Finding acceleration of the pulley block system

In summary, the initial acceleration of mass 5M in the given system is 2g/21, which is different from the given answer of 2g/23. This is due to the assumption that the accelerations of M and 2M are equal, which is not true in this case as the pulleys are moving. However, the tensions in the strings are still equal because the pulleys are ideal and the string is inextensible. This can also be derived through a conservation of momentum argument.
Kashmir
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
What is the initial acceleration of mass 5M .The pulleys are ideal and the string inextensible.
1686744253394.png

My attempt-

2Mg-T=2Ma (for 2M)

T=Ma (for M)

Solving we get T=2Mg/3

T-N=5MA (for 5M)

N=2MA (for 2M)

Solving we get A=2g/21
but the given ans. is 2g/23

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw some diagrams. Which direction will mass 5 be moving? How much mass is it moving in that direction?

Likes topsquark
The 23 must be a typo.

I got 2g/21 as well.
Typos are not too common but it's already 3 of us getting that number.

Kashmir said:
What is the initial acceleration of mass 5M .The pulleys are ideal and the string inextensible.
[...]
Solving we get A=2g/21
but the given ans. is 2g/23
You do not say, but it seems likely that all of surfaces are frictionless.

Let me go through your work line by line... With the result that I agree with your answer.

Oh shoot, but that answer is indeed wrong. If we are adopting the inertial frame then the pulleys are moving. The horizontal acceleration of the top block will not match the vertical acceleration of the right side block.

The posted answer addresses this by temporarily adopting the accelerating frame and including the resulting inertial pseudo-force on the top block in its calculation for ##T##.

Which means that the remainder of this post is erroneous.
Kashmir said:
2Mg-T=2Ma (for 2M)
This is solid. It is based on a force balance in the vertical direction for the ##2M## block on the right. There is, we assume, no vertical friction from this horizontal contact.
Kashmir said:
T=Ma (for M)
Yes. This time it is a force balance in the horizontal direction for the ##M## block on the top. We do not care about the vertical direction. We assume that there is no horizontal friction.
Kashmir said:
Solving we get T=2Mg/3
Yes. The two tensions are equal because the pulley is ideal. The two accelerations are equal because the string is inextensible. You solve the simultaneous equations and determine the tension, ##T##.

One can obtain the same result from a physical intuition rather than brute force algebra. You have total mass ##3M## accelerating under net force ##2M/g## so the acceleation will be ##\frac{2g}{3}##. The tension required to produce this acceleration is then ##\frac{2Mg}{3}##
Kashmir said:
T-N=5MA (for 5M)
Now you seem to be doing a horizontal force balance on the ##5M## block. Those horizontal forces will be: ##2T## to the right from the left hand pulley, ##T## to the left from the right hand pulley and ##N## to the left from the contact force with the ##2M## block. So yes, this appears to be correct.
Kashmir said:
N=2MA (for 2M)
This is the force balance in the horizontal direction for the right hand ##2M## block. All seems to be in order.
Kashmir said:
Solving we get A=2g/21
I will solve this differently. With a conservation of momentum argument. (Or a third law argument -- the two are equivalent).

We have the top ##M## block accelerating leftward under a net force of ##\frac{2Mg}{3}##. Its rate of change of momentum over time is identical to this.

If momentum is conserved for the entire system and if the bottom ##5M## and ##2M## blocks accelerate together to the right then their rate of change of momentum over time must be equal and opposite: ##\frac{2Mg}{3}##.

Given the bottom block's combined mass of ##7M##, we can achieve this rate of change of momentum with an acceleration of:$$A = \frac {\frac{2Mg}{3}} {7M} = \frac{2g}{21}$$

Last edited:
I think 2g/23 is correct.

The problem i think is that we are assuming both accelerations for M and 2M to be same,which isn't true in this particular case.
2Mg-T=2Ma (for 2M)

T=Ma (for M)

The above two equations use the same value of a, which isn't correct.

