Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function

In summary, the problem is to find a value for the delta such that for all x within a certain range, x^2 − 9 <= 0.2. Using the information that x is between 2 and 4 and that x+3 <= x-3, it is possible to find a value for the delta as 5 − 7.
Cosmophile
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
Hey, everyone! I'm helping a friend through his calculus course and we've come across something that has stumped me (see: the title). When I learned calculus, our treatment of the epsilon-delta definition of the limit was, at best, brief. Anyway, here is the problem:

Given ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} (x^2 -2) = 7## and ##\epsilon = 0.2##,
find ##\delta## such that for all ##x, \quad## ##0<|x-3|<\delta \implies |x^2 - 9| < 0.2##.

Here is my work so far:

$$0 < |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x^2 - 9| < 0.2$$
$$0< |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x+3||x-3| < 0.2$$
$$0 < |x-3| <\delta \quad, \quad |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}$$

...And there is where I get lost. I've found a connection between the absolute value expressions, but I can't find any way to make progress from there. I'm sure this is the wrong approach for any problems of this form where ##f(x)## has a degree ##>1##, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmophile said:
Hey, everyone! I'm helping a friend through his calculus course and we've come across something that has stumped me (see: the title). When I learned calculus, our treatment of the epsilon-delta definition of the limit was, at best, brief. Anyway, here is the problem:

find ##\delta## such that for all ##x, \quad## ##0<|x-3|<\delta \implies |x^2 - 9| < 0.2##.

Here is my work so far:

$$0 < |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x^2 - 9| < 0.2$$
$$0< |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x+3||x-3| < 0.2$$
$$0 < |x-3| <\delta \quad, \quad |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}$$

...And there is where I get lost. I've found a connection between the absolute value expressions, but I can't find any way to make progress from there. I'm sure this is the wrong approach for any problems of this form where ##f(x)## has a degree ##>1##, so any help is greatly appreciated!
I would not do this: |x+3||x-3|, you really only need the absolute value of the whole thing. But I would look at cases.
So for the case when x² ≥ 9, then |x² - 9| < 0.2 is the same as just (x² - 9) < 0.2
Then for the case when x² < 9, then |x² - 9| is the same as (x² - 9) > -0.2

That should make it easier than having two factors with absolute values, and dividing by absolute values, etc.

Last edited:
Thread closed for Moderation.

Thread moved to the schoolwork forums and re-opened. @Cosmophile -- please check your PMs.

SammyS said:
That should be (x2 − 9) > −0.2 .

(Likely a typo.)
Thanks, I fixed it.

Good.

By the way: Congrats on becoming an official Homework Helper !

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
SammyS said:
Good.

Thank You.
SammyS said:
Good.

Thank You. I'm honored.

Cosmophile said:

Here is my work so far:
$$0 < |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x^2 - 9| < 0.2$$ $$0< |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x+3||x-3| < 0.2$$ $$0 < |x-3| <\delta \quad, \quad |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}$$
The method suggested by @scottdave can get you the maximum value that can be used for ##\ \delta \, ##, but that's not the usual method used in a proof for the case where ε has an arbitrary value.

You have ##\displaystyle \ |x+3||x-3| < 0.2\,,\ ## giving ##\displaystyle \ |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}\ .\ ## So, if you can find some "upper bound" on ##\ | x+3|\,,\ ## then you can find a value for ##\ \delta\,.##

Certainly, we must have ##\ \delta < 1\ .## That implies that x is between 2 and 4 and thus ##\ | x+3|\ ## must be between 5 and 7.

Use this information to find a value for ##\ \delta\,.##

What is "Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function"?

"Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of delta (Δ) which satisfies a given epsilon (ε) in a quadratic function. It is commonly used in calculus and optimization problems.

Why is it important to find Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function?

Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function allows us to determine the smallest interval of inputs (delta) that will result in an output (epsilon) within a desired range. This is useful in various real-life applications, such as optimizing production processes or minimizing errors in measurements.

What are the steps to find Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function?

The steps to find Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function are as follows:

1. Write the quadratic function in the form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c.
  2. Substitute the given value of epsilon (ε) into the function, resulting in an equation in terms of delta (Δ).
  3. Solve for delta (Δ) by using the quadratic formula or factoring.
  4. Check if the value of delta (Δ) satisfies the given conditions and make any necessary adjustments.

Can Delta Given Epsilon be found with any type of function?

No, Delta Given Epsilon can only be found with quadratic functions. This is because quadratic functions have a specific form that allows us to isolate the variable delta (Δ) and solve for its value.

How can "Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function" be applied in real-life situations?

"Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function" can be applied in various situations, such as optimizing production processes, controlling error rates in measurements, and determining acceptable tolerances in engineering designs. It can also be used in economics to find the optimal price range for a product to maximize profits.