Solenoid with current carrying wire inside

In summary, The homework statement discusses a solenoid and how the magnetic field is affected. The wire down the middle has a magnetic field in the ##-\hat{a}_{\phi} ## direction, while the field from the solenoid turns in the ## \hat{z} ## direction.
meaghan

Homework Statement

I have a solenoid with a wire carrying current in the center. The wire has a radius of a, the solenoid has a radius of b. I need to find the magnetic field inside of each region. Inside of the wire, mu =/= muo.
upload_2017-10-29_13-28-58.png

Homework Equations

Wire B field = uo I/2*pi*r
Solenoid B field = N/length *I

The Attempt at a Solution

When the r<a:
mu*n*I/length - mu*I*r/(2*pi*a^2)

When a<r<b
mu*n*I/length - mu*I/(2*pi*r

When r> b
then the solenoid will have no magnetic field,
I*mu/2*pi*r

I'm confused how the different mu values would factor into the equation. I'm 90% sure I did this correct

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_13-28-58.png
    upload_2017-10-29_13-28-58.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 802
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field from the current carrying wire down the middle is in the ##- \hat{a}_{\phi} ## direction. Meanwhile, the magnetic field from the solenoid turns is in the ## \hat{z} ## direction.

Charles Link said:
The magnetic field from the current carrying wire down the middle is in the ##- \hat{a}_{\phi} ## direction. Meanwhile, the magnetic field from the solenoid turns is in the z-direction.
I forgot my directions. Does the wires having a different value for mu than air affect anything? I solved it first using H and then I got to getting the magnetic field and I was confused how it would affect it.

meaghan said:
I forgot my directions. Does the wires having a different value for mu than air affect anything? I solved it first using H and then I got to getting the magnetic field and I was confused how it would affect it.
The wire down the middle could be made of e.g. iron which is a reasonably good conductor, and is also a magnetic material. In this case, the equation ## B=\mu H ## applies, where ## H=B/\mu_o ## is the ## H ## field from the solenoid plus the ## H ## field from the current in its own wire. (Use Biot-Savart and/or Ampere's law to compute it). Note: ## \mu=\mu_o \mu_r ## where ## \mu_r ## is the relative permeability of the (iron) wire. (A value for ## \mu_r \approx 500 ## is quite common for iron). The wire of the solenoid is assumed to be of a non-magnetic material. ## \\ ## Additional item: It may puzzle you how the equation ## B=\mu H ## originates. The magnetic material (for uniform magnetization) has magnetic surface currents that generate a magnetic field (## B_m ##) inside the magnetic material that is equal to ## M ##, so that ## B=\mu_o H+M ## and ## M= \mu_o \chi_m H ##. This makes ## B=\mu H ## with ## \mu=\mu_o (1+\chi_m) ## . For an introduction to this concept, see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-field-of-a-ferromagnetic-cylinder.863066/ You can also just use the formula ## B=\mu H ##, but it is good to have some idea of the origins of this formula. ## \\ ## Additional note: In the above, I've omitted the vector symbol, but I'm really meaning ## \vec{B}=\mu \vec{H} ##, etc. ## \\ ## And additional item: The more common problem is the long solenoid with an iron core. This problem adds the additional detail of running a DC current through that iron core. One thing the problem could specify more clearly is that there are two different currents: that of the solenoid ## I_s ## , and that of the wire ## I_w ## .

Last edited:

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is tightly wound in a helix shape. It is typically made of copper or other conductive material and can be found in many electronic devices.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current is passed through the wire inside the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then be used to exert a force on objects, such as a metal rod placed inside the solenoid.

3. What is the purpose of a solenoid with a current carrying wire inside?

The purpose of a solenoid with a current carrying wire inside is to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. This can be used in a variety of applications such as in doorbells, car starters, and valves.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid depend on the current and number of turns in the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field in a solenoid is directly proportional to the current passing through the wire and the number of turns in the coil. This means that increasing either the current or the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with a solenoid with a current carrying wire inside?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with a solenoid. Since it uses electricity, there is a risk of electric shock if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and use appropriate protective gear when handling a solenoid.