Kashmir said:
I think 2g/23 is correct.

The problem i think is that we are assuming both accelerations for M and 2M to be same,which isn't true in this particular case.
2Mg-T=2Ma (for 2M)

T=Ma (for M)

The above two equations use the same value of a, which isn't correct.
But that's true because they're connected by a perfect string that's always in tension.
If you move the M block an x distance to the right, the 2M block will move the same distance upwards.
If their positions are directly related like that then their velocities and accelerations are equally linked. You'd obtain that conclusion through derivation.

Last edited:
Juanda said:
But that's true because they're connected by a perfect string that's always in tension.
That would be true if the pulleys were stationary. They are not.

jbriggs444 said:
That would be true if the pulleys were stationary. They are not.
Since pulleys are massless, it is indifferent whether they are stationary or not.

It could be assumed they're "made of ice" and the ropes are sliding on them without any friction obtaining the same result in the process.

As reckoned by an observer traveling to the right with the same acceleration "a" as that of the block relative to the ground (non-inertial frame of reference), the situation is the same as if there were a body force to the left on each of the masses, with a horizontal pseudo-gravitational acceleration equal to a. So, in this frame of reference, the force balances on the masses would be $$2Mg-T=2Ma_s$$and $$T+aM=Ma_s$$where ##a_s## is the downward acceleration of the 2M mass. If we eliminate T between these two equations, we obtain:$$a_s=\frac{2g+a}{3}$$So, $$T=M(a_s-a)=M\frac{2(g-a)}{3}=7Ma$$What does this give you for a?

Likes SammyS
Juanda said:
Since pulleys are massless, it is indifferent whether they are stationary or not.

It could be assumed they're "made of ice" and the ropes are sliding on them without any friction obtaining the same result in the process.
If you adopt the accelerating frame of reference where the big ##5M## block is at rest then you need an extra pseudo-force to explain the motion of the top ##2M## block.

If you adopt the inertial frame of reference then the pulleys are accelerating. The acceleration of the ##1M## top block will not match the acceleration of the ##2M## right hand block because the pulleys are accelerating.

Look at it this way:

In the accelerating frame, it is abundantly clear that the horizontal acceleration of the top (##1M##) block matches the vertical acceleration of the right hand (##2M##) block.

If we shift to the inertial frame, then we will have changed the acceleration of the top block without having changed the acceleration of the right hand block. So it is clear that they can no longer match.

Likes scottdave
jbriggs444 said:
If you adopt the accelerating frame of reference where the big ##5M## block is at rest then you need an extra pseudo-force to explain the motion of the top ##2M## block.

If you adopt the inertial frame of reference then the pulleys are accelerating. The acceleration of the ##1M## top block will not match the acceleration of the ##2M## right hand block because the pulleys are accelerating.

Look at it this way:

In the accelerating frame, it is abundantly clear that the horizontal acceleration of the top (##1M##) block matches the vertical acceleration of the right hand (##2M##) block.

If we shift to the inertial frame, then we will have changed the acceleration of the top block without having changed the acceleration of the right hand block. So it is clear that they can no longer match.
See my post # 11.

jbriggs444 said:

Look at it this way:

I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were talking about the rotation of the pulleys, not their linear movement.

However, I still cannot agree with you. Even if the pulley is linearly accelerating because it is part of the body 5M, the x movement of M (top block) will be the same as the y movement of 2M (vertical block) because the length of the string is fixed. Then, if the pulleys are massless or frictionless (the point is they don't contribute through rotation) the tension of the string will be the same on both sides.

As an example of what I mean, see the following:
1686759822888.png

The length of the string is independent of the acceleration of the bodies so the relation must stay true whether any of the bodies are accelerating or not.

If still in doubt, let's see the problem with forces being involved and the pulley being able to accelerate. External forces are shown in orange (weight and force on the pulley) and internal forces are in blue (tension in the strings).

