Finding dervivative of 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3

• Thread starter FaraDazed
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for the derivative of 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3 by applying the chain rule twice. The attempted solution breaks the problem down into two parts and finds the derivative of the second term (the one in parentheses) and then applies the product rule. If the math and thinking behind what was done is correct, then when the derivative of the second term is plugged into a derivative calculator the answer is different.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of [itex]4x^5(3x^2+3)^3 [/itex] by applying the chain rule twice.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had a go, but I have not used the chain rule twice so it probably will not be accepted even if it is mathmatically correct. But that is what I wanted to check, if the maths and thinking behind what I done is correct, as when I put it into a derivative calculator the answer is different.

What I did was break it down into two parts, using the chain rule to find the derivative of the second term (the one in paranatheses) and then applied the product rule.

I said...

If [itex]g=(3x^2+3)^3 [/itex] and [itex]h=3x^2+3 [/itex] and that [itex]c=h^3 [/itex]

Then, [itex]g'=h' \cdot c' = 6x \cdot 3(3x^2+3)^2 = 18x(3x^2+3)^2 [/itex]

Then if [itex] m=4x^5 [/itex] then [itex]y'=m' \cdot g + g' \cdot m [/itex]
[itex]y'=20x^4(3x^2+3)^3 + 18x(3x^2+3)^2 \\
y'=20x[x^3(3x^2+3)^3+\frac{9}{10}(3x^2+3)^2 ] [/itex]

Then I was not sure if doing this makes it look neater or even if its possible, as I am not too sure but if the above is correct then could I do...
[itex]20x(3x^2+3)^2[x(3x^2+3)+\frac{9}{10}] [/itex]

I would appreciate it if someone could check my maths and my method, and also to give advice on how to solve it by using the chain rule twice.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't multiply g' by m in the second term.

vela said:
You didn't multiply g' by m in the second term.

Oh yeah, duh!

So then it is...

[itex]
y'=20x^4(3x^2+3)^3 + 18x(3x^2+3)^2 4x^5 \\
y'=20x^4(3x^2+3)^3 + 72x^6(3x^2+3)^2 \\
y'=x^4[20(3x^2+3)^3 + 72x^2(3x^2+3)^2 ] \\
[/itex]

I don't see how you can apply the chain rule twice in this problem.

One suggestion I have would be to pull the constants out front in the beginning to make the numbers easier to deal with.
$$y = 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3 = (4\times3^3)[x^5(x^2+1)^3]$$ Then you just differentiate ##x^5(x^2+1)^3## and multiply the result by 108 in the end.

vela said:
I don't see how you can apply the chain rule twice in this problem.

One suggestion I have would be to pull the constants out front in the beginning to make the numbers easier to deal with.
$$y = 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3 = (4\times3^3)[x^5(x^2+1)^3]$$ Then you just differentiate ##x^5(x^2+1)^3## and multiply the result by 108 in the end.

OK, thanks for your help :) . I just double checked the question, it is a question with like 10 parts, (a, b, c, and so on) that came after another similar question with lots of parts. I seemed to have missed where the one question finished and the other started, so for the function talked about here, it does not ask for the chain rule to be applied twice. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the first step in finding the derivative of 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3?

The first step is to use the power rule to bring down the exponent in front of the variable, resulting in 20x^4(3x^2+3)^3.

2. Can the product rule be used to find the derivative of this expression?

Yes, the product rule can be used to find the derivative of this expression. However, the power rule can also be used since the expression is in the form of a polynomial multiplied by a polynomial.

3. What is the next step after applying the power rule?

The next step is to use the chain rule to find the derivative of the inner function, 3x^2+3. This will result in a coefficient of 6x(3x^2+3)^2.

4. How can the chain rule be applied to this expression?

The chain rule can be applied by taking the derivative of the inner function, 3x^2+3, which is 6x, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the outer function, 4x^5, which is 20x^4. This results in a final answer of 120x^5(3x^2+3)^2.

5. Can this expression be simplified any further?

No, this expression cannot be simplified any further. The final answer, 120x^5(3x^2+3)^2, is the simplified derivative of 4x^5(3x^2+3)^3.