Finding Acceleration of a Ball in Constant Motion

In summary, a ball starting from rest and accelerating at a constant rate covers a distance of 10 metres during its third second of motion. Using the formula s = ut +1/2*a*t^2, with s representing displacement, u representing initial velocity, a representing acceleration, and t representing time, it can be determined that the acceleration of the ball is 4m/s/s.
ride4life

Homework Statement

A ball initially at rest and constantly accelerating covers a distance of 10 metres during its third second of motion. What is its acceleration?

Homework Equations

No idea which equations I need. I'm guessing I need
a = (v-u)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got no idea how to even apporach this. I'm thinking:
s = 3 s
u = 0 m/s
v =
a =
t =

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ride4life! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: call the acceleration a, and find the distances after 2 seconds and after 3 seconds, and find the value of a that makes their difference equal 10 metres :wink:

What formula should I use to figure the distanes covered in each second?

0 - 1 = ?
1 - 2 = ?
2 - 3 = 10m = 10m/s/s

I was thinking in the 1st second it traveled 2.5m and in the 2nd second it traveled 5m. I think that turns out to be 2.5m/s/s. That's just a guess. That's all I can figure out. :(

You can use, displacement s = ut +1/2*a*t^2.
Find s for 2s and 3s. Then find the difference which is equal to 10m.

So for
2 - 3 = 10m

s = 10m
u = ?
a = ?
t = 1s

Ball starts from rest. So u = 0.
S2 = 1/2*a*(2)^2...(1)
S3 = 1/2*a*(3)^2...(2)
Find S3 - S2, equate it to 10m, and solve for a.

Thanks for the help, I got 4m/s/s which is the right answer. :D

Related to Finding Acceleration of a Ball in Constant Motion

1. What is an accelerating ball?

An accelerating ball is a ball that is experiencing a change in its velocity, either increasing or decreasing, over time. This can be due to the influence of external forces such as gravity or friction.

2. How does acceleration affect the motion of a ball?

Acceleration affects the motion of a ball by changing its velocity. When the ball experiences constant acceleration, its velocity increases or decreases at a constant rate. This results in a change in the ball's position over time, causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

3. What factors can cause a ball to accelerate?

There are several factors that can cause a ball to accelerate, including the force being applied, the mass of the ball, and the presence of other external forces such as air resistance or friction. In addition, the surface on which the ball is rolling can also affect its acceleration.

4. How is acceleration measured for a ball?

Acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit represents the change in velocity over time, with a positive value indicating an increase in velocity and a negative value indicating a decrease in velocity.

5. Can an accelerating ball ever reach a constant velocity?

Yes, an accelerating ball can eventually reach a constant velocity if the forces acting on it become balanced. This means that the ball is no longer experiencing a change in its velocity and is instead moving at a steady speed in a straight line.