1686762142303.png

TO SUM UP, in the problem from OP and the one I'm showing the tension is the same on both sides of the pulley as long as the pulley has no rotational inertia or it is not rotating at all (rope sliding without friction over it). Also, the movement of one block will be the same as the other in the axial direction of the rope.

If the pulley had rotational inertia it would be necessary to add how its angle relates to the position of the blocks. All the relevant independent equations are shown in the following picture:
1686762864081.png

See how I didn't use accelerated frames at any point. To be honest, I think there is no point on doing so. They add no insight and just make everything more confusing in my opinion.

Juanda said:
However, I still cannot agree with you. Even if the pulley is linearly accelerating because it is part of the body 5M, the x movement of M (top block) will be the same as the y movement of 2M (vertical block) because the length of the string is fixed. Then, if the pulleys are massless or frictionless (the point is they don't contribute through rotation) the tension of the string will be the same on both sides.
We agree that the tension throughout the string is the same. That much is not in question.

Juanda said:
As an example of what I mean, see the following:
View attachment 327865

The length of the string is independent of the acceleration of the bodies so the relation must stay true whether any of the bodies are accelerating or not.
The length of the string is fixed independent of the acceleration of the bodies. We agree on this as well.

However, your diagram here is a good one. You would say, I am sure, that the upward acceleration of ##m_1## here is equal to the downward acceleration of ##m_2##. Right?

But if the pulley is accelerating upward then this is no longer the case.
Instead, if the upward acceleration of the pulley is ##a_p##, the upward acceleration of ##m_1## is ##a_1## and the downward acceleration of ##m_2## is ##a_2## then can you agree that the rate that the string is shortening on the left hand side is ##a_1 - a_p## and the rate that the string is lengthening on the right hand side is ##a_2 + a_p##?

Setting those equal, we have ##a_1 = a_2 + 2a_p##. The acceleration of the pulley matters!

Juanda said:
See how I didn't use accelerated frames at any point. To be honest, I think there is no point on doing so. They add no insight and just make everything more confusing in my opinion.
You are mistaken.

Likes Chestermiller
Both approaches are equivalent. But, for this particular problem, solving it using a non-inertial frame of reference seemed much easier to me.

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
But if the pulley is accelerating upward then this is no longer the case.

I reviewed the problem and you are right. The accelerations of the two bodies are not necessarily the same since it depends on the linear acceleration of the pulley too.
1686767333691.png

I needed to plot the diagram again to fully understand the situation and this is what I got. For clarity's sake, I defined a global inertial frame positioned lower than all the bodies.
1686769547408.png

Therefore, the example I proposed would be solved with the 6 following equations that allow us to calculate the 6 variables ##T_1, T_2, \ddot{x}_1, \ddot{x}_2, \ddot{x}_3, \ddot{\theta }_3##:
1686769852272.png

NOTE: The problem could be simplified by assuming the pulley doesn't have rotational inertia or that its angular acceleration is 0 because there is no friction with the rope so it will simply slide over it.
jbriggs444 said:
You are mistaken.
I don't see how I could be mistaken on a personal preference. Is it mistaken to prefer pizza over burgers? What I meant by non-inertial frames not being especially useful to me is that any situation in classical physics can be described from an inertial frame instead of a non-inertial frame and it makes things clearer in my opinion. Sometimes this actually might make the math involved a little harder but clearer nonetheless. Fortunately, I no longer need to use "tricks" to solve problems quicker during tests so I can choose the inertial frame even if the process is significantly longer. Maybe one day I'll trust myself enough to solve problems using non-inertial frames but such day is yet to come.

Chestermiller said:
See my post # 11.
I did and most likely it is correct. However, I didn't quite get it. I've always had troubles with non-inertial frames and that's a fault of my own.

Chestermiller said:
Both approaches are equivalent. But, for this particular problem, solving it using a non-inertial frame of reference seemed much easier to me.
I believe I was initially wrong as discussed in this message. @jbriggs444 was right in calling out my mistake.
But it's true that the problem can be solved using both inertial and non-inertial frames.
Now, going back to OP's initial post, I solved the problem again following the same procedure as with the example I provided with an inertial frame, and this time I did get that the acceleration of the 5M body will be ##a_{5M} =\frac{2g}{23}##.

