Finding an application where an air/n-octane mixture is cooled

dpasini3
Homework Statement
I need to find a real-world application in which a working fluid (namely air and liquid n-octane) enters in a cylindrical duct kept at a constant temperature. The fluid enters with an higher temperature. The goal is to evaluate the local heat fluxes in two different flow rates (laminar and turbulent). I haven't been able to find any application.
Relevant Equations
Not required
For now, I just searched online for some kind of application relevant to the problem posed

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

dpasini3 said:
Homework Statement: I need to find a real-world application in which a working fluid (namely air and liquid n-octane) enters in a cylindrical duct kept at a constant temperature. The fluid enters with an higher temperature. The goal is to evaluate the local heat fluxes in two different flow rates (laminar and turbulent). I haven't been able to find any application.
Relevant Equations: Not required

For now, I just searched online for some kind of application relevant to the problem posed
Others can probably help you more, but for now I did a Google search on applications of n-octane and got some good hits, like this one:

https://www.haltermann-carless.com/products/n-octane

Applications

Like all alkanes (paraffins, saturated hydrocarbons), n-octane is a very good solvent for nonpolar substances, fats and oils. Especially in the pharmaceutical industry, it is used as an inert solvent, for purification, recrystallization and washing of active pharmaceutical substances.

Heavy greases or oils can be diluted with paraffins such as n-octane to facilitate application. It is also found as a component in paints, varnishes and adhesives.

The technically most important octanes, n-octane and iso-octane, are used in special adhesives for plastics and elastomers (rubber) because they do not dissolve the plastic.

To separate liquid chemical products, it can help to add paraffins such as n-octane to the mixture. So-called azeotropes (mixtures that cannot be separated by distillation) can be separated in this way in many cases. This process is used especially in the production of elastane fibers (Spandex, Lycra).
  • Solvents for non-polar substances
  • Purification of API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients)
  • Varnishes and paints
  • Adhesives, especially for plastics and elastomers
  • Thinners, cold cleaners
  • Process medium, separation of azeotropes

1. What is the purpose of cooling an air/n-octane mixture?

The main purpose of cooling an air/n-octane mixture is to decrease its temperature and increase its density. This results in a more efficient combustion process, leading to better performance and fuel economy in engines.

2. What types of engines use cooled air/n-octane mixtures?

Cooled air/n-octane mixtures are commonly used in internal combustion engines, such as those found in cars, trucks, and airplanes. They can also be used in gas turbine engines and rocket engines.

3. How is an air/n-octane mixture cooled?

An air/n-octane mixture can be cooled through a variety of methods, including intercooling and direct fuel injection. Intercooling involves passing the mixture through a heat exchanger, while direct fuel injection involves injecting a cooled liquid fuel directly into the combustion chamber.

4. What are the benefits of cooling an air/n-octane mixture?

Cooling an air/n-octane mixture can provide several benefits, including increased engine efficiency, improved power output, and reduced emissions. It can also prevent engine knock and detonation, which can cause damage to the engine.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to cooling an air/n-octane mixture?

While there are many benefits to cooling an air/n-octane mixture, there are also some potential drawbacks. These may include increased complexity and cost of the engine, as well as the need for additional components such as intercoolers or fuel injectors. Additionally, if not done properly, cooling the mixture can lead to decreased engine performance and efficiency.