Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in a Pulley/Tension Problem

• Thread starter cdenne
  • Start date
In summary: The thread is closed because he didn't use proper free body diagrams and didn't solve the force balance equations correctly.
cdenne

Homework Statement

I have a problem about two masses: m1 sitting on a table and m2 hanging off the end of th table across a frictionless pulley. There is friction between m1 and the table, however. The system is released from rest and m2 falls 1 meter in 1.2 seconds. m1=10.0 kg, m2=5.00 kg. find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

I used x=.5at^2 to find a. I used m2g - T = m2a for m2 with down being positive and up being negative. And I used T - (mu)m1g = m1a for m1 with positive being the direction toward the end of the table.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used x=1 meter, t = 1.2 seconds in the first equation and solved for a to get a = 1.39 m/s^2. Then I solved the next two equations for T, set them equal to each other, then solved for mu to get mu = (m2g - m2a - m1a) / (m1g). This gave me a negative value for mu (-0.163) and I know that mu should be positive. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your arithmetic for this: mu = (m2g - m2a - m1a) / (m1g)

Chet

Lets see some FBD's first.

ME_student said:
Lets see some FBD's first.
He obviously used some correct FBDs, or he couldn't have written down the two force balance equations correctly.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Please show your arithmetic for this: mu = (m2g - m2a - m1a) / (m1g)

Chet
(5*9.8 - 5*1.39 - 10*1.39) / (10*9.8) = - 0.163

Alright. I just found my mistake. I don't know what I did on the calculator last night, but I kept getting -0.163. Now I get the correct value of 0.287. Thanks for your help. By the way, what are FBDs?

cdenne said:
By the way, what are FBDs?
Free Body Diagrams. You obviously used these to get your force balances.

Chet

Chestermiller said:

Chet
Thank you very much for your help.

Chestermiller said:

Chet

OP didn't know what a FBD was so I was going to start helping him/her by having him/her draw some FBD. BTW Mr. Chet if he used correct FBD's he wouldn't be here asking us questions. Obviously OP must have analyzed something wrong on his/her free body diagram.

ME_student said:
OP didn't know what a FBD was so I was going to start helping him/her by having him/her draw some FBD. BTW Mr. Chet if he used correct FBD's he wouldn't be here asking us questions. Obviously OP must have analyzed something wrong on his/her free body diagram.
Dear ME_student,

I stand by what I said, to wit: If he hadn't drawn proper free body diagrams, he would not have been able to write down the force balance equations correctly (which he was able to do). His difficulty was not in drawing free body diagrams and developing the force balance equations, but in solving the force balance equations. So, obviously OP must not have analyzed something wrong on his/her free body diagram. Based on 50 years of engineering experience, this is the determination that I made. When you have 50 years of experience, come back and we can discuss this further. In the meantime, this thread is Closed.

If you want to discuss the issue further, you can contact me via private conversation. But be advised that, as a Mentor, I'm beginning to get an itchy Warning finger.

Chet

Likes SammyS

Related to Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction in a Pulley/Tension Problem

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs around the wheel. It is used to change the direction or magnitude of a force.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object. The rope or belt used in the pulley system distributes the weight of the object over multiple strands, making it easier to lift.

What is a tension problem?

A tension problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object that is connected to a rope or cable. These problems often involve pulleys and require an understanding of tension, which is the force transmitted through a rope or cable when it is pulled taut.

How do you solve a pulley/tension problem?

To solve a pulley/tension problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the system, which shows all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use the equations of motion and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the tension in the ropes and the acceleration of the system.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys and tension problems?

Pulleys and tension problems have many real-life applications, such as in construction, transportation, and fitness equipment. For example, cranes use pulleys to lift heavy objects, elevators use pulleys to move between floors, and weightlifting machines use pulleys to provide resistance. Tension problems also come into play in situations like rock climbing and sailing, where ropes and cables are used to support and move objects.