Finding Angle and Intensity of Split Rocket at Maximum Height

In summary, the conversation discusses a rocket being fired from the ground at an initial velocity and angle, splitting into two equal parts at its maximum height. The first part is fired straight up at a velocity of half the initial velocity. The task is to find the angle and intensity of the second part. The solution involves analyzing the x and y components of the velocities and momentum, and it is discovered that the second part must have a vertical component of 500m/s in order to cancel out the y-components. A mistake is made initially due to forgetting that the mass splits, but the correct answer is eventually found.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired from from the ground at initial velocity of ##v_0## and at an angle ##\theta##. At its highest height it splits into 2 parts of equal masses. The first part is fired straight up and at velocity ##v_0/2##. Find the angle and intensity of the second part.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
At its maximum height the velocity has only the x component which is ##v_0cos\theta##. The momentum is ##p_0=mv_0cos\theta##. Since it has only the x component and the part which divides has the y component the second part must have an equal y component. Mening the ##v_{2y}=v_{1y}=v_0/2##. That would make the change in the y component of the momentum ##0##. Since that starting condition has total momentum in x direction the ##v_2## part must have the x component equal to the ##v_0cos\theta##. The intensity would then be ##\sqrt{v_{2y}^2+v_{2x}^2}##. Does this seem right couse when i use it in the problem given by the books where this intial velocity is ##1000## the angle ##60## i get ##v_y=500\sqrt{2}## and the book gives ##v_y=1118##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When the problem says that the first part is fired straight up, I think it means straight up relative to someone on the ground - not straight up relative to the moving projectile.

Likes doktorwho
Your method sounds correct in general, though I get a different answer from you when using that approach. I think the book is correct.
Perhaps you could show your working in detail.
I think you may be going wrong in the horizontal component, what you label v2y

Likes doktorwho
Merlin3189 said:
Your method sounds correct in general, though I get a different answer from you when using that approach. I think the book is correct.
Perhaps you could show your working in detail.
I think you may be going wrong in the horizontal component, what you label v2y
At the max heigth the velocity has only the x-component which is ##v_0cos\theta=500m/s##. Since it then splits into two parts they both must have 0 net y velocity and 500m/s in the x-component. ##v_{1y}=500m/s## and ##v_{1x}=0##. From there it follows that the vertical component of the second velocity must be ##500m/s## in order for the y-components to cancel out.
The x component must be equal to ##m*500m/s##. So ##\frac{m}{2}v_{2x}=m500##. So it should be ##1000m/s## Now i get it right. I forgot the fact that the mass splits so i thought that i have full mass of velocity 2. Good now.

Exactly where I went wrong myself at first attempt!

1. What causes an explosion?

An explosion is caused by a rapid increase in pressure and temperature within a confined space. This can occur due to chemical reactions, such as combustion, or physical processes, such as sudden decompression.

2. How does an explosion create momentum?

When an explosion occurs, the rapid release of energy creates a shock wave that propagates outward, pushing against surrounding objects. This creates a transfer of momentum, causing objects to accelerate away from the explosion.

3. Can explosions occur in space?

Yes, explosions can occur in space. However, they may not produce the same visual effects as explosions on Earth due to the lack of oxygen and atmosphere to fuel the reaction. These explosions may still create momentum and pose a danger to spacecraft and astronauts.

4. What factors influence the strength of an explosion?

The strength of an explosion is influenced by several factors, including the amount and type of explosive material, the confinement of the explosion, and the surrounding environment. The presence of oxygen and other combustible materials can also affect the strength of an explosion.

5. How are explosions studied and controlled?

Scientists study explosions through experiments and simulations, using specialized equipment to measure pressure, temperature, and other variables. To control explosions, safety protocols and regulations are put in place, and researchers work to develop safer explosive materials and techniques.