1686780552998.png

Attachments

• 1686769364670.png
    1686769364670.png
    25 KB · Views: 54
Likes jbriggs444
ANALYSIS USING INERTIAL FRAME OF REFERENCE

The kinematics of the motion are such that, if ##a_s## is the downward acceleration of the 2M mass, then the horizontal acceleration of the upper block of mass M relative to the left pulley is ##-a_s## (i.e., the mass M is accelerating in the negative x direction relative to the pulley). The left pulley is attached to the block 5M, which is accelerating to the right with horizontal acceleration ##a_b## in the inertial frame of the table top. So, relative to the inertial frame of the table top, the block has an acceleration of ##-a_s+a_b## in the positive x direction. So using an inertial frame of reference, the horizontal force balance on the mass M must read: $$-T=M(-a_s+a_b)$$or equivalently, $$T=M(a_s-a_b)$$

This is equivalent to the force balance I wrote in Post #11 for the mass M as reckoned from the non-inertial frame of the 5M block using a pseudo-force in the negative x-direction.

• Informative
Likes Juanda
Just to show some more steps:

1686835183407.png
The global frame of reference is fixed to the ground, and the FBD's show forces relevant to solving the problem.

Horizontal Direction for Block 1M

$$ T = M( a_1 - a_5) \tag{1}$$

Edit: ##a_1## is w.r.t the block 5M.

Vertical Direction for Block 2M:

$$ \begin{aligned} 2Mg - T &= 2Ma_2 \\ & \implies T = 2M(g-a_2) \quad\quad \text{(2)} \end{aligned}$$Given a positive acceleration ##a_2## will result in a positive acceleration ##a_1##, hence ##a_2 = a_1##, combine (1) and (2) with the constraint:

$$ \begin{aligned} M( a_1 -a_5) &=2M(g-a_2) \\ &= 2M(g-a_1) \\ & \implies a_1 = \frac{2g+a_5}{3} \quad\quad \text{(3)} \end{aligned}$$Horizontal Direction of Block 2M:

$$ \begin{aligned} -N &= -2Ma_5 \\ & \implies N = 2Ma_5 \quad\quad \text{(4)} \end{aligned}$$Horizontal Direction of Block 5M:

$$ \begin{aligned} T -2T + N &= -5Ma_5 \\ -T + N &= -5Ma_5\quad\quad \text{(5)} \end{aligned} $$

Combine (4) and (5) (substituting for N) to yield:

$$T = 7Ma_5 \tag{6}$$

Lastly combine (1) , (3) and (6) to eliminate ##T## and ##a_1##:

$$ \begin{aligned} \cancel{M}(a_1-a_5) = 7\cancel{M}a_5 \\ \frac{2g+a_5}{3} - a_5 = 7a_5 \\ & \implies a5 = \frac{2}{23}g \end{aligned}$$

I initially kept getting the wrong answer until realized that I had assumed a negative acceleration for block 5M in the horizontal force balance for block 1M. As a result, I needed to keep that assumption throughout the analysis (hence the negative signs on the RHS of (4) and (5) become important). Anyhow, thought I would share my trials and tribulations in case others were having the same difficulty there.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
erobz said:
Just to show some more steps:

View attachment 327898The global frame of reference is fixed to the ground, and the FBD's show forces relevant to solving the problem.

