Help with correct diameter for a timing belt project

In summary, the conversation discusses building equipment with a drum driven by a timing belt. The drum has a diameter of 11.25" and uses a drive belt with H pitch and 1/2" spacing between the teeth. The gear teeth on the drum are made of another belt of the same pitch, inverted and epoxied onto the drum. However, the teeth do not match up perfectly at a circumference of 36 10/16" inches, causing the drive belt to jump over after one revolution. The question is whether it is possible to adjust the teeth on the drum or if shimming up the teeth would be a better solution. The suggestion is to modify the drum so that its circumference is divisible by 0.
element 79
Hello, I'm building some equipment that has a drum driven by a timing belt. The drum is roughly 11.25" in diameter. The drive belt used is H pitch - 1/2" spacing between the teeth. For the gear teeth on the drum I'm using another belt of the same pitch, inverted and epoxied onto the drum. The teeth do not match up end to end perfectly around the drum at this diameter (36 10/16" inches around measured at the top of the teeth) I've been removing teeth and reattaching with epoxy in the correct position and have it to where it almost matches up but after one revolution the drive belt is off just a bit. I'm afraid the drive belt is just going to jump over. Is it possible to adjust the teeth on the drum this way to make it work right? Or if I was to shim up the drum teeth, what would be the next best diameter of the drum to get a correct mate or can it even be done using the same pitch belt for both drum gear and drive? Thanks for helping. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't had a reply yet so I will give an amateur's answer.

I think you need to modify the drum so that it has a circumference divisible by 0.5" (the pitch of the teeth in the belt).

Related to Help with correct diameter for a timing belt project

1. What is the importance of selecting the correct diameter for a timing belt project?

The diameter of a timing belt is crucial in ensuring proper functioning and longevity of the belt. If the diameter is not correct, it can lead to slipping, premature wear and tear, and ultimately, failure of the timing belt system.

2. How do I determine the correct diameter for my timing belt project?

The correct diameter for a timing belt can be determined by considering factors such as the size and weight of the pulleys, the desired tension on the belt, and the speed and power requirements of the system. It is important to consult with a timing belt manufacturer or use online calculators to ensure accuracy.

3. Can I use a timing belt with a smaller or larger diameter than recommended?

It is not recommended to use a timing belt with a diameter that is significantly smaller or larger than the recommended size. This can cause alignment issues, increased tension on the belt, and potential damage to the pulleys and other components of the timing belt system.

4. Are there any standard sizes for timing belt diameters?

Yes, there are standard sizes for timing belt diameters that are commonly used in industrial applications. These sizes are determined by the pitch of the belt, which refers to the distance between teeth.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when selecting the diameter for a timing belt project?

Some common mistakes include not considering the weight and size of the pulleys, not accounting for the tension and speed requirements of the system, and using a timing belt with a diameter that is too small or too large. It is important to carefully calculate and consider all factors to ensure the correct diameter is selected for a timing belt project.