Finding Coefficients for Coupled Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, this website explains how to determine the normal modes of a coupled oscillator using equatios. Once you have determined the coefficients for the modes, you can solve for them using Lagrangian mechanics.
mrandersdk
I've been looking at a coupled harmonic oscillator, and normal modes of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mode#Example_.E2.80.94_normal_modes_of_coupled_oscillators

At the bottom of this example it says:

This corresponds to the masses moving in the opposite directions, while the center of mass remains stationary. The general solution is a superposition of the normal modes where c1, c2, φ1, and φ2, are determined by the initial conditions of the problem.

What is the best way to determine these coefficients, given some initial conditions (start position and velocity)?

This is only for two masses, but the method should also work for n equal masses. It is fine if I need to program me out of it, but how should i do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to that website, the equatios are:

x1(t) = c1*cos(w1*t+phi1)+c2*cos(w2*t+phi2)
x2(t) = c1*cos(w1*t+phi1)-c2*cos(w2*t+phi2)

Taking the derivative, you get 2 more equations

v1(t) = -c1*w1*sin(w1*t+phi1)-c2*w2*sin(w2*t+phi2)
v2(t) = -c1*w1*sin(w1*t+phi1)+c2*w2*sin(w2*t+phi2)

If your initial conditions are:

x0_1 = x1(t=0)
x0_2 = x2(t=0)
v0_1 = v1(t=0)
v0_2 = v2(t=0)

then your equations become:

x0_1 = c1*cos(phi1)+c2*cos(phi2)
x0_2 = c1*cos(phi1)-c2*cos(phi2)
v0_1 = -c1*w1*sin(phi1)-c2*w2*sin(phi2)
v0_2 = -c1*w1*sin(phi1)+c2*w2*sin(phi2)

Now you have 4 equations and 4 unknowns and can solve the coefficients.

Last edited:
Actually, to solve this you need more variables and more equations. Instead of phi1 and phi2, use these:

sp1 = sin(phi1)
cp1 = cos(phi1)
sp2 = sin(phi2)
cp2 = cos(phi2)

Adding 2 new equations, you now have these 6 equations:

x0_1 = c1*cp1+c2*cp2
x0_2 = c1*cp1-c2*cp2
v0_1 = -c1*w1*sp1-c2*w2*sp2
v0_2 = -c1*w1*sp1+c2*w2*sp2
sp1^2+cp1^2 = 1
sp2^2+cp2^2 = 1

Once you've solved sp1,cp1,sp2, and cp2:

phi1 = atan2(sp1,cp1)
phi2 = atan2(sp2,cp2)

maybe I was a bit unclear, i know how to set up the equations, but what algorithm should i use to find the coefficients, especially when i need to scale it to n equal masses.

I would use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics" . It's basically an energy method approach to solving equations of motion for systems with multiple degrees of freedom much more quickly than using Newtonian mechanics. There are examples at the link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks. I know lagrangian mechanics, but need to solve it with Newtonian mechanics, because i need to explain it to someone who doesn't know it.

I've wrote the complex solution as the real and imaginary part and then i could solve it. Thanks for all your sugestions.

1. What is a coupled harmonic oscillator?

A coupled harmonic oscillator refers to a system of two or more simple harmonic oscillators that are interconnected or coupled in some way. This means that the motion of one oscillator affects the motion of the other oscillator, and vice versa.

2. What are some examples of coupled harmonic oscillators?

Some examples of coupled harmonic oscillators include a mass-spring system with multiple springs, a double pendulum, or a system of two atoms connected by a spring.

3. How does the motion of coupled harmonic oscillators differ from that of a single harmonic oscillator?

The motion of a single harmonic oscillator is characterized by a sinusoidal pattern with a constant amplitude and frequency. However, in a coupled harmonic oscillator, the motion of each oscillator is dependent on the other, resulting in a more complex motion pattern.

4. What is the significance of studying coupled harmonic oscillators?

Studying coupled harmonic oscillators allows us to gain a better understanding of complex systems and phenomena in nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry.

5. How is the behavior of coupled harmonic oscillators described mathematically?

The behavior of coupled harmonic oscillators can be described using differential equations, such as the equations of motion for each oscillator and the coupling between them. These equations can be solved to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of each oscillator at any given time.