Finding Constant for Ohm's Law: Correlation or OHMs Constant?

In summary, current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. The constant is Ohm's Law.
bambilmiller
1. Write the equation for each run in the form (potential=constant x current)
{the form has two numerical list to work with}

2. How do I find the constant from these 2 lists? Is it the correlation that the question is looking for? or, Is it OHMs constant, that the question is talking about??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bambilmiller and welcome to PF.

If I asked you to state Ohm's Law, what would you say?

It is the relationship among voltage, current and resistance. Where the current in a circuit is directly proportional to teh voltage established across teh circuit and is inversly proportional to the resistance of the circuit. I=V/R

Correct. Now can you answer question 1 and write the equation?
For question 2, look at your list. It has two columns of numbers. What are the symbols corresponding to the numbers that you know? Can you find an equation expressing the symbol that you don't know in terms of the symbols that you do know? If so, can you plug in numbers to find the unknown in terms of the known quantities for each line of your list?

That still does not answer my question. What is the constant? How do I figure out what it is?

bambilmiller said:
That still does not answer my question. What is the constant? How do I figure out what it is?
I told you how to figure it out. If you answer my questions first (there are three of them, please answer them in order), you will be led to the answer of your question.

bambilmiller said:

You could draw a graph for each table and see if you get a straight line. If so you might be able to see it is the same as y = 5x or y= 10x graph, or similar.

Is the correct equation for the first part V=IR ?

Solve V=IR for R.

Thank you everyone for all your help. The light bulb just went off! :)

Or on ?

Either way, it's all good!

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's Law used to find the constant for correlation?

Ohm's Law can be used to find the constant for correlation by measuring the voltage and current in a circuit and plotting them on a graph. The slope of the line on the graph represents the constant of proportionality, which is also known as the correlation constant or the Ohm's constant.

3. What is the significance of the correlation constant in Ohm's Law?

The correlation constant, or Ohm's constant, is an important value in Ohm's Law as it helps us understand the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It allows us to predict the behavior of electrical circuits and design them accordingly.

4. How is the Ohm's constant calculated?

The Ohm's constant is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current in a circuit. This is represented by the formula V/I = R, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. The value of R is the Ohm's constant.

5. Can the Ohm's constant change in a circuit?

No, the Ohm's constant is a fundamental constant in Ohm's Law and does not change in a circuit. However, it may vary for different materials and components used in the circuit, as they have different resistances. It is also affected by temperature and other environmental factors.