Finding academic expertise in specific areas

In summary, the conversation is about finding theoretical physics labs with high level expertise in specific areas. The person is asking if there is an online database or ranking system for these labs, rather than by country. They also mention looking for Highly Cited Researchers in theoretical physics and their interest in theoretical high energy physics, cosmology, and mathematical physics. The other person suggests looking at journals, authors, and universities to get an idea of leading schools. The conversation ends with the person saying they currently use ArXiv and ResearchGate for articles and the other person suggesting to post specific papers they are interested in to get help finding relevant universities.
The Moon Gauge
I wonder how to find theoretical physics labs which have high level expertise in specific areas. Is there an online DB or "ranking" by area rather than by country?
Also looking for HCR in TP.
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Moon Gauge said:
Is there an online DB or "ranking"?

So, what part of India are you from? :wink:

(If you need it explained, there is an over-emphasis on rankings from many members, especially new members, from India.)

There is no such field as "TP". Theoretical condensed matter is not the same as theoretical nuclear physics, which is not the same as theoretical high energy physics, which is not the same as theoretical cosmology, etc. If you don't know (or don't tell us) what you are interested in studying, how can we tell you which schools are good at it?

The Moon Gauge said:
Also looking for HCR in TP.

HCR? High Contrast Ratio? Hazard Communication Rule? High Commissioner for Refugees?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
* So, what part of India are you from?

I am not Indian :)

* There is no such field as "TP". Theoretical condensed matter is not the same as theoretical nuclear physics, which is not the same as theoretical high energy physics, which is not the same as theoretical cosmology, etc. If you don't know (or don't tell us) what you are interested in studying, how can we tell you which schools are good at it?

I am aware that TP is a vague category but I did not really expect to be given schools or TP labs. Rather, I was looking for a website/DB/register where I can find those information and do the research by entering the fields/sub-fields myself. It is more theoretical high energy physics, theoretical cosmology & mathematical physics related.

* HCR? High Contrast Ratio? Hazard Communication Rule? High Commissioner for Refugees?

Given the context of this forum section, HCR => Highly Cited Researchers.

Cheers!

The Moon Gauge said:
* So, what part of India are you from?

I am not Indian :)

* There is no such field as "TP". Theoretical condensed matter is not the same as theoretical nuclear physics, which is not the same as theoretical high energy physics, which is not the same as theoretical cosmology, etc. If you don't know (or don't tell us) what you are interested in studying, how can we tell you which schools are good at it?

I am aware that TP is a vague category but I did not really expect to be given schools or TP labs. Rather, I was looking for a website/DB/register where I can find those information and do the research by entering the fields/sub-fields myself. It is more theoretical high energy physics, theoretical cosmology & mathematical physics related.

* HCR? High Contrast Ratio? Hazard Communication Rule? High Commissioner for Refugees?

Given the context of this forum section, HCR => Highly Cited Researchers.

Cheers!
(Please use the Reply/Quote feature of PF when quoting other members. Click the "Reply" link in the lower right to quote a whole post, or click-drag your mouse over the text you want to quote, and select "Reply" from the pop-up menu. Thanks)

What journals do you read over now in the areas of your interest? Look at the authors and cited papers, and search to find out what universities they are from. That will start to give you an idea of some of the leading universities in the areas of your interest.

Likes Vanadium 50
The Moon Gauge said:
HCR => Highly Cited Researchers
"HCR" is not a well-known acronym, nor is, as has been explained, TP. Please minimize the use of such acronyms if you want to get good responses.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
berkeman said:
(Please use the Reply/Quote feature of PF when quoting other members. Click the "Reply" link in the lower right to quote a whole post, or click-drag your mouse over the text you want to quote, and select "Reply" from the pop-up menu. Thanks)

What journals do you read over now in the areas of your interest? Look at the authors and cited papers, and search to find out what universities they are from. That will start to give you an idea of some of the leading universities in the areas of your interest.

Thanks for this advice. At the moment only ArXiv and ResearchGate are my source of articles.

Mark44 said:
"HCR" is not a well-known acronym, nor is, as has been explained, TP. Please minimize the use of such acronyms if you want to get good responses.

Ok
TP => Theoretical Physics

The Moon Gauge said:
Thanks for this advice. At the moment only ArXiv and ResearchGate are my source of articles.

Those still tell you who wrote the papers. What universities are your favorite ones coming out of? That will be a pretty good guide. You could also just post a couple here and say hey I want to do research like this and I bet someone will know how to help you.

Likes Vanadium 50
Office_Shredder said:
Those still tell you who wrote the papers. What universities are your favorite ones coming out of? That will be a pretty good guide. You could also just post a couple here and say hey I want to do research like this and I bet someone will know how to help you.

Thanks. At the moment my mind is thinking about MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Cornell... Basically all the big ones. It is true that they all have very prestigious theoretical physics departments but as I learned in this forum, I need to focus mainly on the international academic expertise for my fields of interest first and foremost.

On a more realistic note, at this point I am not ready to move on to the other side of the atlantic (I am from Europe). Therefore, I am looking for theoretical physics labs/unis in Europe which have nothing to envy to those US uni I previously gave. I am aware Germany followed by UK are in a very good position and will do further research in those countries. There's Netherlands as well.

But hey if someone from MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Cornell is here reading my message and willing to provide info or opportunities of (online) research collaborations as a research assistant/graduate researcher or even PhD I am totally ok
Let's go for it :)

Cheers

1. What is the best way to find academic experts in a specific field?

The best way to find academic experts in a specific field is to utilize online databases and search engines. These resources allow you to search for experts based on keywords, research interests, and affiliations. You can also reach out to professional organizations and academic institutions for recommendations.

2. How do I know if an academic expert is credible?

To determine the credibility of an academic expert, you should consider their qualifications, publications, and affiliations. Look for experts with advanced degrees, a strong publication record in reputable journals, and affiliations with respected institutions or organizations in their field.

3. Can I contact an academic expert directly for assistance?

Yes, you can contact an academic expert directly for assistance. Many experts are open to collaborating on research projects or providing guidance and advice to students and other researchers. However, it is important to be respectful of their time and expertise and to clearly state your purpose for contacting them.

4. How can I find an academic expert who specializes in a specific research methodology?

To find an academic expert who specializes in a specific research methodology, you can search for keywords related to the methodology in online databases and search engines. You can also reach out to professional organizations and academic institutions that focus on that particular methodology.

5. Are there any resources that provide a list of academic experts in different fields?

Yes, there are resources that provide lists of academic experts in different fields. Some examples include academic directories, such as the American Association of University Professors' Faculty Salary Survey, and online databases, such as the Academic Experts Database from Clarivate Analytics. These resources can help you narrow down your search for experts in a specific field.