Horizontal Direction for Block 1M

$$ T = M( a_1 - a_5) \tag{1}$$

Vertical Direction for Block 2M:

$$ \begin{aligned} 2Mg - T &= 2Ma_2 \\ & \implies T = 2M(g-a_2) \quad\quad \text{(2)} \end{aligned}$$Given a positive acceleration ##a_2## will result in a positive acceleration ##a_1##, hence ##a_2 = a_1##, combine (1) and (2) with the constraint:

$$ \begin{aligned} M( a_1 -a_5) &=2M(g-a_2) \\ &= 2M(g-a_1) \\ & \implies a_1 = \frac{2g+a_5}{3} \quad\quad \text{(3)} \end{aligned}$$Horizontal Direction of Block 2M:

$$ \begin{aligned} -N &= -2Ma_5 \\ & \implies N = 2Ma_5 \quad\quad \text{(4)} \end{aligned}$$Horizontal Direction of Block 5M:

$$ \begin{aligned} T -2T + N &= -5Ma_5 \\ -T + N &= -5Ma_5\quad\quad \text{(5)} \end{aligned} $$

Combine (4) and (5) (substituting for N) to yield:

$$T = 7Ma_5 \tag{6}$$

Lastly combine (1) , (3) and (6) to eliminate ##T## and ##a_1##:

$$ \begin{aligned} \cancel{M}(a_1-a_5) = 7\cancel{M}a_5 \\ \frac{2g+a_5}{3} - a_5 = 7a_5 \\ & \implies a5 = \frac{2}{23}g \end{aligned}$$

I initially kept getting the wrong answer until realized that I had assumed a negative acceleration for block 5M in the horizontal force balance for block 1M. As a result, I needed to keep that assumption throughout the analysis (hence the negative signs on the RHS of (4) and (5) become important). Anyhow, thought I would share my trials and tribulations in case others were having the same difficulty there.
It is important to mention that ##a_1## is the acceleration of block M relative to block 5M.

Chestermiller said:
It is important to mention that ##a_1## is the acceleration of block M relative to block 5M.
I’m not sure it is? If the block 5M was fixed ## a_5 =0## the equations 1 and 2 reduce to ##a_1 = 2/3g##. That’s w.r.t. to the inertial frame. To me the quantity ##( a_1-a_5)## is the acceleration of block 1 w.r.t. the inertial frame. Maybe I’m under thinking it.

Last edited:
erobz said:
I’m not sure it is? If the block 5M was fixed ## a_5 =0## the equations 1 and 2 reduce to ##a_1 = 2/3g##. That’s w.r.t. to the inertial frame. To me the quantity ##( a_1-a_5)## is the acceleration of block 1 w.r.t. the inertial frame. Maybe I’m under thinking it.
That’s correct. Isn’t that consistent with my comment?

Likes erobz
Chestermiller said:
That’s correct. Isn’t that consistent with my comment?
Yeah, I think it is. I was under thinking it. ##a_1## is not with respect to the inertial frame, it’s relative to a fixed position on block 5M as you suggest.

I let a be the vertically down acceleration of 2M and a' be the acceleration to the right of 5M (and thus of 2M). T is the tension.
##2Ma'=2Mg-T##
M accelerates at a to the left relative to 5M:
##M(a'-a)=T##
Considering the horizontal forces on the 5M+2M+pulleys system:
##7Ma=T## ( the two Ts from the top string cancel).
Easy from there.

1. What is the formula for finding acceleration of a pulley block system?

The formula for finding acceleration of a pulley block system is a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 is the mass of the heavier block, m2 is the mass of the lighter block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you determine the mass of the blocks in a pulley block system?

The mass of the blocks can be determined by using a scale or balance to measure their weight. Alternatively, you can also use the density and volume of the blocks to calculate their mass.

3. Can the acceleration of a pulley block system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a pulley block system can be negative if the heavier block is moving downward and the lighter block is moving upward. This indicates that the system is decelerating or slowing down.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration of a pulley block system?

Friction can decrease the acceleration of a pulley block system by opposing the motion of the blocks. It can also cause the system to come to a stop if the friction force is greater than the force driving the system.

5. Are there any assumptions made when finding the acceleration of a pulley block system?

One assumption made is that the pulley and string are massless and frictionless, meaning they do not contribute to the overall mass or affect the motion of the system. Another assumption is that the string remains taut and does not stretch or break during the experiment.