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So should I end up getting a 4x4 matrix here? I got 1,0,0,0 for the first column, 0,0,1,0 for the second column, 0,1,0,0 for the third column and 0,0,0,1 for the fourth column. is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let L be a mapping such that L(A) = A^t, the transpose mapping. Find a matrix representing L with respect to the standard basis [1,1,1,1]
How is [1, 1, 1, 1] a basis?
I think you mean {<1, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 1, 0>, <0, 0, 0, 1>}.
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So should I end up getting a 4x4 matrix here? I got 1,0,0,0 for the first column, 0,0,1,0 for the second column, 0,1,0,0 for the third column and 0,0,0,1 for the fourth column. is this correct?
This works, if it's legitimate to work with vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^4## instead of 2 x 2 matrices. Of course ##\mathbb{M}_{2 x 2}## is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^4##. Based on what I think the problem statement is supposed to mean, your solution looks fine.

1. How do you find a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping?

To find a matrix that represents a 2x2 transpose mapping, you need to first understand the concept of transpose mapping. This type of mapping is when the columns and rows of a matrix are switched or "flipped" in position. To find the matrix, you can use the formula [A]^T = [a b; c d]^T = [a c; b d], where [a b; c d] is the original matrix. Simply switch the positions of the elements in the matrix and the resulting matrix will be the transpose mapping.

2. What is the purpose of finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping?

The purpose of finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping is to be able to easily manipulate and perform operations on the matrix. Matrix representation allows for efficient calculations and transformations, making it a useful tool in various areas of mathematics and science.

3. Can any 2x2 matrix be represented by a transpose mapping?

Yes, any 2x2 matrix can be represented by a transpose mapping. This is because the transpose mapping is simply flipping the columns and rows of a matrix, which can be applied to any type of matrix. However, the resulting matrix may not always be a valid representation of the original matrix, as some operations may change the values of the elements.

4. How does finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping relate to linear algebra?

Finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping is an important concept in linear algebra. It is used to perform various operations on matrices, such as finding inverses, solving systems of equations, and performing transformations. In linear algebra, matrices are used to represent and solve various mathematical problems, and transpose mapping is just one of the many tools used in this field.

5. Are there any limitations to finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping?

One limitation to finding a matrix to represent a 2x2 transpose mapping is that it can only be applied to 2x2 matrices. Larger matrices may require more complex methods for finding their transpose mappings. Additionally, the transpose mapping does not always preserve certain properties of the original matrix, such as determinants and eigenvalues. It is important to consider these limitations when using transpose mapping in calculations or applications.