Finding change in altitude, and speed in x direction and y direction

In summary: The formula for the z coordinate at any time t is given by z(t) = sqrt(2)t. So, plugging in t=0 and t=10, we get z(0) = 0 and z(10) = 10*sqrt(2). The change in altitude is then the difference between these two values, which is 10*sqrt(2). In summary, the given conversation discusses a problem involving a crazed ostrich named Rhomboid and its movements along a mountain path. The coordinates of Rhomboid's position are given by r(t) = < e^t, e^-t, sqrt(2) t>. The conversation then goes on to discuss the change in altitude from t
yazz912
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
A crazed ostrich names rhomboid runs along a mountain path with coordinates given by
r(t) = < e^t, e^-t, sqrt(2) t>

B) what is the change in rhomboids altitude from t=0 to t= 10

C) what is rhomboids speed in x direction when t=4

D) what is rhomboids speed in y direction when t=4

E) find a formula for the total distance traveled by rhomboid from t= 0 to t=4

2. Homework Equations
• integration
•derivatives
3. The Attempt at a Solution

For part b) the first thing I thought to do was to integrate only the z component ( since it's height) and evaluate the integral from 0 to 10? Which I get 50*sqrt(2)

C) for speed in x direction do I take the magnitude of the derivative of e^t then plug t=4?
x'(t) = e^t
||x'(t)|| = e^t
Plug in t=4 I get 54.6

D) I do the same as C) only this time I use the y component ?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396562712.766847.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
yazz912 said:
For part b) the first thing I thought to do was to integrate only the z component ( since it's height) and evaluate the integral from 0 to 10? Which I get 50*sqrt(2)
Why are you integrating? What kind of beast is the integral of a position with respect to time?
C) for speed in x direction do I take the magnitude of the derivative of e^t then plug t=4?
x'(t) = e^t
||x'(t)|| = e^t
Plug in t=4 I get 54.6

D) I do the same as C) only this time I use the y component ?
Yes and yes.

That's what my group thought that we had to integrate... So how would we find change in altitude then?

yazz912 said:
That's what my group thought that we had to integrate... So how would we find change in altitude then?

Just find the change in the z coordinate betweent t=0 and t=10.

Dick said:
Just find the change in the z coordinate betweent t=0 and t=10.
Just by simply plugging it into the original Z coordinate?

yazz912 said:
Just by simply plugging it into the original Z coordinate?

Yes.

1. How do you find the change in altitude?

To find the change in altitude, you need to know the initial altitude and the final altitude. Subtract the initial altitude from the final altitude to get the change in altitude.

2. How do you find the change in speed in the x direction?

To find the change in speed in the x direction, you need to know the initial speed in the x direction and the final speed in the x direction. Subtract the initial speed from the final speed to get the change in speed in the x direction.

3. How do you find the change in speed in the y direction?

To find the change in speed in the y direction, you need to know the initial speed in the y direction and the final speed in the y direction. Subtract the initial speed from the final speed to get the change in speed in the y direction.

4. Is there a formula for finding the change in altitude and speed in x and y direction?

Yes, the formula for finding the change in altitude is final altitude - initial altitude. The formula for finding the change in speed in the x direction is final speed in x direction - initial speed in x direction. The formula for finding the change in speed in the y direction is final speed in y direction - initial speed in y direction.

5. Why is it important to find the change in altitude and speed in x and y direction?

It is important to find the change in altitude and speed in x and y direction because it can help us understand the motion of an object and how it is affected by different forces. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the object's future motion.